LMM: Questions on motor removal

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Seems like the last several I have seen have a hole and a small crack. I just wonder if the crack started first, then the fuel slowly eroded away at the crack until it holes it...?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Glad you got it part. another hole hmmm chad me you all had holes no cracks in pistons very strange. wait untill you pull that piston i bet the whole side will be blown out. I can allready see all the smeared metal on the wall. Well at least you didint pull it for nothing

If you look there's a crack very fine one

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I can allready see all the smeared metal on the wall.

I didn't even see that at first :eek:

For those that have not had a scratch in the cylinder wall from a cracked piston and/or ring, but have had the "Metal smear" did you/they have to bore the cylinder larger or were they able to clean it up with a hone??

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal

For those that have not had a scratch in the cylinder wall from a cracked piston and/or ring, but have had the "Metal smear" did you/they have to bore the cylinder larger or were they able to clean it up with a hone??

mine would of cleaned up. but i opted to go 40 over for a little more air

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

I honed mine, but it did not completely clean up the cylinder wall. Now that I'm going back in, I'm going .020" over on the bore.