S472 vs danville 72

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I love reading about turbo lag. It's like dick measuring, everyone churches it up...

It's almost like some people think they have a majic turbo compared to the next guy running the same setup.

Saying that any s400 spools like stock is fibbing, now a 4094, maybe.

Am I the only one that is bothered by the fact that everyone calls them '472' or 's4' but they almost always leave out turbine size and housing a/r? This isn't at all comparing apple to apples. I bet half guys that have em don't even know....

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
There is a lot of talk about lag on this thread lately. I know most of the racing guys lag probably doesn't bother too much as long as they can get the turbo lit off the line, but DD is a whole other story. How often during your day do you go from a dead stop to WOT?? Can't say I do that hardly at all.

The lag I'm concerned with is when your rolling down the road and get into the throttle, how long does it take the turbo to respond? Running 65 mph the stock turbo doesn't need a down shift to light, it comes to life almost instantly. If someone could find me a big single that spools like that, I'd be all over it, but you can't. This is why I went with twins, but I hate how twins clutter up the engine compartment. My twin set up has more lag than stock "rollin" down the road, but it spools a hell of a lot faster than my billet 4094. Trans tuning can play a big part, but why have a 6th gear if you can't use it? Or you have to be doing 75 mph before it shifts. Most time I'm drive under 70 mph.

One of the deals with my 4094vvt single that I didn't like, was when your rolling down to the road, you lay into the throttle, it smokes, then down shifts then all of a sudden your taking off like a rocket. When you DD these big s400 chargers, is it an all or nothing on the road? I'm mean like your either lugging the motor blowing smoke or you've hit boost and the truck is flying? Also what kind of mileage are guys seeing with s400 turbos? Will an s472 singe do better than a s475 singe? Size of injector make a big difference?

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Now I'm not trying to call Mike out, or trash talk him, or anything like that. I just am very curious to see his findings of how this s472 compares to his stock turbo, 2.5, 4094 and his 72mm. I know people that when they get something, its the best thing ever until they get rid of it, then the next thing is the best thing ever. Mike really bragged about his 4094 and his 72mm how much he liked it, how well the spooled and all. So saying he loves this turbo after just a couple days, I feel is a stretch. I hope after getting some miles on it, that he continues to update this thread or make another one for his long term findings. I also am VERY interested to see how the billet wheel compares to the cast wheel. Is ETT available on the s400's? Would that be a better option than a billet wheel or BMW?

NO disrespect at all Mike, so I hope I didn't offend you with anything I posted. I'm glad you are trying different set ups and will hopefully find that perfect one that makes big power and is very streetable.

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah
My 473 in 473/87/.90. From a boost launch yes it spools fine lol. but I did mean from a dead stop no boost wot its laggy.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Saying that any s400 spools like stock is fibbing, now a 4094, maybe.

......... everyone calls them '472' or 's4' but they almost always leave out turbine size and housing a/r? This isn't at all comparing apple to apples. I bet half guys that have em don't even know....

That is a fact.
The back side is where the difference is.

from mobile

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Daily driving on an s472 you will need a trans cal adjustment.
Part throttle up and down add about 25%. It will downshift at 65 to pass.

If the truck doesn't downshift you will be rolling coal.

I rode in a truck yesterday with a t6 1.32 ar 96/88 turbine 82mm fmw we put together remote mount kit.
I put some pics vids on our facebook page. The engine has stock heads and cam and it seems like the max the old dmax can spool with tc locked in 5th.

from mobile

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Sorry for ruining your thread Mike. Maybe we should start a "How fast does your turbo spool" thread?

Still takes about 4-5 seconds to get going but pretty good response what size sticks and what tc stall ect ect

I need to loosen mine up a bit

Its a Bullseye s375/87/.90 with a billet wheel and a 1058 converter. 40% nozzles on a stock CP3.

That was not WOT, nor did I flat foot it. I kind of just eased into it until it lit. When I get my AirDog working again I'll go make another video of me stomping on it.

