Question: p pumped dodge???

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Shorter top end, and get there quicker....and along with the gears, the eaton detroit truetrac should help beef up the rear end

The 4.56 gears im putting in to help with the 35's im running, those gears get me within 100 rpm of factory gearing with stock tires, so wouldn't running a smaller tire then give me even shorter gears, less top speed, essentially make me faster in a short distance?

I had my truck (on a closed course;) ) going 149 mph before, and it had way more, but my pistons didn't, why wouldn't i want to shorten up the gears a bit for a 1/4 mi pass?

Seriously, am i missing somethin here, thought running a smaller tire to race was pretty common? Runnin 4.56 with 33's seems reasonable for a drag...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Shorter top end, and get there quicker....and along with the gears, the eaton detroit truetrac should help beef up the rear end

The 4.56 gears im putting in to help with the 35's im running, those gears get me within 100 rpm of factory gearing with stock tires, so wouldn't running a smaller tire then give me even shorter gears, less top speed, essentially make me faster in a short distance?

I had my truck (on a closed course;) ) going 149 mph before, and it had way more, but my pistons didn't, why wouldn't i want to shorten up the gears a bit for a 1/4 mi pass?

Seriously, am i missing somethin here, thought running a smaller tire to race was pretty common? Runnin 4.56 with 33's seems reasonable for a drag...
People usually run a shorter tire when drag racing because they are running drag radials, and those don't come any bigger than 29" that I know of. I would bet you gain nothing from a gear swap, and you may even slow down. Not running a 35" tire would be a much better option. It would be more effective and also cheaper.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
OK, that make sense for the drag radial size reason

Really, the gear swap will make me slower? Or not as quick, rather:confused:

I know bigger tires = sin in race terms, but it's what im doing, my truck is not just a race truck, i tow and play and want the best of all worlds, who doesn't? The tire size i like just happens to have a diameter of 35", after test driving a stock dmax on stock 245/75/16 or whatever they were, i realized just how much the tire changed my gearing, and how the truck/transmission was struggling to keep the turbo in its map after a shift, ie it was falling under the turbo each shift, just a little, that and i went with a slightly bigger turbo, all things considered i felt like 4.56 gears would be the equalizer for my equasion???

I guess I'll find out sooner than later huh?:rolleyes:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you are changing your gears because of how the RPM drops on a shift, you are doing it for all the wrong reasons. Axle gears have absolutely nothing to do with RPM drop on a shift. Seriously, if I were you, I would save my money. Buy another set of wheels and tires for racing if you want to run 35s and still be quick at the track. Shift points can be raised if that is what you're after.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
No, i am changing gears cuz i tow and i like that tire sze, mainly, and to help with the extra weight i have added to the truck, i just figured it wouldn't hurt it at the track to drop down to a 33 and calibrate for that change of course, and i figured 4.56 would also help some to keep everything in a more optimum range of operation with the larger tire dia???

Am i really off base here or what?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's your truck, you can do what you want to with it, but I would not bother swapping gears for a set of 35" tires. It sounds like you already have your mind made up, so let us know how you like it. I'm sure it'll be the best mod you've ever done.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
:spit:
Smart ass:rolleyes:, thanks for the input josh, i already bought everything:hug:
Where were your wise words when i asked about this a month ago:smart::doh:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Meeeeeeeeee toooooooooo, man, me too.

Right now i am kinda in limbo, shouldn't even drive the beast right now cuz the G80 is locked up, but the other night it was raining and cards was only a couple miles away:D

I wont be able to say one way or another, if it was worth it for.a.couple more weeks, i have to set up an appointment to have the trutrac gears and lift installed, and save the money for labor, still gonna get new timken unitized wheel bearings and a energy suspension master bushing kit before the appointment is made though, go big or go home right;)

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Might actually be too short of gears and won't make the turbo do its thing. Have ypur tried raising the shift point/rpm?

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
For everyone's sake please don't install 4.56's you are going to regret it... Run the 35's as your DD tire setup then when you go racing pickup some 275/55/16 M&H drag radials swap then out and have fun. You will not have nearly as good of 60's with 35" tires regardless of gearing

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
For everyone's sake please don't install 4.56's you are going to regret it... Run the 35's as your DD tire setup then when you go racing pickup some 275/55/16 M&H drag radials swap then out and have fun. You will not have nearly as good of 60's with 35" tires regardless of gearing

Maybe maybe not, the only thing fer sure that will hurt is the weight and rotating mass, but the gears should keep it realitively similar, i have spent the last couple days talking to olympic 4x4 and randys off road about this, and both suggest not running a 33 with the 4.56 gears, however both shops said the same thing about the 35's and 4.56 gears, and that is it is the right thing to do for a street truck, off road truck and trailer hauler, while it may not be ideal for racing it should yeild about the same performance and track.times, it will help alot sled pulling and be a very nice set up for towing, but dont drag race on 33's

So im goin for it, appoinent is in 10 days.....wish me luck

Have not heard a peep from dodge guy, and whadayaknow, he skipped out on cards tonight......

:cool2::roflmao:

Whatevs