"OFFICIAL" What did you do to your D-Max today?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You aren't oil bath?!?!?!?!?! I have had grease bearings on 7500lb axles and cooked them fast quick and in a hurry with just our skidder on it.

Adam likes to work on his rig, havent you figured that out by now? :rolleyes: j/k Adam...

Hmmm....9.5" is going to get built next week. I'm pretty sure I have everything needed to finish the 1/2 ton other than minor items.

Hoping to have time to swap BBT drivetrain over vacation, BUT wife now informs me that "she took that week off too b/c she thought it would be great for us to have time off together". Damnit, I think my list of honey-dos is going to increase exponentially now. Sometimes I really hate being married. KnowwhatImean?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Adam likes to work on his rig, havent you figured that out by now? :rolleyes: j/k Adam...

Hmmm....9.5" is going to get built next week. I'm pretty sure I have everything needed to finish the 1/2 ton other than minor items.

Hoping to have time to swap BBT drivetrain over vacation, BUT wife now informs me that "she took that week off too b/c she thought it would be great for us to have time off together". Damnit, I think my list of honey-dos is going to increase exponentially now. Sometimes I really hate being married. KnowwhatImean?
Hahaha that is funny. I'm slowly working to the marriage thing. I keep talking myself out of proposing cause of these sites... always finding something I "need" for the truck

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Got all my HP fuel lines polished ;)

2eyw11c.jpg

Finally got all my parts painted and did a temp assembly to see how it looks...I'll be making a couple changes but I like the hugger orange and black :)

iw7yfd.jpg

161anp.jpg

Getting closer...

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Lookin good buddy!!! :D
Thanks man! I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turned out :)

Looks good Jason! I haven't kept up on here to much. What did you end up doing on your build?
Thanks Albert!!!
Meh, had to buy a stock LBZ long block from GM...
:(
Did a pretty good job of breaking the last one, put a hole through the top of the number 8 that went out through the skirt :eek: scored the bore pretty bad too...

We used all the build funds for a new (to us) house, so at least the money went to a good cause...lol

The new place has an awesome garage tho, 14' tall ceilings and big enough for probably 4 cars...I'll be gettin a lift installed :woot:

I'll build the engine sooner than later, but for now I'm just excited to get the truck running again!!!!

Built trans/stock engine tuning is better than NOTHING! I'm getting a DP stg2 3794va turbo and I hope to make some decent power, but moe than anything I just hope to keep it running :eek:

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Sold the DP 72 to go smaller...which kinda makes me mad, cuz I really did love the turbo.

It was really drivable and had awesome top end but the turbine break was just so crappy...for me, the turbine break is pretty much the greatest attribute for using a VGT turbo. Sure you can get a bigger turbo to light faster with a VGT than you can with a fixed, but the turbo break is the feature I really lik about the VGT's

The turbine break of the stock LBZ (3788) was so awesome, I really missed it when I went to the 4094avant... Give and take scenario fer sure, it's a learning process trying to figure out the fine line of preference between function vs performance...

If I had no financial limits I'd try out the new GTX 4088 and a true exhaust brake, but finances are a limit so I'm sticking with drop in bang for the buck options
;)

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
In the process of painting my tailgate.
not finished yet. Have another coat of color and then the clear. Then wet sand any imperfections and buff her to a shine
19d3a9925eb6652396488a8eaede8f00.jpg

34ad2a7b5994bf268f1e0799ee69a665.jpg

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
You aren't oil bath?!?!?!?!?! I have had grease bearings on 7500lb axles and cooked them fast quick and in a hurry with just our skidder on it.

~1200 to swap to oil bath hub/drum.
~2500 to convert to EOH drum brakes..
I have ~80k on these axles and they are barely worn.. I currently run conventional grease with 500F or better drop point.. Probably should step up to synthetic. I repack ever ~10k.
rewired the brakes on the axles along with new 10k magnets... Side note. 8-15k magnets are same size.... Windings are different.

Did an amp draw test pulling9-10amps.. Should be 12 amps iirc. Re routed factory brake controller wire from the junction box to straight of the battery post picked up an amp to around 10-11.. Not perfect but will pass a DOT break a way test now. Trailer should hold the truck in gear at idle.
Got lift pump and half the big truck fuel filter system on. Need to get my fuel cooler on and oil cooler on. And fenders
-8 lines mount lift pump in the wrong spot... Fuel tank amplifies it lol
Need to pull pos OEM cooler and lines before oil cooler can go in
10511104_10203989891881199_3870527816961465780_n.jpg

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
In the process of painting my tailgate.
not finished yet. Have another coat of color and then the clear. Then wet sand any imperfections and buff her to a shine

What are you spraying it with, that looks pretty damn good!

Glad to hear you got her back on the road! You're my hero! Lol I'm probably gonna follow in your footsteps after I scatter my motor and let go of the 72 and go to a 3794va stg2 myself!
Lol
"Hero"
Jest or not, that's a first!
She's not up and running yet!
Hopefully I got the head studs in as good as I'd hoped (fingers crossed) and got the valve lash set right, other than that it was just swapping over accessories and adding some aesthetic value
;)

But I'm pretty happy with what I've done and confident it'll go back in without issue, this was the first engine I've pulled on my own, and as anyone who's done it knows, while it's not difficult task it is quite an undertaking to do in your garage with basic tools and tight quarters...
:thumb:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Replaced a cracked hard line heater hose that goes right above the boost tube, very sad to report that the factory GM part was made in China... :mad: I ended up putting the new hard line on and reused all the old ruber lines because they were on great shape.

Not happy one bit seeing that made in China sticker at all.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
What are you spraying it with, that looks pretty damn good!

Lol
"Hero"
Jest or not, that's a first!
She's not up and running yet!
Hopefully I got the head studs in as good as I'd hoped (fingers crossed) and got the valve lash set right, other than that it was just swapping over accessories and adding some aesthetic value
;)

But I'm pretty happy with what I've done and confident it'll go back in without issue, this was the first engine I've pulled on my own, and as anyone who's done it knows, while it's not difficult task it is quite an undertaking to do in your garage with basic tools and tight quarters...
:thumb:
I bought 2 cans of duplicolor filler primer, 4 cans duplicolor perfect match fine silver birch metallic (bgm 0528), and 4 cans of duplicolor perfect match clear coat. I used 320 grit to sand the outside and all the edges, cleaned it up like 5 times with zylene and lint free shop rags, then layed down 2 coats primer, 4 coats paint and 4 coats clear. I'll let it dry 24-48 and inspect it really close and decide if it needs wet sanded with 2000 grit. Then I'll buff her to a shine. Then in a week I'll wax her
minerigger, you repainting the whole truck sometime soon?
Na....I mean I'd love a greystone metallic but this silver birch metallic looks great. The truck is silver birch but the tail gate was blue so I made it match. If it don't work out i guess I'll take it in, but I did it inside and took 8 hrs on it....should come out good

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hahaha that is funny. I'm slowly working to the marriage thing. I keep talking myself out of proposing cause of these sites... always finding something I "need" for the truck

Well, maybe I'll get lucky and she'll hand me wrenches......but I doubt it.

Ok you pervs, get your minds out of the gutter. :roflmao:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thanks man! I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turned out :)

Thanks Albert!!!
Meh, had to buy a stock LBZ long block from GM...
:(
Did a pretty good job of breaking the last one, put a hole through the top of the number 8 that went out through the skirt :eek: scored the bore pretty bad too...

We used all the build funds for a new (to us) house, so at least the money went to a good cause...lol

The new place has an awesome garage tho, 14' tall ceilings and big enough for probably 4 cars...I'll be gettin a lift installed :woot:

I'll build the engine sooner than later, but for now I'm just excited to get the truck running again!!!!

Built trans/stock engine tuning is better than NOTHING! I'm getting a DP stg2 3794va turbo and I hope to make some decent power, but moe than anything I just hope to keep it running :eek:
Behave your ass with the fuel this time;)
Replaced a cracked hard line heater hose that goes right above the boost tube, very sad to report that the factory GM part was made in China... :mad: I ended up putting the new hard line on and reused all the old ruber lines because they were on great shape.

Not happy one bit seeing that made in China sticker at all.
Sign of the times... Lots and lots of Caterpillar parts made in China, I was pretty butt hurt myself:mad: