Transmission cooler line questions

toby

Jan 21, 2011
Guys and dolls, I found a place to get the hoses you and I have been looking for. My cooler lines just started leaking at 42000 miles so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I just ordered a set of lines that I think will solve all of the problems. and check it out. My set should be hear in a couple of days and I can't wait to get them put on. So far they have had no reported problems since the summer of 2009. You can order a set of all three or individual hoses in 1/2'' or 5/8". They are hydraulic hose all the way and look like a real fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwillford

Mar 29, 2011
Here is what we came up with. I didn't wan't a braided hose so we went this route. It is rated at 2500 psi and plenty flexible.
This is what I would like to do. Do you have the Aeroquip numbers you used for this repair. Have you had any leaking issues yet?

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Is it a bad idea to remove the cooler line from the radiator and just run straight through the trans cooler? Gonna get new lines made next week @ Hose Power and I was considering this.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Is it a bad idea to remove the cooler line from the radiator and just run straight through the trans cooler? Gonna get new lines made next week @ Hose Power and I was considering this.

There is a reason why the cooler line goes into the radiator first. First of all the outside air cooler needs lots of air to cool and you don't get any air below 35 mph. The radiator heat exchanger will give the trans fluid a big knock down in temps before it goes to the outside cooler. Without the heat exchanger you will overheat the trans.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Bump
My fancy updated GM lines are leaking again, this is the 5th set of GM lines that I've gone through. :(

Wicked. When I talked to Stettler GM he said he hadn't heard of any coming back yet of the updated ones. Mine were replaced before the updated ones came out so I still have the shitty leakers on. I'm just going with Hyd hose and being done with it!

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yep, I'm going with hyd lines or something like that this time around.:thumb: To be fair the updated ones lasted longer than the others:rolleyes: About 18 months and 40 000km on this set.

Edmeyers

Aug 16, 2011
I have a client that has one with leaky lines my question is why is there three lines

I am a dodge guy and we often remove the heat exchanger and install an aux tranny cooler build custom lines and call it good

On my personal truck tranny temps never get over 140 unless sitting in traffic then 180 at the most

Running the fluid through the radiator will only result in higher tranny temps

Forgive me I don't have one of these trucks to play with so I can't see what's going on
Does anyone know the size and type of fitting that goes into the tranny

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I built my own hose when I put Abby's transmission in. LB7 & LLY trucks have different sized push lock fittings. So to be able to use Abby's cooler and trans with my Lilly radiator I had to go MacGuyver on it a little bit. The hose is Caterpillar cloth braided with reusable fittings, -12 jic I believe were the fittings into the cooler and trans & rad. A little caution on the LLY radiator heat exchanger, it will fall into the radiator if you pull both fittings out at the same time.
IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Last edited:

kjp800

-
Aug 6, 2008
New Jersey
Anybody know what the threads are where the cooler lines go into the trans? I know that the 01-02s are smaller than the 03+. They aren't JIC or pipe threads, I want to run hyd. lines all the way from the trans to the coolers using JIC fittings, just how you did Burn Down.

Headless_Horseman

Street Sleeper
Sep 27, 2011
Stn Mtn. Ga/Iraq
I had Hydraulic lines made. David at DTS took care of that for me and hasnt dripped one bit since. Mine started dripping last Nov. with less than 35k on my truck. Hydraulic lines solved that problem and I have yet to look back. You might call him about getting a set made