There is a lot of talk about lag on this thread lately. I know most of the racing guys lag probably doesn't bother too much as long as they can get the turbo lit off the line, but DD is a whole other story. How often during your day do you go from a dead stop to WOT?? More than I'd care to admit. lol Can't say I do that hardly at all.

The lag I'm concerned with is when your rolling down the road and get into the throttle, how long does it take the turbo to respond? It's almost instant. The only time it's laggy is with the TCC locked and the motor under 2000rpm. Running 65 mph the stock turbo doesn't need a down shift to light, it comes to life almost instantly. If someone could find me a big single that spools like that, I'd be all over it, but you can't.A TCT s466 is really close This is why I went with twins, but I hate how twins clutter up the engine compartment. My twin set up has more lag than stock "rollin" down the road, but it spools a hell of a lot faster than my billet 4094. Trans tuning can play a big part, but why have a 6th gear if you can't use it? Or you have to be doing 75 mph before it shifts. Most time I'm drive under 70 mph.

One of the deals with my 4094vvt single that I didn't like, was when your rolling down to the road, you lay into the throttle, it smokes, then down shifts then all of a sudden your taking off like a rocket. When you DD these big s400 chargers, is it an all or nothing on the road? No its not like a switch. I hated my 4094vvt but love driving this charger. The thing you have to realize is these big chargers move a lot more air at lower boost conditions. So my truck picks up and goes with only 10-15 psi, compared to the 4094vvt needing to close the vanes and hit 30psi to achieve the same results.I'm mean like your either lugging the motor blowing smoke or you've hit boost and the truck is flying? Also what kind of mileage are guys seeing with s400 turbos? I get between 19-22 on the highway depending on conditions. Around town its around 13-15.Will an s472 singe do better than a s475 singe?It depends. There's alot of variables, but in theory the 72 should light quicker. Size of injector make a big difference?

I've put a little over 25k miles on this charger in less than 2 years and I have had zero complaints. I tow 5-6k with this truck on a weekly basis and it does great.

Last edited:

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The 472 and 475 both act about the same given the are 87 or 83 and .90.
The spoolup is very close.
The 75 takes more drive.

I went from a 75cw to a 72mm cw fmw model loosend up the housing and now it spools the same as the 75 but performance and egts/ pressures are better.

The top end power is about the same but comes in 300 rpm higher.

No dyno numbers or tracktimes to back up any results yet.
I can tow if I use od lockput and watch egt like a hawk.

87 j trim tw
2200 stall tc
150% injectors
Lly 16.2:1 ported heads and cam

from mobile

$chultz38

Jan 22, 2009
The 472 and 475 both act about the same given the are 87 or 83 and .90.
The spoolup is very close.
The 75 takes more drive.

I went from a 75cw to a 72mm cw fmw model loosend up the housing and now it spools the same as the 75 but performance and egts/ pressures are better.

The top end power is about the same but comes in 300 rpm higher.

No dyno numbers or tracktimes to back up any results yet.
I can tow if I use od lockput and watch egt like a hawk.

87 j trim tw
2200 stall tc
150% injectors
Lly 16.2:1 ported heads and cam

from mobile

Off subject but this makes me think about my s472 twins. I have ran both 75 and 72 T6 1.32 and like the 72 way better. Spool is better and both flow about the same on the top end. This is on a stock bottom end truck. I think guys just use the 75 because thats what everyone uses.

Badheartbull

May 21, 2012
Sw MN
Mine is a bullseye s472/83/.90 with a BMW and a standard cover. Stock fuel. Over 65,000miles on it. Tow and plow with it. And love every mile.:thumb:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I can honestly say this s472 on my truck is by far my favorite setup absolutely. The turbo is a 72/83/.90, wot off the line is where I was considering my "lag" was when I was comparing it. And what chris is saying about these turbos moving more air down low is definitely what I have experienced on my truck. It takes alot less boost to have the same "get up and go" feeling as the 4094 and 72mm vvt turbos. I would absolutely say 6 psi boost normal driving with the s472 feels more like 12-14 psi boost did with the 72mm vvt. Yes both turbos can makes some high power but the seat of the pants feel of the s472 is unreal as far as how much better I like driving with the 472. Its extremely mild mannered when easy driving then roll into the throttle and it comes to life. Power comes on very smooth until roughly 10 psi and then it slams to 42 psi and you have sero traction in 2wd which is the feeling that puts the smile on my face.

Yea highway cruising at say 70 mph where it wont kick down to 4th when wot, it will lug a tad but by no means is it anything to worry about. and if it kicks down a gear when you go wot, boost comes up almost instantly and your gone.

Seriously, if you guys have never driven a big fixed vane charger compared to a "big" vvt charger, its hard to get you guys to believe just how well these big fixed vane chargers do with the same fueling, tuning and what not. I dont have any tcm tuning what so ever amd in my eyes dont need any. I just dont have the horsepower to need higher rpm right now. I can stay on top of the s472 pretty easy.

My truck honestly smokes significantly less with the s472 than it did with the 72vvt. I am 100% in love with the 472 over ANY of my old chargers. Will never run a vvt again unless im going back to stock for whatever reason.

My egts at 70mph cruising are down significantly also
72mm vvt: 780 and 8 psi
472: 630 and 4 psi.

Could hit 1800 degrees with the 72vvt and so far letting off at 80mph from a dead stop WOT run I was sitting at a cool 1350 with no luck on going higher. Also if im cruising 65 and mash it, letting off at 90mph netted me a blistering 1250 degrees. same thing with the 72mm vvt would be 1700 no problem. I dont need to put 10k+ miles on this turbo to know exactly how I feel about it. The test drive alone already had me very impressed.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I can honestly say this s472 on my truck is by far my favorite setup absolutely. The turbo is a 72/83/.90, wot off the line is where I was considering my "lag" was when I was comparing it. And what chris is saying about these turbos moving more air down low is definitely what I have experienced on my truck. It takes alot less boost to have the same "get up and go" feeling as the 4094 and 72mm vvt turbos. I would absolutely say 6 psi boost normal driving with the s472 feels more like 12-14 psi boost did with the 72mm vvt. Yes both turbos can makes some high power but the seat of the pants feel of the s472 is unreal as far as how much better I like driving with the 472. Its extremely mild mannered when easy driving then roll into the throttle and it comes to life. Power comes on very smooth until roughly 10 psi and then it slams to 42 psi and you have sero traction in 2wd which is the feeling that puts the smile on my face.

Yea highway cruising at say 70 mph where it wont kick down to 4th when wot, it will lug a tad but by no means is it anything to worry about. and if it kicks down a gear when you go wot, boost comes up almost instantly and your gone.

Seriously, if you guys have never driven a big fixed vane charger compared to a "big" vvt charger, its hard to get you guys to believe just how well these big fixed vane chargers do with the same fueling, tuning and what not. I dont have any tcm tuning what so ever amd in my eyes dont need any. I just dont have the horsepower to need higher rpm right now. I can stay on top of the s472 pretty easy.

My truck honestly smokes significantly less with the s472 than it did with the 72vvt. I am 100% in love with the 472 over ANY of my old chargers. Will never run a vvt again unless im going back to stock for whatever reason.

My egts at 70mph cruising are down significantly also
72mm vvt: 780 and 8 psi
472: 630 and 4 psi.

Could hit 1800 degrees with the 72vvt and so far letting off at 80mph from a dead stop WOT run I was sitting at a cool 1350 with no luck on going higher. Also if im cruising 65 and mash it, letting off at 90mph netted me a blistering 1250 degrees. same thing with the 72mm vvt would be 1700 no problem. I dont need to put 10k+ miles on this turbo to know exactly how I feel about it. The test drive alone already had me very impressed.

Who did your tuning on the 72vgt? Sounds like it needed dialed in more. My stock turbo cruising doesnt make that much heat or boost FWIW.

And also, was this a full build 72mm from Mark or just his compressor wheel in a box stock 4094? I could be wrong but I thought he had a few tricks up his sleeves with the 4094vgt???