"OFFICIAL" What did you do to your D-Max today?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Could the alternator be sending too much voltage to the pump? When the engine is running 14V is sent to the batteries.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thats how Airdog instructs you to hook it up. My cousin has it wired the same way on his LBZ and hes had the same pump since 2010. The only difference in our trucks is his has the PPE pickup in it, and mine is factory. My pump is always louder than his. Its a high pitched whine that you can hear in cab with the truck running.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Thats how Airdog instructs you to hook it up. My cousin has it wired the same way on his LBZ and hes had the same pump since 2010. The only difference in our trucks is his has the PPE pickup in it, and mine is factory. My pump is always louder than his. Its a high pitched whine that you can hear in cab with the truck running.
Yea I just realized how retarded I sounded lmao. Mine is tied into the battery term. It's getting more than 12v also. (Douh) :banghead:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Power is direct from the alternator. Key on is the normal stacked fuse. Ground is to the frame. Seems like I get 2 years and its done. I even kept the pressure way down on this one to make sure that wasnt wearing them out early.

:confused:
Huh?

It's been 4+ years now, but I remember key on and power being pulled from the stacked fuse, I didnt or rather, don't remember running a separate power wire, and in fact, I pull the stacked fuse when I switch tunes to cut power to the pump...

Not trying to be condescending or a dick, but are you positive that it's hooked up properly?
Also, when its cold your alternator is working triple time, maybe it's not feeding a solid enough state of energy to the pumps motor?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
:confused:
Huh?

It's been 4+ years now, but I remember key on and power being pulled from the stacked fuse, I didnt or rather, don't remember running a separate power wire, and in fact, I pull the stacked fuse when I switch tunes to cut power to the pump...

Not trying to be condescending or a dick, but are you positive that it's hooked up properly?

Im positive Jason. You had to have ran another power wire for constant. The key on fuse jumper only provides voltage to power the pump up when you have the key in "run."

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana

How much pressure do you run? Mine wines pretty good if I go above 13-14psi.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Lol
I had to check...I do have the main power lead for my AD pulled from the alternator:eek:
Ha, I'm an idiot
But you guys knew that ready...
Nuthin's changed
:D
:hug:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Truck develop a throttle and speed related noise at 65 and 6th.. I've checked everything I can..including wheel bearings Can't find culprit... Seams I'm going to have blow it up to find the failing item... Hate doing it this way :(
Hopefully I can get everything picked up and kicked off
Have I mentioned how much I hate trouble shooting problems like this!
Fwiw taking us52/18 from Rochester MN to Janesville wi

Found idler arm bracket and arm are sloppy which killing my tire.. So new part tomorrow then hopefully off to Laredo tx for Monday kickoff

Gues 276k on original steering system time for new stuff
Replaced idler arm and brakcket, new tire and new transmission mount.. All needed replacing but not the issue causing the noise :mad:
all fluids checked greased
Heading for lerado tx early AM, 1500 miles then ~300 back to Houston to kick of stop #2
Hate having something wrong and I can't find it :banghead:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
How much pressure do you run? Mine wines pretty good if I go above 13-14psi.

Get the dodge spring kit, I run mine at 20 psi with no added noise, ran it maxed out with the dodge spring on my LMM, if fact I think it got more quiet turned way up. Why run it at 10 psi if you can run more? It's only lilys and lb7's that freak out over pressure. I've only had 1 LMM freak out with a maxed out pump and I only turned that one down a half turn and it was happy. It's not usually the pump making the noise by the way, it's the jam nut on the regulator spring.

divemonster

Sep 12, 2014
Replaced my radiator and got the old girl back on the road. I hated having to drive the company camry every day. Especially with the weather were having this weekend I'm glad she's back going.
Tomorrow I'm helping a buddy install a leveling kit and new shocks on his dmax

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Get the dodge spring kit, I run mine at 20 psi with no added noise, ran it maxed out with the dodge spring on my LMM, if fact I think it got more quiet turned way up. Why run it at 10 psi if you can run more? It's only lilys and lb7's that freak out over pressure. I've only had 1 LMM freak out with a maxed out pump and I only turned that one down a half turn and it was happy. It's not usually the pump making the noise by the way, it's the jam nut on the regulator spring.

I actually get high rp codes if I run mine at 15. Weird.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

I put an in-line pressure gauge on my feed line, as close to the CP3 as I couod get, to KNOW what was going on with my lift pump pressure

If I run my AD165 above 12psi, my LBZ lopes pretty bad
8psi and under it will drop to nearly zero psi under WOT on the big tune

I've got it adjusted to where the needle bounces between 10-11+psi @ idle and it works out well...that for a stock CP3, 60 over, single turbo, stock engine- setup ;)

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I put an in-line pressure gauge on my feed line, as close to the CP3 as I couod get, to KNOW what was going on with my lift pump pressure

If I run my AD165 above 12psi, my LBZ lopes pretty bad
8psi and under it will drop to nearly zero psi under WOT on the big tune

I've got it adjusted to where the needle bounces between 10-11+psi @ idle and it works out well...that for a stock CP3, 60 over, single turbo, stock engine- setup ;)

I just used the test port to check them, not sure why I didn't have issues turning them up. Maybe it's in the tuning, the cummins cp3 regulator s the same right?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Pulled the front end apart so all the broken stuff could fall out and ordered parts. And looked at it and my garage in disbelief of all the salt and mud. Truck will be fixed tomorrow and my garage floor is getting scrubbed to death.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Finally decided time to fix my small fuel leak on back of cp3. Find out the fuel supply fitting that screws into back of pump had to long of threads and bottomed out before was fully tightened up.

Forgot to take a pic of the difference in my new fitting and the old one. It must have been really close to working though because I'd ran it about a year and it just started leaking a month ago or so.

If anybody got a kit from Wcfab a year or more ago you may need to be prepared to do this, I don't know...

(And for some reason I can't post a pic now, says to large.. Why is that?)