Proper fluid in the Allison

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I bought a couple 5 gallon pails of it a few years back for $135 a pail VS $160 for TRANSYND. I will say TRANSYND is the coolest running fluid I have ever seen. I ran TRANSYND with my stock cooler and never had temp problems, switched to DEX/MERC fluid and the temps ran a good 35-45 degrees warmer with the stock cooler, swapped to a bigger cooler and brought them back down, swapped to QUATRASYN and dropped down 10-20 degrees, and when I had to go in it last time for the torn C4 piston I put TRANSYND back in because I had it and my temps are down a good 20 degrees VS QUATRASYN(but it just doesn't shift as good as QUATRASYN did).

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I've never seen Citgo up here. Not sure where to even find it. Internet search came up empty.

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
What about castrol transmax for alto clutches? It says Meets DEXRON®–III H requirements. Also satisfies requirements of DEXRON®, DEXRON®–III, IIE, and II. Do not use this ATF in applications calling for DEXRON®–VI.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
What about castrol transmax for alto clutches? It says Meets DEXRON®–III H requirements. Also satisfies requirements of DEXRON®, DEXRON®–III, IIE, and II. Do not use this ATF in applications calling for DEXRON®–VI.

I was wondering about this also. I used transynd last time in the 06 gasser. But it says not for dex6 apps and I hate to downgrade. Reasoning is this is available at a parts house where as I have to go out of my way to get transynd

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I was wondering about this also. I used transynd last time in the 06 gasser. But it says not for dex6 apps and I hate to downgrade. Reasoning is this is available at a parts house where as I have to go out of my way to get transynd

Dex 6 is garbage. TES 295 fluid is not a downgrade, it's an upgrade.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I know, It has transynd now. Oreillys has the transmax castrol I'd like to use something available locally and as close to transynd as possible.

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
I ended up saying screw it and bought 17 quarts of Mobil 1. That trans max price was tempting though

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
Anyone got anymore thoughts/opinions on the "new" Shell equivalent?

We used to keep quatrasyn in stock at work, but the distributor dropped it and now we always have a pail of the shell. I saw the shell stuff mentioned a few pages back and it never came back up.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Bump :)

My SCIV has about 40k miles on it, built back in Oct. 2009. Right now it has Amsoil low viscosity ATF, has since it was built.
I am wanting to swap converters, add Mike's springs and install Mike's cooler. I am just wondering if I can switch fluid at this time, or has it been too long? I have a bunch of Torque Drive in the garage, but I am not set on it. This trans may see temps ranging from 40C to -50C. Any fluid recommendations? Thanks.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Bump :)

My SCIV has about 40k miles on it, built back in Oct. 2009. Right now it has Amsoil low viscosity ATF, has since it was built.
I am wanting to swap converters, add Mike's springs and install Mike's cooler. I am just wondering if I can switch fluid at this time, or has it been too long? I have a bunch of Torque Drive in the garage, but I am not set on it. This trans may see temps ranging from 40C to -50C. Any fluid recommendations? Thanks.

I've been trying to figure out what to use when I get my trans built too. Can't find Quatrasyn up here anywhere or I would use it.
I have a pail of Transynd in my garage that I need to sell too as I won't be using it in my 6 speed.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I used Torque Drive with success for years before switching to Schaeffer's mostly for availability and company structure reasons (not a pyramid selling structure like Amsoil) and would use it in mine if I had it laying around.