Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
anywhere under the truck will have turbulent air which means you are 100% relying on the fan to do all the cooling. its best to keep it out of anywhere the air can come up and start circulating around as well because the fan will just start cycling the same air through the cooler. I have my fuel cooler mounted just off the frame, parallel to the frame (wont fit in the factory fuel cooler spot). it has a cheapy 1000cfm fan (doubt its that much cfm) but it seems to work and i can manage fuel temps.

i would suggest upping your fan to something like mine. the Spal 12" 1650cfm fan. I have my oil cooler mounted in the front now but its about 30* from horizontal. im limited on space up there BUT mounting here lets high pressure air from driving down the road hit it and then the fan to suck it through. Having the much larger rad and aux rad has combated the little loss in air flow over the cooler as the water to oil cooler works much better now.

again, rooftop, i dont feel this will fix your issue. you need to get those coolant temps down. what fan clutch, thermostats are you running? whens the last time you pulled the cooling stack apart and degreased/cleaned it? you have no boost leaks correct? how hot of a tune are you pulling on?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This....there is no way I'd get that cooler in the bumper and I have a bigger road armor bumper. I know horizontal isn't ideal but that's why I did one with a fan. The vertical options left the cooler hanging below the frame.

Maybe I can make scoop or something to try and get some air flow going through it? I thought the fan would make up for the fact it doesn't have direct airflow.

that big ass bumper is doing you no favors in the cooling department....

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
anywhere under the truck will have turbulent air which means you are 100% relying on the fan to do all the cooling. its best to keep it out of anywhere the air can come up and start circulating around as well because the fan will just start cycling the same air through the cooler. I have my fuel cooler mounted just off the frame, parallel to the frame (wont fit in the factory fuel cooler spot). it has a cheapy 1000cfm fan (doubt its that much cfm) but it seems to work and i can manage fuel temps.

i would suggest upping your fan to something like mine. the Spal 12" 1650cfm fan. I have my oil cooler mounted in the front now but its about 30* from horizontal. im limited on space up there BUT mounting here lets high pressure air from driving down the road hit it and then the fan to suck it through. Having the much larger rad and aux rad has combated the little loss in air flow over the cooler as the water to oil cooler works much better now.

again, rooftop, i dont feel this will fix your issue. you need to get those coolant temps down. what fan clutch, thermostats are you running? whens the last time you pulled the cooling stack apart and degreased/cleaned it? you have no boost leaks correct? how hot of a tune are you pulling on?

Speaking of fan clutches, who has the best? Mine sticks on 90% of the time on my daily.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Speaking of fan clutches, who has the best? Mine sticks on 90% of the time on my daily.

Oh hell I'll take that one off your hands :roflmao: most clutch fans done come on soon enough I've been through a few bad ones, I had a Kodiak clutch that worked well and came on early but it failed fairly quick

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Oh hell I'll take that one off your hands :roflmao: most clutch fans done come on soon enough I've been through a few bad ones, I had a Kodiak clutch that worked well and came on early but it failed fairly quick

This one on my LB7 is picky as hell. It's on 24/7 but will sometimes disengage while accelerating above 2k rpm then come back on after a shift.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I'll insert a plug for Kennedy's fan clutch here I guess. With no other modifications done, and replacing a clutch that had 220k miles on it, which would stay coupled when cold but uncouple and stay uncoupled during most driving when warm, we saw an immediate 2mpg increase and obviously cooler ECT and TFT temps when at operating temp. It's been on for 2 years now and has been pretty consistent in all ambient temperatures.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I'll insert a plug for Kennedy's fan clutch here I guess. With no other modifications done, and replacing a clutch that had 220k miles on it, which would stay coupled when cold but uncouple and stay uncoupled during most driving when warm, we saw an immediate 2mpg increase and obviously cooler ECT and TFT temps when at operating temp. It's been on for 2 years now and has been pretty consistent in all ambient temperatures.

10-4!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
i guess i could have mentioned that too, there are several threads with tons of satisfied people using that clutch. i wish that was my only problem :roflmao:

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I hate this forum, Mine has been acting up off and on, and the truck is apart, so guess what just happened.:eek:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I've still got two solid hubs here.. belt would slip while driving heavy down poors
21167657_10212801865695037_8656409097346136205_o.jpg

21125448_10212801867335078_7481378681417391943_o.jpg

Sep 19, 2012
that big ass bumper is doing you no favors in the cooling department....

Everything seems to be above the bumper cooling wise. Not sure how the bumper is blocking anything.

Maybe my fan clutch isn't engaging soon enough? I notice when it does come on it cools things down in a hurry. When I was trying to figure out cooling issues last year, while on the road, I changed the fan clutch with whoever had one at the moment and that was O'Reilly's. At what temp should the fan clutch engage?

Cooling stack was cleaned out last summer.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It’s not, gm has cooling ducted through the stock bumper which now becomes blocked by your bumper. It’s not a huge issue but all these little things add up

Sep 19, 2012
It’s not, gm has cooling ducted through the stock bumper which now becomes blocked by your bumper. It’s not a huge issue but all these little things add up

I hear ya. That little plastic "scoop" piece below the radiator.

To answer your other questions I missed. I have efilive with idaho rob tunes. It was on 2 which should be heavy tow. I like the turbo brake option but not if it causes my truck to overheat.

T-stats were changed with new GM stats when I did the engine.

What's annoying to me is the stack has to get hot for the fan to engage. My oil temps quickly rise above coolant temps in a hurry when pulling a hill. Maybe get a clutch with a lower threshold? Don't think a solid hub is the answer. That seems extreme?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its time for different t-stats and fan then. kennedy or hayden 2886 fan clutch come on at 190-195 instead of the 220* like stock. (kennedy is the best of them, buy that). i would pick up a set of 180-185* t-stats from Napa (get good failsafe ones). coolant temp unloaded will be lower but wont affect you getting heat in the cab on cold days. By time they fully open, the new fan clutch will be coming on and keeping the truck much cooler.

try those and see how oil temps do. I forgot to metion that if the oil cooler fan has anything blocking air behind it, as in say a body panel or frame within 12" from it, it will severely reduce CFM from the fan as well. They do not like any kind of head pressure. So make sure it has free flow but if all that doesnt work, its time for a higher cfm fan.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I want to see if I can get one of the new 2020 L5P oil coolers and see if it keeps oil temps more in line with coolant temps. Mine will go 40 degrees higher than coolant on a hot day pulling a good size load, and it causes my oil pressure to suffer. I'm sure my engine isn't happy running 30 psi at 1800 RPM with 20k lbs behind it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I want to see if I can get one of the new 2020 L5P oil coolers and see if it keeps oil temps more in line with coolant temps. Mine will go 40 degrees higher than coolant on a hot day pulling a good size load, and it causes my oil pressure to suffer. I'm sure my engine isn't happy running 30 psi at 1800 RPM with 20k lbs behind it.

Does the L5P cooler easily retrofit onto older blocks?