Piston Bowls

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Great job Fingers and WolfLLY!

I just found and read this thread. After our last conversation, I'm glad to see Surfcam was able to generate some paths for you. I had no idea you had posted the geometry or I would have genrated some code for you as well.

Looks like the post could use a little tweaking to get rid of the faceting in the finish product or perhaps play around with setting #85 in your Haas control if it is a pre 2000 version OS.

Looks like you're about done, let me know if you want me to generate some different code.

Guy

And thanks to dmaxlover, for helping me out behind the scenes.

Wolf

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I got the calibrated burret last night. Testing the test cuts shows them to have a volume that does matches the Solidworks model.

Stock LLY piston chambers are very close to 39cc to produce 17.5:1 compression ratio.

Test Cuts are measuring 39cc prior to fly cutting for valve reliefs.

I need to increase the fillet along the edge and recalc. (too sharp)

Goal is ~18:1 with valve reliefs.

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
First actual piston got cut tonight. I have to verify the valve reliefs and so on, but this should give me a solid 17.5:1 compression ratio. If it all checks out, I will cut the rest.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What kind of piston blanks are those? What radius did you put at the top? It looks kind of sharp.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Mahle Cast Flat Tops. Special order.

The pictures don't do the radius justice. .0625 radius around the bowl. That is similar to the radius on the stock pistons. The valve reliefs will be refined after I confirm they are in the correct positions.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Jon,

I just emailed an igs file to you with valve pocket surfaces and locations.

Hope it helps.

Guy

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Looks good! What are the specs these will be tested under? Sorry if its already been said.

LLY block
100 over injectors.
Dual Fuelers
Big Danville VVT stage 2
Castflow manifolds and up pipes.
Howards Rods
SoCal Stage 2 heads.
SoCal Cam

Pistons should produce 17.5:1 with the valve reliefs. I wouldn't put the reliefs in, but a similar build got me only 0.040" clearance on uncut pistons. I fudged a fix that didn't include cutting the pisotns, but it killed the compression ratio. 14.5:1 is just way too low. Live and learn.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Interesting little fact:

These pistons have ~15% less surface area than the stock pistons and ~9% less than typical delipped pistons. If the BTUs of heat absorbed by a piston is directly proportional to the surface area, (it is if the chamber temp is the same) these will run cooler than stock.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
jon you are a pioneer! i can't wait to see how these pistons do and might be motivated to tear my motor apart just for another piston swap! hahaha

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
jon you are a pioneer! i can't wait to see how these pistons do and might be motivated to tear my motor apart just for another piston swap! hahaha

I don't know about all that, but I do have some high hopes. Keep in mind that I have not killed a piston yet. I've only bent rods.