Transmission cooler line questions

Rebelchevy87

Nov 21, 2008
Whitmore Lake, MI
My dad noticed some spots on the Driveway when I was home for christmas, low and behold my tranny cooler line is leaking. Truck has 58k on it now, 1st time I've noticed it, fluid is still good, only a tiny leak, but very annoying. Gonna have this, my burnt out HVAC and Steering wheel control lights replaced under warranty as soon as the weather is good enough to drive the beater (and I fix it). GM has always had problems w/ the rubber to metal connections. Anyone ever see oil filter lines on a 4.3L blazer/jimmy that didn't leak?

kodiak

Sep 25, 2007
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=TOC

What about these fittings?? They are made for the Allison lines. I have not tried them yet, but this is about the only way I will be able to add a tranny cooler to my truck.

# FK-A1000 Fitting Kit- adapts 5/8 ORB line fitting to 3/4 JIC
Adapter kits for some GM Duramax Trucks that use 5/8" Snap-in cooler line.
Converts the factory 5/8" ORB line fitting to a 3/4" JIC fitting.
Remove cooler line fitting from Radiator or small cooler.
Install MALE ORB - JIC fitting in radiator after checking for same thread type!.
Install Female ORB fitting

Last edited:

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=TOC

What about these fittings?? They are made for the Allison lines. I have not tried them yet, but this is about the only way I will be able to add a tranny cooler to my truck.

# FK-A1000 Fitting Kit- adapts 5/8 ORB line fitting to 3/4 JIC
Adapter kits for some GM Duramax Trucks that use 5/8" Snap-in cooler line.
Converts the factory 5/8" ORB line fitting to a 3/4" JIC fitting.
Remove cooler line fitting from Radiator or small cooler.
Install MALE ORB - JIC fitting in radiator after checking for same thread type!.
Install Female ORB fitting

That site looks familiar:D Those fittings are for the cooler though. Why not just use 1/2" brass compression fittings on the hard line then just use flex hose inbetween? Eliminating the rubber flex hose.

kodiak

Sep 25, 2007
Yep...my mistake, I thought the lines were leaking at the cooler/radiator. I did not know that they were leaking at the compression fittings. Kodiaks, don't have these.:D

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I noticed mine started leaking again:mad:! It was about this time last winter it started and had to get fixed. First time it was one of lines that went to the cooler. Now it's one of them that runs to the radiator. I'm going to fix it myself as my confidence in the dealers around here aren't the best and they would probably deny my warranty from the tranny cooler I installed since I'm sure they have a hard enough time getting money from gm on warranty work.

Last edited:

ruffmanatv

Yeah, its got a D-Max!
May 9, 2008
Van Wert, OH
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288332

Here is what one of the guys did on DP. He replaced the rubber hose and crimped part with Aeroquip fittings and hose. This is what I am going to do when it gets a bit warmer out.

I've seen numerous post on here for the leaking trans cooler lines. My truck has been leaking since I bought it in Ga this past summer. Moving to Alaska has not helped the situation at all. I have the standard warranty on the engine/trans but not on the rest of the truck. The dealer would not warranty the lines, and judging by everyone thats having problems, they would be leaking again soon anyway. So I did some homework and figured out which fittings I would need to make up the lines myself. I fixed one line that was leaking the worst. The hardest part was getting the clip back in the keeper where the line goes into the radiator cooler. I figured out that taking out my air filter housing makes life much easier. I used aeroquip fittings and hose. The stock tube is 5/8's or -10AN. I flared the tube on one end and used the appropriate nut and sleeve on that end and a non-flare compression sleeve and nut on the other end. I used -10AN to -8AN reducers and the required straight connectors for PFTE (teflon) braided hose. I know the hose is overkill with its 1500 psi rating, but I had it laying around and decided to use it, plus it looks cool. The ID of the -8AN is still big enough to not cause any flow reductions as I understand it. I plan on doing up the other two lines as they are also leaking. I found the fittings at a local hydraulics repair/supply shop for heavy equipment. Hope this helps out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way
Has anyone heard about the new updated GM lines that came out around Dec 15, or is it just a rumor? Part numbers? Thanks.

Just had mine replaced on tuesday. Would have been done last week but the lines weren't in stock. I will look at the work order and see what part numbers are on it. Had the ISS done at the same time. Stupid cheap parts.

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
OK. Here are the part numbers listed on the workorder:

020759972 Pipe
020759973 Hose

So is this an updated fix from gm that works? My lines in the last few days have been leaking pretty bad says my garage floor. :mad: I am at 32k something and need to get them fixed one time and one time only. Recommedations anyone? Thanks

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
So is this an updated fix from gm that works? My lines in the last few days have been leaking pretty bad says my garage floor. :mad: I am at 32k something and need to get them fixed one time and one time only. Recommedations anyone? Thanks

I called the dealer and yes these part numbers are a new release 3 months ago and they do fix the issue. The service manager told me they have been a hot item and they do stock them:rofl: He also said they have not seen any return issues with them in the few short months of being released. I am set up to take my truck in on 4-8-09 and I hate the thought of having it at the dealer. Back to stock tuning I go and nevermind the otherthings.....

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
I called the dealer and yes these part numbers are a new release 3 months ago and they do fix the issue. The service manager told me they have been a hot item and they do stock them:rofl: He also said they have not seen any return issues with them in the few short months of being released. I am set up to take my truck in on 4-8-09 and I hate the thought of having it at the dealer. Back to stock tuning I go and nevermind the otherthings.....

OT, but what is the 4" GM Performance exhaust? Is it a cat back or filter back or what? How is it?

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
OT, but what is the 4" GM Performance exhaust? Is it a cat back or filter back or what? How is it?

It is a performance exaust system from gm. The muffler has (GM PERFORMANCE) stamped into it. I special ordered it from dealer. Gm also offered a cat delete pipe but it was much cheaper to go after market. I ran cat back for a bit but then got the delete pipe and put it in. I will find the part numbers and add them here when I find them, I could not find it on the net anymore:confused:

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
Has anyone tried these new lines yet? Thanks.

I got them put on my truck last wed. I have a total of 26 miles on them because I drove my truck home into the garage and checked them out. They look like they mught just fix the issue of leaky lines. But while in the garage I decided it was time for the transynd and new filters, so I jacked the entire truck up and set it down on stands. After changing filters and fluid I decided to pull the wheels off and polish them. Cleaning polished aluminum after a salty winter is a huge pita....