"OFFICIAL" What did you do to your D-Max today?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
That wouldn't be too hard to figure out. Probably a bad connection or the contacts in one of the connectors are loose.

I'll run it by him. He is my knot-head little brother so I'm not exactly sure what he is doing half the time.
10-4 well if he wants Moar powa come on down. Or I can come up there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

trh_husker

Apr 4, 2016
I installed a water pump and used the Empire crankshaft pin kit. That kit is good insurance and it was super easy to do

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Had to trouble shoot my airdog this afternoon. Picked the boys up from school and it wouldn't start. Turn key on and go.crsck bleeder and nothing. Popped the 20 amp fuse between relay and motor. What would cause that?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Between his house restoration and his 200 dogs he said he doesn't get on here much, still alive though. went out to dinner with him last night Mexican food place near Mike L's.

He is a licensed dog trainer now. That's the only way the city would let him keep 200 dogs. Wonder how he gets all of them on his boat when he goes fishing?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Had to trouble shoot my airdog this afternoon. Picked the boys up from school and it wouldn't start. Turn key on and go.crsck bleeder and nothing. Popped the 20 amp fuse between relay and motor. What would cause that?

Seal went bad on motor shaft, its toast, call airdog...

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I figured it was the motor. I put a new fuse in and it started up and drove home. I do know that the whole "flow through design" is a crock of shit. I couldn't prime the truck to save my life...new fuse and fired right up but had a really lopey idle for about 30 seconds. Can I check that seal or is the one I'm thinking of the seal for the cover over the gearator

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I figured it was the motor. I put a new fuse in and it started up and drove home. I do know that the whole "flow through design" is a crock of shit. I couldn't prime the truck to save my life...new fuse and fired right up but had a really lopey idle for about 30 seconds. Can I check that seal or is the one I'm thinking of the seal for the cover over the gearator

Can't service or check motor shaft seal. Need to get warranty replacement motor from air dog.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Bastards. Still doesn't explain why a new fuse let the air dog run again. I'll have to crawl under and investigate it further tomorrow

Last edited:

UGAfsuFAN

Sep 29, 2015
Between VA Beach & Tallahassee
Bastards. Still doesn't explain why a new fuse let the air dog run again. I'll have to crawl under and investigate it further tomorrow

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Blown fuse for air dog while towing wife's car from VA back to FL. I got a CEL about 15 miles from home for low fuel rail pressure while passing a log truck on a two lane road. Air Dog swapped it no problem. I took the old one and couldn't tell any issues turning it by hand. Their warranty is worth the purchase. I'm on my 3rd motor and the only question they ask me is where I want it shipped. As far as the flow thru goes.... I haven't had any issues with that either. Both replacement motors took several days for shipping but truck cranked and ran fine while I waited on UPS. I had to watch the rail pressure gauge till the new one arrived. Now I carry a pack of 20A fuses in my glove box. I figure it'll happen again soon enough.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

I dunno about that Brock....I run a sump and if I pull the feed line after the pump, fuel pours out...also, my rig runs "fine" without the AirDog running...I pull the fuse when I update tuning cuz the AD is set up to come on with the key on (some run it on a switch) I've fired it up and even driven it numerous times and forgot to plug the AD back in...the truck does fall on it face in the bigger tunes tho...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
He is a licensed dog trainer now. That's the only way the city would let him keep 200 dogs. Wonder how he gets all of them on his boat when he goes fishing?

Now see, I had figured he end up herding "cats" ;). I mean, he IS Johnny, after all. :roflmao:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

It will blow again and melt the fuse holder. The motor is over amp drawing bc of the fuel in the windings and brushes.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I know how electric motors work...I don't understand why it started fine 15 min prior at my house. Just over 1/4 tank level ground. Wouldn't fire and smoked fuse but I was uphill. Truck has no sump...I doubt that is it and I'm sure the motor is trashed but at this point I'm thinking out loud. What do you think the odd are of me getting a warranty motor without a warranty card lol

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Perfect...I'll pray first as I don't have da $$$ for one right now. But thank you for all the help fellas...love this sight

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Airdog is sending me a new motor. Synthetic Motorsports emailed me the purchase receipt and I emailed the tech. He called 2min later asking where it's being sent. Very good customer service.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Oh I forgot to post these. So when I crawled under the truck to get the serial number for the AD I noticed oil film sprayed everywhere. It's coming from the transfer case seal. Last may I put a new output bushing in and a new output seal, filled with 2 quts 5w-30 mobil synthetic and no issues. So question is do you guys think I might need a new slip yoke? Also put new u joints in the rear driveshaft at that time and the are still tight...only 4800 miles on everything. Here are the pics
uploadfromtaptalk1460750932034.jpg
e75bd91bee1554035ff4641cf1f7f5e3.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1460750950903.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1460750932034.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1460750932034.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 40
  • uploadfromtaptalk1460750950903.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1460750950903.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 42

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
It's was smooth as a whistle and nice and shiney. I didn't feel any ridges or grooves if you will with my fingernail. I however didn't put calipers or a micrometer on it to check for size imperfections, not sure if that is a possible next step. I read somewhere there is a update yoke? Nickel plated or something, not sure if that's right or not. But being that is a vital piece to the drivetrain I figured I'd best ask when experience is lacking there.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's was smooth as a whistle and nice and shiney. I didn't feel any ridges or grooves if you will with my fingernail. I however didn't put calipers or a micrometer on it to check for size imperfections, not sure if that is a possible next step. I read somewhere there is a update yoke? Nickel plated or something, not sure if that's right or not. But being that is a vital piece to the drivetrain I figured I'd best ask when experience is lacking there.

http://www.amazon.com/Spicer-3-3-01...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

surprised how much the price went up from when i bought it 2 years ago. originally they were 65 bucks. i replaced mine as the splines were starting to knife edge some.