LLY: RCSB 1500 LLY round 2

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
4 hours to get the f***ing y bridge in. Everything went pretty smoothly except the lower front nut on the passenger side, I probably spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to get that tight. Finally ended up cutting one of my sockets down really short and got a 1/4" extension to partially engage enough to tighten it down. Glad that's done, I was about to start throwing tools.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I've had to tweak every line and hose that goes around the y-bridge so far. Maybe that's normal, I dunno, but it's a little frustrating. I was hoping to be much further along by now. I did a test fit of the intake tube that goes between the two turbos also and I'm not 100% convinced that it clears the fuel line that goes over top of the bridge. Will see as I get further along I guess.

IMAG0368_zps9uqjwwgd.jpg

IMAG0367_zps2il0gpb7.jpg

IMAG0366_zps1fwarhln.jpg

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I just bent and cut and cursed and then spliced. It all came together. The y bridge would have been easier out of the truck imo, but I'm sure you found that out. I cut the line going over the bridge and used a soft line instead.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I really hope the hard part is done now, lol. I knew the y bridge wasn't going to go quick but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

I called Wehrli this morning and they were waiting on a fitting from their supplier, shipped the oil lines out separately earlier this week. I'll have them Monday. Shouldn't be a problem, I'm not going to have a lot of time over the weekend to work on this. Company xmas party tonight, wife's bday tomorrow night, department xmas party Saturday, helping Brian pull his HVAC module Sunday. I doubt I'll have this ready to run this weekend regardless of the oil lines.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I really hope the hard part is done now, lol. I knew the y bridge wasn't going to go quick but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

I called Wehrli this morning and they were waiting on a fitting from their supplier, shipped the oil lines out separately earlier this week. I'll have them Monday. Shouldn't be a problem, I'm not going to have a lot of time over the weekend to work on this. Company xmas party tonight, wife's bday tomorrow night, department xmas party Saturday, helping Brian pull his HVAC module Sunday. I doubt I'll have this ready to run this weekend regardless of the oil lines.

and here he tells me hes helping you install the twins that day :D.

i dont know if wherli sends instructions but here are a few suggestions when you start to install the piping. start on the hot side first. run the pipe from the stock turbo exhaust to the turbine housing. Make sure to dismantle the s475 so the turbine housing is off it. then you can put the turbo stand on, put the turbine housing on that, then install the hot pipe you just put on. wouldnt hurt to get your down pipe in as well. Wherli may not use the exhaust housing to hold the turbo up. i think he uses the cartridge to do that, so just get the turbine housing on the hot pipe loosely, then put the cartridge in and on the stand.

then you can install the drain and feed. then put the cover on and install the cold piping.

if you try to just install that turbo as one complete unit, you will be bitching up a storm trying to hold it still enough or move it around enough to get bolts started and tight. i do this order and/or reverse order ever time i pull my kit off to get to an injector or when i was changing turbos. while it seems it takes a bit more time, over all it saves you time cause your not fighting the weight. Leave EVERYTHING loose till its all in as well and i dont mean be 1 thread away from being tight, leave things with quite a few threads till tight. it will greatly help you get everything lined up and in the proper position.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Speaking of labor, I am sore as hell this morning, spent way too long sitting and squatting in unnatural positions last night. I was really frustrated when I went to bed last night and again this morning, but starting to get excited about working on it again :D

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Speaking of labor, I am sore as hell this morning, spent way too long sitting and squatting in unnatural positions last night. I was really frustrated when I went to bed last night and again this morning, but starting to get excited about working on it again :D

hopefully your hood doesnt interfere with the second turbo. mines pretty close with the regular HD hood but i also have a different kit.

sorry, not trying to be a debbie downer, just thinkin of things that i never thought of at the time.