Proper fluid in the Allison

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I've been trying to figure out what to use when I get my trans built too. Can't find Quatrasyn up here anywhere or I would use it.
I have a pail of Transynd in my garage that I need to sell too as I won't be using it in my 6 speed.

Bite the bullet and get the mobil 1, its hard to beat and can be purchased at just about any parts store. A little bird told to add an ounce of limited slip additive too. I havent tried the additive yet but plan on it...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Bite the bullet and get the mobil 1, its hard to beat and can be purchased at just about any parts store. A little bird told to add an ounce of limited slip additive too. I havent tried the additive yet but plan on it...

Limited slip addative is a release agent. That means it lessens clutch holding power.
Your trans will fail prematurely if you use it. Its main purpose is to release the diff clutches during turns.
What idiot told you this and why didn't you do a search before posting something this?

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Limited slip addative is a release agent. That means it lessens clutch holding power.
Your trans will fail prematurely if you use it. Its main purpose is to release the diff clutches during turns.
What idiot told you this and why didn't you do a search before posting something this stupud?

A builder here in town I trust, he said it woukd help with converter chatter which mine seems to do occasionally. I didnt reaseach it yet bc of that fact, thanks for setting me straight. He mentioned it the other day so I didnt have time to run it past anyone else yet. I did plan on asking Dustin before I added it though Mike...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Not worried about it, I should have researched that first...:hug:

Back in 1978 we were doing a lot of BMW transmissions. I was buying all the parts from BMW and we developed a squak on the garage shift. ( neutral to drive/reverse ) I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I called BMW of North America and talked to an engineer.
He told me they had a fix and shared it with me. You guessed it; use a small bottle of GM posi fluid . It fixed the problem. None of the 6 transmissions I fixed made it to 15K miles. Burned the clutches in every one. After talking to some people that were smarter then I; I learned.
Addatives in general are BS and don't fix anything. They actually interfere with the package the oil companies install to make the fluid as good as it's supposed to be. Be carefull and search out false claims especially when they can cost you big time.:hug::D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Which Mobil 1 oil is that?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I recently tore down a trans that caught traction during a shift on a rolling burn out and completely toasted the C1s, had hot spots on the C2s and C3s and yet the Schaeffer's fluid looked brand new, didn't smell burnt and was still protecting everything that wasn't involved in the failure. That has always been a good way for me to judge the quality of a fluid (and clutches for that matter) - how do they hold up when the $h*t hits the fan and parts are failing at no fault of their own. I have seen results almost as good on Torque Drive.

Shields, don't buy any more $10/qt Mobil 1. Stop by and pick up some Schaeffer's - I buy it in bulk and sell it at the 5 gallon bucket prices even for smaller quantities.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I recently tore down a trans that caught traction during a shift on a rolling burn out and completely toasted the C1s, had hot spots on the C2s and C3s and yet the Schaeffer's fluid looked brand new, didn't smell burnt and was still protecting everything that wasn't involved in the failure. That has always been a good way for me to judge the quality of a fluid (and clutches for that matter) - how do they hold up when the $h*t hits the fan and parts are failing at no fault of their own. I have seen results almost as good on Torque Drive.

Shields, don't buy any more $10/qt Mobil 1. Stop by and pick up some Schaeffer's - I buy it in bulk and sell it at the 5 gallon bucket prices even for smaller quantities.

Im not going to work on my trans buddy. Ive decided to leave that task up to you...:)

Put whatever you think is best in it for me...:hug:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA

Not taking anything away from Schaeffers as its good fluid but I've seen the same results with regular cheap dex 3 on a few occasions. The last one was C2 on its way out c3's were burnt everything else perfect. Fluid came out looking new and it was Walmart Supertech dex 3 lol. Even after issues were known there was still plenty of street beating on the trans.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Not taking anything away from Schaeffers as its good fluid but I've seen the same results with regular cheap dex 3 on a few occasions. The last one was C2 on its way out c3's were burnt everything else perfect. Fluid came out looking new and it was Walmart Supertech dex 3 lol. Even after issues were known there was still plenty of street beating on the trans.

Thats all I use in my trans. Cheap generic Dex 3 from advance auto. 225k miles on my trans since I built it and still shifts like new. It got run hard back in the day, couple hundred 1/4 mile passes, but ive been easier on it in its old age. No idea what it looks like inside, someday Ill take it apart maybe and show how Alto reds hold up in shit fluid for 9 years and 225k+ miles, but until then, someone is going to have to prove to me that expensive fluid is actually better. Only situation I would actually run expensive fluid is in extreme temps, like -20* or colder. I wouldnt trust the cheap generic Dex 3 in the extreme cold.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'll say this, BP autotran shifts much better in my 6sp than the dex6 did... My 6sp is stock too. Not sure if you'd noticed the better shifting in a built unit or not?

I did, however, put dex 3 in my new SunCoast unit. It shifts pretty good, but of course it's apples to oranges.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I like that the synthetic holds up better to extreme heat when something goes wrong in a trans is all I am saying. With a 2 year warranty on transmissions I am coming out of pocket to fix it so I put good stuff in every build - it's not an optional upgrade. When you buy 275 gallons at a time the good stuff isn't that bad.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
So is the cheap dex/merc from Walmart good for cold weather. I know it got to -30 plus for a few here and my trans hated me. I let it idle all day cuz 45min didn't even wiggle the gauge. What kind of fluid should us cold weather climate guys use on these built transmissions?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So is the cheap dex/merc from Walmart good for cold weather. I know it got to -30 plus for a few here and my trans hated me. I let it idle all day cuz 45min didn't even wiggle the gauge. What kind of fluid should us cold weather climate guys use on these built transmissions?

Synthetic
Dex 3 gets iffy below -20.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Thats all I use in my trans. Cheap generic Dex 3 from advance auto. 225k miles on my trans since I built it and still shifts like new. It got run hard back in the day, couple hundred 1/4 mile passes, but ive been easier on it in its old age. No idea what it looks like inside, someday Ill take it apart maybe and show how Alto reds hold up in shit fluid for 9 years and 225k+ miles, but until then, someone is going to have to prove to me that expensive fluid is actually better. Only situation I would actually run expensive fluid is in extreme temps, like -20* or colder. I wouldnt trust the cheap generic Dex 3 in the extreme cold.

I don't run super cheap fluid in my normal builds. I tried a bunch through our oil supplier until I found one I liked. We are constantly trying different ideas and I'm not going to waste the fluid if it doesn't work out. I run cheap stuff in my own daily driver and it works just fine. I also know of a big heavy truck with a whole bunch of mid to low 10 second passes and a 9 second pass running dirt cheap dex 3 but that doesn't mean I would use it in customers trucks who are paying good money to have there transmissions built.

Last edited: