The throttle stomp, count to three then go thread.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The stock MAF table is very limiting, especially if you add an LBZ intake. Listen to Josh he is right.

If you dont know what the MAF table does dont assume that maxing it out wont work, personally I click on the table add 100% to all values and that usually fixes it, Josh is using the same idea but goes about it a little more aggressively. I know what the MAF table does. I also know the LBZ/LMM's don't have as many MAF parameters we can change either.

LBZ if the MAF table fix doesnt work maybe you need to work on keeping your turbo lit, boost tables, vane tables, pay attention to min and max vane position, add low end fuel, remove (or add) some timing depending on what you have, there are thousands of ways to make a truck go

Again, bone stock trucks have this problem so the mp has nothing to do with it. I need to hook up a drive pressure gauge to mess with my vane position and maybe this might also help fix the issue. If a guy can get the turbo to spool super fast like can be done with non VNT's, maybe this issue might go away......

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I was thinking about the VVT thing too. But then I dismissed that right away because they are engineered for fast spool along with the side affect of not needing a wastegate lol. But I really think they do spool up faster than a fixed turbo, even from a roll (as long as you dont brake boost the fixed turbo) It could be just a delay telling the vanes to change, but if you had them closed earlier wouldn't you be running really high boost when it isn't neccessary too.

Like I said though messing wiht the MAF did help, not totally but it was something to start wiht

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I honestly think that B0201 holds back a stock truck. When you add an aftermarket intake this problem is further aggrivated.

Ive yet to do alot of vane tuning but I do also agree that the VNT causes some lag and I think it has to do with vane position. However I would have considered my 2001 to be laggy to downshift and go and it was around 450hp and only 6100lbs so maybe there is some TQ management holding us back? MAF adjustment definately helps.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I know when Simon was playing with drive pressure he could get his VNT to spool too quick!! I would like to eliminate the turbo as a problem area so we can move on to the next thing.

Thanks for the help with this guys. For 2 years this has been pissing me off so I'm glad finally we are making some progress!!:thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I honestly think that B0201 holds back a stock truck. When you add an aftermarket intake this problem is further aggrivated.

Ive yet to do alot of vane tuning but I do also agree that the VNT causes some lag and I think it has to do with vane position. However I would have considered my 2001 to be laggy to downshift and go and it was around 450hp and only 6100lbs so maybe there is some TQ management holding us back? MAF adjustment definately helps.

I don't disagree but I don't think any tuning done to the MAF alone will make up the 2 second delay. There has to be more to it.

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I've ask before wiht no response.. Would running higher rail pressure in the lower rpms help? Not enough to make it sound like its about to die, but just thinking it could be a cp3 having to try and build enough pressure before she finally goes

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I don't really think so. Fuel delivery as far as maintaining rail doesn't seem to be an issue really. Altough I haven't looked at any logs to confirm it either way.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm sure the turbo is part of the lag, but the MAF gets rid of the lag it takes for the engine to apply full fueling. If you play with tuning, you can probably get the spooling a little quicker, but you will always have a little bit of turbo lag. In the log that I posted a screen shot of, the delay from 100% throttle to full fuel quantity is almost 1/2 second. That is a pretty long delay.

If Ben wants to get some more logs with speed and RPM (both with stock and modified MAF tables), we may be able to see a little better how the truck's response changes.

Midnightrider

Jan 5, 2010
my opinion why with out the tuning equations but with lots of turbo experience is you're coming from low rpm and locked converter. Its not a balanced N/A 427, the motor recieves the mashed throttle command, has to spool, kick out the L/U, then down 2 gears. If im not mistaken the allison is hydromatic and would require a drastic rpm change then react to it unless manually operated with the shift lever or tap shifter. just my opinon to the delay.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
As was discussed with another member here, could someone try something for me?
Take your desired RP and progressively max it out all the way across the board from say 1200rpm/40mm3 up and see what happens.

I have no idea how it is going to run but it was suggested maybe it's waiting for RP to come up before it starts fueling-worth a shot I think!!

Last edited:

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
In the log that I posted a screen shot of, the delay from 100% throttle to full fuel quantity is almost 1/2 second. That is a pretty long delay.

What about a 4 second delay from 100% throttle to full boost(at idle)(not full fuel) ive learned to live with it becuase everything ive tried has done nothing.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'm going to look at it after the weekend and try somethings that have been suggested. Log some stuff.