Top 25 Stock Duramax's

straightpiperoar

Jul 20, 2009
Whats wrong with ppe tuning..I've been around a handful of trucks with their tuners and not one problem...And they all ran really well

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but I have to admit I am skeptical. I cant just take someone's word for it when an unknown runs a number like that, let alone on a box tuner.

PPE has good tuning for a handheld, but IMO its not "12.0" good, not on a stock turbo truck. You'd need 555hp to run that 12.0 at 6200lbs. No way PPE outputs that without help, what with the bare-minimum mods that truck has.
I ran the old Hot+2, and the race tune was very aggressive and harsh, ran like a raped ape....but a 12.60 ape. I understood the newer Hot tunes did not run that well. If they've gone back and modified the tunes to run harder on the stock fuel system, then you'd think there would be more uber-fast stock trucks out there, considering the number of people running those tunes. Best runs I've heard of are 12.3s-12.4s up til yesterday, dynos typically in the 515-520 range. The numbers just dont add up to me. Either the truck weighs a heck of a lot less than they think (5900lbs makes 525hp viable), or there are some other mods not being revealed.

Can anyone else vouch for this person and the validity of the truck combo? Again, I am sorry if I offend, but I want to get this right and not get burned later for it.

Last edited:

Gmclbz

Jul 8, 2008
www.upstatedieselperformance.com
I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but I have to admit I am skeptical. I cant just take someone's word for it when an unknown runs a number like that, let alone on a box tuner.

PPE has good tuning for a handheld, but IMO its not "12.0" good, not on a stock turbo truck. You'd need 555hp to run that 12.0 at 6200lbs. No way PPE outputs that without help, what with the bare-minimum mods that truck has.
I ran the old Hot+2, and the race tune was very aggressive and harsh, ran like a raped ape....but a 12.60 ape. I understood the newer Hot tunes did not run that well. If they've gone back and modified the tunes to run harder on the stock fuel system, then you'd think there would be more uber-fast stock trucks out there, considering the number of people running those tunes. Best runs I've heard of are 12.3s-12.4s up til yesterday, dynos typically in the 515-520 range. The numbers just dont add up to me. Either the truck weighs a heck of a lot less than they think (5900lbs makes 525hp viable), or there are some other mods not being revealed.

Can anyone else vouch for this person and the validity of the truck combo? Again, I am sorry if I offend, but I want to get this right and not get burned later for it.

:thumb:

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
JoshH has seen the truck, Straightpiperoar(mike), jpowel, emiller, me and I'm sure more? What kind of proof do you need? I've been running vince for years and just cause he's not one of the click you don't believe? Figures....

He will be running at TS so whom ever can look under the hood.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la

I can vouche, I have been there with Vince and seen him do it...I seen his run 12.50s with only a transgo Jr...I know he doesnt have spray, his turbo popped and now has a turbo off of a LMM. It is unmodified from my understanding... He just has a strong running truck... I think it is just a good healthy truck. Some are just freaks and i think his is one. I had breakfast with vince at world finals and i can tell you, he sure seems like a honest fella...Very new to the game too! He didnt even know that there was a top 25 list a couple of weeks ago in Ennis, Tx. until i told him... Obviously, i cant say 150%, but just from me hanging around his truck a little and him... this number doesnt surprise me... If a truck has the fuel system to fully supply that of what the PPE commands, then i dont see why it wouldnt perform as such. The PPE does not drive nearly as nice as a good EFILIVE tune, however, as far as WOT...if the truck can support what its desiring fully, i think it would easily compete. Congrats again Vince.

:thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
JoshH has seen the truck, Straightpiperoar(mike), jpowel, emiller, me and I'm sure more? What kind of proof do you need? I've been running vince for years and just cause he's not one of the click you don't believe? Figures....

He will be running at TS so whom ever can look under the hood.

I was afraid you'd take it like that, Tark. Look, I apologized ahead of time....no offense is intended, but I have to ask....especially a truck that nobody knows anything about.
Any runs that push the top spot have to be checked. I had to ask these questions of Dudgy last year. I asked Charles more about his truck. I even asked Jeff for more info when he ran his truck, and Ive known him online for years. It has absolutely nothing to do with any "clique", I'm just trying to make sure I have good info. This isnt Ken's Top50 where anything goes.

To me the tune, the minimum mods, the weight and the time dont mesh, no matter how strong the truck is claimed to be. Does it have an LMM charger on it like Kory said? If so, explain to me how a more-restrictive charger is helping make it faster by at least 2 tenths over known times?

Thanks for the info, Kory. That was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. It makes a huge difference if you can carry 26K rail down the track with minimal fall off.

Last edited:

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
I am no expert but with the fuel he has available and the smaller wheel he can drive the charger harder? Sounds good? His truck is just a freakishly fast truck. Yes, as soon as he built his trans the lbz turbo let go. So he had to put something on for Tx and I guess it worked.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I can vouch for Vince's truck as well. I'll admit I was a little skeptical when Gaylon texted me last weekend and told me what it ran. I think it was last year he had an issue with smoking the lights on a run or two, but after seeing three slips with very similar ETs and no funky 60' times, everything sure seems legit. Definitely one of those freak trucks.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
First thing I checked was the 60' cause I suspected smoked lights at first too. But he has the mph... So thats legit. The mods now are in question, but if these few guys think its a stock truck, I'll have to believe them I think.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Times

I think it is possible to run the numbers. My truck motor is 100% stock air box everything nothing that didn't come from gm. So if a guy was to have a few bolt on's it should help. To run my times I ran a 1.53 60' time. I was leaving with 30 lbs of boost. I would assume he was running on a race tire? I would have thought the 60' would have been better to run the number but maybe I just can't make mine run out the back. I will be putting the race tires back on in the future to try and get in the 11's. I just don't have time now with getting the dragster going. Good luck to anyone trying to place within this list. It's hard to do it with setup and tuning! Congrat's again. Jeff

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
I think it is possible to run the numbers. My truck motor is 100% stock air box everything nothing that didn't come from gm. So if a guy was to have a few bolt on's it should help. To run my times I ran a 1.53 60' time. I was leaving with 30 lbs of boost. I would assume he was running on a race tire? I would have thought the 60' would have been better to run the number but maybe I just can't make mine run out the back. I will be putting the race tires back on in the future to try and get in the 11's. I just don't have time now with getting the dragster going. Good luck to anyone trying to place within this list. It's hard to do it with setup and tuning! Congrat's again. Jeff

Hey Jeff are you leaving in 1st or second gear? And are you still running 3.73's or 42's?