sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
No, I ran a Curtis pump.

To do it right, again IMO:
High flow pump.
Larger piston pissers.
Pressure bypass to pan. (Curtis pump has no bypass.)
Oil Temp controlled bypass to cooler.
Dual, if not triple filters to handle flow rate.​
I thought you built your own bypass, I know what you mean about the pressure , however I've never had a filter blow off

Oil gallery plugs ... Destroyed turbos are another story

I use to run Cen pe co 20-50 and see 120psi at cold start

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Is there a aftermarket that makes larger piston squirters for our motors? Or is this something you can have a motor builder does when they build your motor? Is it possible for me to put bigger squirters in my lbz with the motor still in the truck?
Guy installed duel sqirters on a few of his builds

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Is there a aftermarket that makes larger piston squirters for our motors? Or is this something you can have a motor builder does when they build your motor? Is it possible for me to put bigger squirters in my lbz with the motor still in the truck?

I open mine up from .063 (or some where close to that, I cant recall exactly), to .086. Close to double the flow on the piston squirters.

I want to keep it simple on the solution as the coolers seem to be doing there job. I'm not sure I want the stock cooler to let the oil drop below undesirable temps. As stated before, the spot I measure the temp at is in the main stream right out of the pan. The temp differences I've seen on the same grade at the same out side temp running the same way is night and day between the external coolers and the lack of them (bypassed). I am also running 12 AN line to 2 coolers where it 'Tee's to 10 AN and goes to each cooler. This SLOWS the oil velocity down and lets the oil spend some more time in the coolers. Works good. Nothing is ever perfect especially when you push the design of the stock component past the point that they were ever intended to go to. As long as I'm getting temp readings at 220 or under (out of the port that reads temps coming from the pan),,,,,,I'm a happy camper. I know the motor isn't saturated enough by the oil at high pressure use, but there better off than they were now, and there operating at more ideal operating temps.

Last edited:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I don't want to sidetrack your thread superdiesel but im am interested in opening these squirters up is this somthing i can do with the motor in the truck by just taking of the oil pan or no? I want as much oil squirting under my lbz pistons as possible ;)

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I don't want to sidetrack your thread superdiesel but im am interested in opening these squirters up is this somthing i can do with the motor in the truck by just taking of the oil pan or no? I want as much oil squirting under my lbz pistons as possible ;)

Your not side tracking at all. This has to do with cooling the internals of the motor, and that is what this is about and I'm glad it was brought up.

No, it cant be done in the truck because the oil pan needs to come off, and some of the bolts for the aluminum oil pan is going through the back plate. After the oil pan is removed you can then remove the squirters from the gally passages. Next you will need a #44 drill from a numbers drill bit set to carefully drill it out with. Blow it out with compressed air good and reinstall.

Last edited:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Hmmm so the upper oil pan has to come off also. I was hoping i could just remove the lower oil pan and get to them. Man i would really love to be able to drill those out a bit. I really believe doing that with a oil cooler kit would help to keep the underneath of the lbz pistons alot cooler. Even if it was a few degrees you never now how much that might help them last longer

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Hmmm so the upper oil pan has to come off also. I was hoping i could just remove the lower oil pan and get to them. Man i would really love to be able to drill those out a bit. I really believe doing that with a oil cooler kit would help to keep the underneath of the lbz pistons alot cooler. Even if it was a few degrees you never now how much that might help them last longer

Agreed. Not to worry. The oil getting to them will be cooler anyway with the cooler (than it would be with the higher temps of big power and towing). The windage tray in the aluminum pan will keep you from getting up to them. The max you can go on them in .096 dia. No simple way to get to them unfortunately.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Ok thanks for all your help now get back to work on designing a oil cooler for our trucks lol. A CHEAPER alternative than killerbee's preferably lol.:thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Have some notes from when I went to a car show on oil pressures.

I know GM spec is 42psi at 1800 rpm.

@ 1800rpm, I am 60psi @ 170-175* oil temps.
@ 1800rpm, I am ~50psi @ 195* oil temps.

This is as hot as I got the oil, freeway pulls from 40-90mph or so, just to see the pressure and hot they would change on higher temps. Outside temps were 55*

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Ok thanks for the info. superdiesel. Brian do you have the Mocal thermostat in your kit? There is a guy on another site selling a complete oil cooler kit minus the actual cooler so im thinking about buying everything off of him and then picking out a cooler. Do either of you guys have a part number for a adequate oil cooler?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
No on Mocal, I didnt think it was worth it. Check out the earlier pages of this thread Dustin posted a link on a DIY cooler, IIRC the cooler he bought was around 450.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
The one i found is a Fluidyne DB-30618 it is 5 3/4 tall and 21 wide and 3 1/2 thick. Im thinking of making a bracket that would bolt to the round tube below the harmonic dampner and hanging it right there??? I have a chevy so i don't have the opening in the valence but if i put it where im thinking i feel it would get alot of airflow to it. The round tube that the plastic skid plate bolts to is where im talking about. If i hung the cooler from that it should get decent airflow you think?

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
If needed i could drill some holes in the valence to get air to the cooler or cut it out and make a nice mesh screen for it. This cooler is $367.00 at summitracing. It is not as big as the one in Killerbees kit but i live in ohio where it is only 90 degrees about 2 weeks out of the year lol. Average temp. is prolly 60 for the whole year

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I think:

With that cooler, Super Diesels adapter, some nice AN fittings, and line, I think we could make this work for less than you might think. I have $900 in my oil cooler kit. Probably would fit behind the grill a little bit easier than the cooler I have, as it is ginormous.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Well i think i bought the complete oil cooler install kit! Few questions about the Mocal thermostat you guys might be able to answer? I live in Ohio where the temps very greatly and im wondering how this thermostat will work because it probably won't open 6 months out of the year so i will have a couple quarts of oil uncirculating in the system. Is that anything to worry about? It seems that the oil in the motor will be getting worn and if the thermostat doesn't open regularly due to OAT then the oil in it will stay new? Or am i thinking wrong and the thermostat will open everytime i drive my truck and get it up to operating temp?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well i think i bought the complete oil cooler install kit! Few questions about the Mocal thermostat you guys might be able to answer? I live in Ohio where the temps very greatly and im wondering how this thermostat will work because it probably won't open 6 months out of the year so i will have a couple quarts of oil uncirculating in the system. Is that anything to worry about? It seems that the oil in the motor will be getting worn and if the thermostat doesn't open regularly due to OAT then the oil in it will stay new? Or am i thinking wrong and the thermostat will open everytime i drive my truck and get it up to operating temp?

the thermostat doesnt open by outside temp. it opens based on oil temp so when ever it hits the desired temps that the thermostat is set at, it will open and allow oil to run through the cooler. it could care less about outside temps :D.

Last edited: