LLY: RCSB 1500 LLY round 2

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Make sure that down pipe isn't touching the cab at all... It will drive you nuts vibrating. It will also bang the cab when you shut the truck off if not clearanced enough.

X2. I took a Sawzall to mine. My grandpa taught me at a young age, "don't force it, get a bigger hammer."

Looks great. I like the placement of the air intake better than other kits that put them in the fender well. Alot more practical imo.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
You hoping for 11s?

Yeah, I'd love to run an 11.6 or 11.7.

Make sure that down pipe isn't touching the cab at all... It will drive you nuts vibrating. It will also bang the cab when you shut the truck off if not clearanced enough.

May require more clearancing then. I think it's touching a little bit. Definitely not smashed up against the cab. We'll see how it does when I drive it, lol.

X2. I took a Sawzall to mine. My grandpa taught me at a young age, "don't force it, get a bigger hammer."

Looks great. I like the placement of the air intake better than other kits that put them in the fender well. Alot more practical imo.

The air intake location was one of the deciding factors for buying from Wehrli.

2007 dmax

Mar 2, 2014
Ya i am verry impressed with this build as well!! Hoping mine goes tgether this smoothly! also lik the air filter position

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Got it running. Took it for a couple test drives to get some heat in it so I could top off the coolant tank. Everything was fine on these trips, probably 10-15 minutes of driving. Went for a little bit longer test drive, got on it a little bit (maybe 50% throttle), heard a big air rush like a boot letting go, then no boost. Took the air filter off and found the compressor wheel rubbing the housing. Any idea what could cause this? I prelubed the turbo, oil feed line is hot so I know there's oil flowing through.

I was recording at the time. 28 second mark is where it lets go.

http://youtu.be/r-wtFHbOJzs

Compressor wheel

http://youtu.be/ud9F36SMXw0

IMAG0390_zps5l28mq4b.jpg

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, lol.

Picked up a new compressor wheel a little bit ago. Will have everything back together again tonight.
IMAG0401_zps74guynvp.jpg

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
The ornament is awesome, albeit, an expensive one!

Your pace at getting stuff done is amazing considering you do it all on nights and weekends in your spare time. You're def an ambitious dude!

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys :)

I ordered some new injector hold down bolts, I think I'm pushing some air past the copper seats at higher boost levels. Not going to go crazy til those are installed, but I will say I can break the tires loose at 50 mph now :woott:

Mark, your tunes are awesome so far :D Very clean! Thank you!

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Something weird this morning. Went to drive the truck to work and got a Low Coolant message. Went back to the house to top it off, overflow was completely empty until I popped the cap off. Released a little bit of air pressure and the level came back up, no big deal, except the coolant that I could see looked milky, and the low coolant message wouldn't go away (will the sensor float in oil?). I am wondering if I have oil or trans fluid in the coolant. Looking at the sight tube, the milky stuff is only about 1/2-3/4" deep, then it looks like clean Dex underneath. The milky color looks light orange, not brown. I'll have to get a picture later, was in a hurry to get to work so I just parked it and hopped in the LML.

I did check the hoses for S&G yesterday after the truck sat for a couple hours and they were soft, so I'm confident that it's not a HG issue.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just rinsed everything out with water to get the soot crap out while it was all apart. Might be worth dumping the coolant that's in there now and refilling again? I was thinking that if the engine and trans oil look clean that I'd just try to suction out the overflow and refill with new Dex and see what happens...

I get good whiffs of new/clean oil pretty frequently too once the engine starts to warm up. Haven't found any leaks...how long should I expect it to take to burn off whatever needs to burn off of the new turbo parts as they heat up?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i would flush it out one more time and see. usually when you get that kind of crap like that, ill put straight water and a little simple green and run it for 20-30 min. it will help loosen all the crap up and come out when you drain it. then flush real well to get as much of the simple green out and refill with coolant. dont go hot rodding it with the "cleaning mixture" in place though. just drive normal till up to temp, then for 10-15 min after that. be sure to pull the block plugs when you flush it as well