Street Duramax Trucks to be banned

mvnvltn

Part's Limit Tester
Aug 22, 2007
Sykesville, MD
I agree Tony...Dont run ANY DHRA events....I have never ran one of there events and dont plan on it until there is a bunch of changes made.....They are to biased on to many decisions

If I'm not mistaken, alot of local tracks run off NHRA / DHRA rules.

dmax tim

just wanta have fun
Aug 16, 2006
Freddyville, Ohio
Racing has been and will always keep doing this crap.

I had a super street 68 camaro w/ a mostly stock ls-6 454. I get a 23 T altered and drop the motor in it, all of a sudden I got to get all this SFI crap, balancer, flexplate, shields and 3 layer full fire suit, because it's an 8 second ride. the motor is working easier w/ the loss of over a ton of weight. belts and other stuff is good for 2 years from DoM. it got to be toooo much BS just for a few fast runs since it sucks to bracket race w/ a 3-10 second delay.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I just posted over at CD that it was too much truck for Gary. I will probably get ripped pretty good over that. Ron at Suncoast built the trans and had this truck for 2 weeks and was going to buy it. The truck was so squirrley he decided he wanted no part of it. This truck would not go straight and should have never been on the track with an inexperienced driver.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I like how the video is about proper safety equipment..how about the drivers getting certified actually are able to handle the vehicle?

MAX707

Mar 4, 2008
Big surprise TTS is endorsing it. He is getting tired of getting owned by EFILive and PPE trucks across the country.
That's funny because now he's got one more PPE truck to deal with this summer!:rofl:! I think sometime this week I'm going to take it for roll cage fitting. What thicknes tubing would you recomend for a 8 point roll bar considering future rule change in mind? Any info would be a big help. Thanks!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
That's funny because now he's got one more PPE truck to deal with this summer!:rofl:! I think sometime this week I'm going to take it for roll cage fitting. What thicknes tubing would you recomend for a 8 point roll bar considering future rule change in mind? Any info would be a big help. Thanks!

The most important thing is not the tubing itself, but how it's installed. Most rollbar/cage failures are at attach points or welds, NOT the bar bending.

If you are feeling paranoid, go with the Mild Steel thickness but use the Chrome Moly instead.

MAX707

Mar 4, 2008
The most important thing is not the tubing itself, but how it's installed. Most rollbar/cage failures are at attach points or welds, NOT the bar bending.

If you are feeling paranoid, go with the Mild Steel thickness but use the Chrome Moly instead.
Thanks for the info. I will do a 8 point roll bar with thick Chrome Moly.

MAX707

Mar 4, 2008
Pat your post that got you a vacation on CompD has to be the funniest, but most truthfull post yet. And the Dennis Perry remark was 10X better!:rofl: This TDR diesel government's got to go!!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I want to see those wingnuts put a rollbar in their daily drivers BEFORE they dictate to others.

I have two street driven vehicles with rollbars in them, and it sucks. But that is the NHRA rule for the type of racing I do, so I comply.

The last thing we need is guys who are SUPPOSED to be on our side, working diligently to stab their diesel hotrod brethren in the back.

I say boycott all shops/sites that want our trucks to have stricter rules than gasoline vehicles. That list is so far: TTS, TS Performance, CompD, ???.

Just because it's diesel, doesn't mean it has to be dangerous.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
They would have to revamp all the rules for it to even make since. How much does a RC SB 2500 diesel weigh compared to a 3500 CC Dually with an 8.1? The rules can't be bent to only hurt us and they would have to put wieght and time classes on everything NHRA. He waited way too long to let out of it, then got back into after bouncing off the left wall. It looks like the radial/bias combo that was already talked about and that was a 1500 ram that wasn't made to have the weight of a Cummins in it to begin with. Back to my previous post - if that was a unibody I can almost guarantee it would have been on it's roof halfwaf through that accident.

MAX707

Mar 4, 2008
I would deffinateley support a boycott of any Racing Organization or Parts Distibutor/Manufacturer that doesnt take the how do we make this thing fair, but safe at the same time attitude. The CompD attitude (EastCoast/Southern Republican @$$hole) is disgracefull. These guys call themselves Diesel Enthusiast's and their over their trying to wage war on our sport and shoot it down! I think everybody on this site needs to go take a look at those threads so they too can really understand who these people are and see the pull they really have because of who they know! I think we all need to mount up and really stick it to them at a Race or Event they throw!:D

Bobo

Aug 27, 2006
It is a double edge sword. Do you put the bar in to comply so you can compete for petty cash and risk having a loved one killed from bumping their head in your daily driver or don't put in a roll bar and risk being killed because some dipshit can't control their truck at the track? I'd rather take the risk at a track then put my loved ones at risk when they ride in my street truck. IMHO, if it has a cage or a bar...you should be wearing a helmet if you are in it at any time. When your head hits that bar without a helmet on, you can pretty much bet you will be drinking from a straw the rest of your life if you make it out alive.

The scary part of drag racing is not your 1/4 speed....it is not knowing if the retard driving in the other lane has enough sense to safely pilot their truck down the track. While the weight of these trucks is a safety concern, roll bars and cages are not for everyone.

I'm all for safety, but driving a truck on the street with a chunk of steel next to your head don't seem like a good idea to me. I'll sit and watch before I do that.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I think the important thing is to reduce rollovers and loss-of-control situations.

If we exhaust all ways to control the accident rate, and there becomes a significant risk in the future (there isn't today), then it would be time to look at rollbars.

Enforcing crankshaft centerline height rules would be the first step if rollovers become a problem in the 12 second trucks. Banning bias/radial tire mixes would be a second move.

But for today, everything is going well, so it should be left alone.