Off Season Sled Pulling Mods

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Yea i figured some may go one piece. Im going to stay with a two piece so i can still drive it. Ill prob end up going with mark even though im sure hes pricey but you gotta pay to play! Thanks for the advice Caleb

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The carrier bearing will be the only weak point if you have Mark build you one. Not much you can do to upgrade it either, esp if you driving on street.

Edit: Let me rephrase this, because you cannot get a bigger carrier bearing, the slip yoke is only 1 9/16" or something like that(on 1480 yokes). So the part that is splined and necked down is what shears off everytime.

Last edited:

cuminstrkmydmax

Sep 10, 2008
North East MD
I went through two custom shafts- both two piece with carrier bearings. Both times the splined shaft at the carrier bearing broke. I now have a one piece in, and haven't had any problems.
-Steven

lawnboy01

Mar 29, 2007
New Philadelphia, Ohio
The carrier bearing will be the only weak point if you have Mark build you one. Not much you can do to upgrade it either, esp if you driving on street.

Edit: Let me rephrase this, because you cannot get a bigger carrier bearing, the slip yoke is only 1 9/16" or something like that(on 1480 yokes). So the part that is splined and necked down is what shears off everytime.

That's why something like I used works well. Used the bearing out of a bus the slip yoke is also 1550. The splined shaft is big (like asshole big) :D It's all Spicer stuff I'm sure Mark can make. Just a little junk yard digg'n can save a couple bills

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
we are only 1550 in the rear, i dont beleive there are any 1550 slip yolks for the rear of the t case at least that i could find. its held up now though, the pinion broke flush with the back of the yolk now!!

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
AAM 3.42 gear set! Tha fast ratio has been some of our drive line issues, but in 3 years have never broke a tooth on the R.P. gonna have to drop ratios, transfercases are getting expensive!!

Last edited:

nwpadmax

comlpete diphsit
Aug 17, 2006
under my truck
I hate to admit it but you are right on that Matt!

As evidenced by the fact that G.O. is still running a stock rear driveshaft...

How do I know? I have a truck in my shop with a missing driveshaft :D

Wonder how long before he gets on here to join in some local smack talk?

Briggs0130

Dec 7, 2010
So far my ccsb steel drive shaft from mark has help up well. I had him build me a replacement with 1410's so that I could use my factory as a spare to get me home. She's lasted two seasons so far including the last season on 35's. I drove out to Bunker twice and didn't do too bad. IIRC Ondo wasn't snapping u-joints was he? I thought the tubing was twisting on him.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
So far my ccsb steel drive shaft from mark has help up well. I had him build me a replacement with 1410's so that I could use my factory as a spare to get me home. She's lasted two seasons so far including the last season on 35's. I drove out to Bunker twice and didn't do too bad. IIRC Ondo wasn't snapping u-joints was he? I thought the tubing was twisting on him.

To my knowledge You are correct.

nwpadmax

comlpete diphsit
Aug 17, 2006
under my truck
Funny story, I twisted the stock aluminum shaft back in the day and Sledpuller sent me straight to Mark as I had no idea who Mark was. And then I went to his shop and saw all the trophies, holy crap, this guy has been around. Anyway, he made me a steel one that never broke, daily drove it everywhere, lots of hooks, zero issues.

I was finishing up the 2007 season and I saw Mark and he had this chit-eatin' grin on his face and I asked what was up and he says "I cringe every time I watch you pull!" He was pretty sure I would spit the thing out eventually.

Still have that shaft. We still laugh about it.

Next one will be even bigger....and steel of course.