Info: Quad Turbo Update

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
So at what point do we not call a block a Duramax or a Cummins?
It’s like people saying a top fuel motor is a 426... sure it’s “based” on a 426 hemi but it’s so far from a production motor lol
Anyways I’m excited to see this truck run and hope you give them dodge fanboys a run for their money:thumb:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
This is why people don’t post what they’re doing. If he wants to throw rods through his block let’s see it. I’m glad he posted the progress. I would like to see what happens.

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Ok I lied one more :)

Nope the discussion was about air and fuel amount not mattering because our engines were the weak link to be at the levels needed for UCC competitive type power and you proceeded to say the way you were going about it would make the difference.

“It's not that it won't take it.........It's that it hasn't taken it. Extreme accuracy and relentless testing of vital components will change that”

If you didn’t claim that “230 lbs/min says otherwise” to the UCC comment there never would of been a discussion.

Now I’m done. Good luck with the build it is very nice and I’m sure you’re ready to drive it.

I understand what you are saying, sorry for not being more specific, on another note, what are the top ucc contenders pushing for charger setups and airflow?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I understand what you are saying, sorry for not being more specific, on another note, what are the top ucc contenders pushing for charger setups and airflow?

Honestly with top guys they switch turbo setups each event. GT55’s are popular. For the record for the simple minded club none of this had anything to with you posting progress as it’s a very unique and impressive setup and continuing to update it is great. It was a separate discussion about what’s realistic and what isn’t and watching someone throw away the amount of time money and energy it takes isn’t something I enjoy or something to be taken lightly. Not that that’s what you're doing but we all can learn from each other. That doesnt happen sitting back with your mouth shut or commenting just “sweet build” it’s with discussion be it polite or not.

Last edited:

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Ya I agree with you on that one, I appreciate your input and agree learning from each other is whats going to keep it moving forward. Even a GT55X isn't enough air in my opinion, especially blowing through a 45 or something close to that. Most everyone is running a compounded 55 correct?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Mostly huge triples and nitrous. But at that point the engines are coming apart. More turbos is not always better

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
From my point of view unfortunately I agree with Evan on the realistic part of what you can and can't get away with in a Dmax. Sure you can put up a big number on the dyno but to have it live and make that kinda power isn't going to happen. We see on average the blocks(wet or completely filled) start cracking the sleeves and the block between cylinders in the 1600hp range(Engine dyno uncorrected numbers) and up. It is no longer an if, it is a when the block fails issue now. We are at the point were a bunch of the sled pulling guys parked their trucks til a viable solution is found. The deckplate looks promising but we don't have enough time on them to know for sure how that will hold up. It is supposed to get us from the 1600hp window up to 2600hp but then you are back in the same boat of reliability problems with them. Cummins definitely have the upper hand in this department. Part of the reason you see very few Dmax's competing with them these days compared to 5 years ago. Making the power isn't the problem, getting everything to live is. When you compare how far we have come with stock motor performance vs. the built motor it puts it more into perspective unfortunately.
Your project is cool as hell, can't wait to see it ripping up the track.:thumb:

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Good information thank you, what kind of boost and cylinder pressures are most of these guys running at the point of failure?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Anywhere from 60-125psi boost and cylinder pressures in the 5500-6800psi range is what we are seeing. More rpms you run the faster it seems to fail even though the cylinder pressure is lower.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Around 100+ psi boost and drive pressure close to the same or 25-50psi more if the turbos are well suited to the fueling/engine.

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
From my point of view unfortunately I agree with Evan on the realistic part of what you can and can't get away with in a Dmax. Sure you can put up a big number on the dyno but to have it live and make that kinda power isn't going to happen. We see on average the blocks(wet or completely filled) start cracking the sleeves and the block between cylinders in the 1600hp range(Engine dyno uncorrected numbers) and up. It is no longer an if, it is a when the block fails issue now. We are at the point were a bunch of the sled pulling guys parked their trucks til a viable solution is found. The deckplate looks promising but we don't have enough time on them to know for sure how that will hold up. It is supposed to get us from the 1600hp window up to 2600hp but then you are back in the same boat of reliability problems with them. Cummins definitely have the upper hand in this department. Part of the reason you see very few Dmax's competing with them these days compared to 5 years ago. Making the power isn't the problem, getting everything to live is. When you compare how far we have come with stock motor performance vs. the built motor it puts it more into perspective unfortunately.
Your project is cool as hell, can't wait to see it ripping up the track.:thumb:

Are you using Wagler's deck plates? is he the only one currently producing them?

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Maybe a high bore block with long stroke smaller bore might work. Just a brain fart.

I like it! although with that kind of cylinder pressure I'm not sure current Rods would handle that extended Rod Angle depending on how much more aggressive it's stroked.

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Now that was a brain fart....lol..........Rod Angle is not an issue my bad, is Wagler also currently producing the extended Rod's or is Carrillo or another manufacturer making them too?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Mazak, most accurate in the world?! Blasphemy!! Lol, I’m joking. Nice looking machine, looks new! But, I prefer Mori. I’m going to send you a pm.

Waid

07b10b131736a7ad2a3e4d987ce3d2cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Out with the AC and routing the exhaust to the back was 2010, I think the front fenders is more like it.

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpg
    IMG_3001.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 132

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Yes, at this time Wagler is the only one with a deckplate setup and that is what we are running in one truck. I would say rod angle with stock stroke is definitely part of the issue because all of the broken blocks are on the outside(load bearing surface from cylinder pressure) of the centerline of the bore so there is definitely something related to rod angle there. Look, these blocks are not very strong as they are(LML block is the best one available from GM)because you can by hand squeeze the bore and they move! You shouldn't be able to do that by hand. Another side note for all the drive pressure freaks out there, all the blocks we have had fail are on big singles that actually run more boost than drive pressure by up to 10psi. The most "ideal" conditions and these blocks won't live even at stock bore. Open up the bore and they fail faster. With that being said I like the longer rod on stock stroke. All I used to worry about was the stupid cranks breaking then the blocks started falling apart. So far the SoCal crank is holding up with issue like we have had with the Winberg cranks(broken stock replacement and the hemi journal).