No Allison for 2017

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Contrary to what may be the overwhelming majority here, I think a 7 or 8 speed transmission would benefit the overall (on paper) capabilities of the Dmax/Silverado platform...

Think about it...
More gears=more consistant hill pulls and more efficiency while doing it
More gears= greater hill decent control
More gears= less RPM drop per shift
More gears= "should" yeild better economy all the way around
More gears should force the engineering of the trans to work faster, i.e, shift faster

I am pretty impressed with the 8sp trans Jeep is using and the 7sp that was in my ex wife's BMW...

I dunno, personally I see an extra gear as a huge benifit. I would imagine quicker shifts, more MPG and greater hauling and payload capabilities... It's progress, if that didn't happen we would still be driving NA diesels, doing propane injection and rowing gears thru a granny geared 4sp slush box :)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
We dont need more gears. More than 6-speeds would require a 4th planetary.

Another planetary means more complexity, more weight, more things to break, and more parasitic load on the engine. Not to mention more cost.

Do you want a truck thats heavier, more complicated, potentially less reliable, more expensive, and gets worse fuel economy? I didnt think so.;)

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Emissions rules will be changing (EPA will be adopting CARB standards in part starting 2017) and CAFE standards need to be met starting in 2017 and will apply to 2017 light duty trucks so a transmission upgrade is the next logical step to meet those standards and more gears, evenly spaced gear ratios may be the way to meet those standards in the coming 5 years. The 6 speed Allison the way it is now sucks with the 4-5 5-6 shifts.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/fuel-economy

In October of 2012, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued joint final rules to further improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions for passenger cars and light trucks. Since NHTSA is required by Congress to set CAFE standards for no more than five years at a time, it issued final standards for model years 2017 to 2021 and presented non-final “augural” standards for years 2022-2025. The non-final standards were presented in the interest of aiding manufacturers in future product planning and of harmonization with EPA’s greenhouse gas emission standards. NHTSA will propose and establish CAFE standards for MYs 2022-2025 through a comprehensive future rulemaking that will be informed by the latest available data and information.
In its part of the joint light-duty program, EPA issued final GHG standards for all nine model years 2017 to 2025. However, EPA made a regulatory commitment to conduct a Midterm Evaluation (MTE) of longer-term standards for MY 2022-2025. Through the MTE, EPA will decide whether the GHG standards for model years 2022-2025, established in 2012, are still appropriate given the latest available data and information.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
At least you know now what the power ratings are going to be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Those could change.

What Henry posted isnt necessarily the gospel.

One of the other documents he posted talked about the new Bosch ECM and fuel system, but thats not true....its going to be all Denso.

There is much more very secret info (that is more up to date) that is internal to GM powertrain only and not available to other divisions of GM...

Ben

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I wish the Allison was a bit more robust in the HP handling department. Guys with the 6.7 fords are holding 600hp pretty dang easily with their stock trans. Sure, some guys might fry one hear and there, but it doesnt happen often. Not only that, their trans seems to respond to trans tuning a tick better than ours (Buddy of mine has one so I've scoped it out a few times).

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I wish the Allison was a bit more robust in the HP handling department. Guys with the 6.7 fords are holding 600hp pretty dang easily with their stock trans. Sure, some guys might fry one hear and there, but it doesnt happen often. Not only that, their trans seems to respond to trans tuning a tick better than ours (Buddy of mine has one so I've scoped it out a few times).

Wait till it breaks. If you think an Allison costs a lot; think again.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
In the end no matter what you do to the Ford is going to make it out perform a duramax.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
In the end no matter what you do to the Ford is going to make it out perform a duramax.

huh?

And Mike, the Ford's trans may be alot to fix, but it doesnt happen very much at all. Especially for the guys only making 500-600hp.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
huh?

And Mike, the Ford's trans may be alot to fix, but it doesnt happen very much at all. Especially for the guys only making 500-600hp.

I just did 2 of them at 500 hp. Parts would have cost me 5K without my labor or mark up. I bought new.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just did 2 of them at 500 hp. Parts would have cost me 5K without my labor or mark up. I bought new.

from what i keep hearing guys spend on dodge and ford trans to make them hold what you built mine to hold, it sure makes me glad i have an allison.

ILuvJDM

Jul 15, 2014
Austin, Texas
from what i keep hearing guys spend on dodge and ford trans to make them hold what you built mine to hold, it sure makes me glad i have an allison.

My buddy spent like $10k on his built trans for his dodge, but said it would hold 1k HP... Still seems like an expensive tranny build to me. I think that price included freight and duties to Canada as well which is where it was built.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My buddy spent like $10k on his built trans for his dodge, but said it would hold 1k HP... Still seems like an expensive tranny build to me. I think that price included freight and duties to Canada as well which is where it was built.

hes not the only one ive heard paying that much for a dodge trans to hold that much HP. I have a friend that just did a fully built 48re (everything you can do) and swapped out his 68rfe for it in his 4th gen. it cost him right around the same.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
They need all the parts replaced pretty much. Parts alone are about 7000 bucks for a built dodge

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
We dont need more gears. More than 6-speeds would require a 4th planetary.

Another planetary means more complexity, more weight, more things to break, and more parasitic load on the engine. Not to mention more cost.

Do you want a truck thats heavier, more complicated, potentially less reliable, more expensive, and gets worse fuel economy? I didnt think so.;)

Thank you.