super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
the thermostat doesnt open by outside temp. it opens based on oil temp so when ever it hits the desired temps that the thermostat is set at, it will open and allow oil to run through the cooler. it could care less about outside temps :D.

X2. Plus there is always a slight amount of circulation (about 5-10% dependent on oil temp) through the thermostat be it adapter or inline (not totally sure about the amount on the Mocal) and coolers when there not open so the motor never gets a shot of cold oil.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Well i think i bought the complete oil cooler install kit! Few questions about the Mocal thermostat you guys might be able to answer? I live in Ohio where the temps very greatly and im wondering how this thermostat will work because it probably won't open 6 months out of the year so i will have a couple quarts of oil uncirculating in the system. Is that anything to worry about? It seems that the oil in the motor will be getting worn and if the thermostat doesn't open regularly due to OAT then the oil in it will stay new? Or am i thinking wrong and the thermostat will open everytime i drive my truck and get it up to operating temp?

Who's kit did you buy?

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I built an oil cooler setup for my car using a Mocal thermostat sandwich adapter. I have not fired the motor yet, but I read A LOT about the mocal adapter on the soob forum's and everyone seemed very happy with it.. (this was the way to go).

For what that's worth... just thought I'd mention it...

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I bought a kit that a guy has for sale over on the DF. It is the sandwich plate which excepts 12an lines and he modified it a little more to flow more oil. Then it comes with all the stainless braided lines and the mocal thermostat which has 12an lines in and out. Im thinking with all those parts and the fluidyne cooler im looking at posted above should be a nice oil cooler setup for my truck ehat you guys think? I will have about $650 wrapped up in everything

Blackhawk878

Jan 16, 2012
Grovetown, GA
Just a quick question, what are the upper and lower limits for oil pressure on LLY, LBZ, etc? I read the GM spec of 42psi @1800rpm (by Hondarider), assuming that is at operating temp, but is that LB7 specific?

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Gm (should) spec it at a min of 14 at idle and (hondarider552 is on the money) 42 at 1800rpm (darn second hand info :(). The oil sqirters open around 29psi. It's to high when it blows the oil filter off. :D

When I wasted a main bearing the oil pressure dropped at idle from 22-23psi that's normal in my truck to about 18-19psi. I'm about 50-52psi at 1800. As I stated before, my piston oil squirters are opened up to about double, and I run a side steam oil purifying system. So I'm pulling a lot of extra out as well. If you run 2 or even three journal bearing turbos (unrestricted), it will be even lower. 1 journal bearing turbo (unrestricted) doesn't seem to do much to the pressure.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Blackhawk878

Jan 16, 2012
Grovetown, GA
Fwiw a quick search in the Henry section and all the tech info you could need is there ..... If it's not just ask and he will post it

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29598&highlight=Oil+pressure

Sweet, didn't know that was there. Did find the minimum pressure (14psi), PSI @ 1800rpm (42psi) and the pressure relief valve opens at 64psi. So I guess too much pressure should never be an issue, unless you use peanut butter for lube.

Thanks for the link :thumb:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I was looking at adding a sensor to my insight using their (Edge) temp sensor. Anyone see anything wrong with that?

Looks like it will work like a charm.

I decided to go settle a curiosity that I had about the oil temps that I've never really paid much attention to this evening. As we all know, oil pressure is dependent on it's temps. But how much was my question. So I shut off the coolers and headed for the hills. 15-40 Delvac, 55*F at the bottom of the grade, oil temps were 185*F and I had 23psi oil pressure at idle and 43psi at 1800rpm. I headed up I-70 toward Genesee. When I got to the top, out side temp was 45*F, oil temp was 225*F, oil pressure was sitting at 17psi at idle and it was 33psi at 1800rpm. It never got up past 35psi even running at 3000rpm. :eek: All I could think was:help:

Here lies the problem with this. As the oil heats up it also flows more, however it gets thinner as we all know and can imagine. This ALSO makes it easier to be pushed, squeezed, or hammered out of the bearing surfaces much easier. RUT ROW SHAGGY! First to go in this senario is the main bearings, next can be rod or any number of bearings which in extreme cases can include one big window out the side of the block. I'm set my oil temp thermostat to really open at 190*F. I'm changing it back down to 180*F!

Last edited: