No Allison for 2017

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My buddy spent like $10k on his built trans for his dodge, but said it would hold 1k HP... Still seems like an expensive tranny build to me. I think that price included freight and duties to Canada as well which is where it was built.
Probably done by Commercial Powertrain. Guys around these parts have said it's a pretty stout unit. With a warranty if they let him tune the trans.
But 10g is ridiculous.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Buddy with a 6.4 made it a long time with a stock trans at 600 hp but what's bad is after he dropped $7k for a build it didn't last as long as the stock He bought a new place in the country. He build a shop first, then next will be a house. Typical ford owner.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Those could change.

What Henry posted isnt necessarily the gospel.

One of the other documents he posted talked about the new Bosch ECM and fuel system, but thats not true....its going to be all Denso.

There is much more very secret info (that is more up to date) that is internal to GM powertrain only and not available to other divisions of GM...

Ben

I see a lot more when login into the local network vs at home lol. I still need to look at updated info when I'm not running around the plant trying to keep up with the baby truck and Van parts.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Um, correct? I don't know what you're asking or alluding to...
Your answer to the claim of $7000 to build a 68 being wrong is what he is asking. You said no....... Is it more? Less?

Last edited:

'strokeThis_'07

Oct 2, 2009
Laramie, WY
There was nothing specified, he said "Dodge trans" after two posts about 48re's. Logically one would assume he's referring to a 48.

68's aren't $7k in parts alone either. A whole trans is like $7500-8500 roughly. And then there's the Revmax 1000 at $10k; I don't even know who all runs that. Most seem to switch to old reliable by then.

Dmaxmaniac

2008 LMM lucifer
Sep 2, 2015
MichiGan
There was nothing specified, he said "Dodge trans" after two posts about 48re's. Logically one would assume he's referring to a 48.

68's aren't $7k in parts alone either. A whole trans is like $7500-8500 roughly. And then there's the Revmax 1000 at $10k; I don't even know who all runs that. Most seem to switch to old reliable by then.

sorry to intrude but isn't this a duramax forum. just sayin mike l. ftw :thumb:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If you want to replace clutches and minor mods then yes it can be done much cheaper than 7000. If you want to fix all the things that break in a dodge trans it will take much more than most want to pay. They are weak transmissions period. I get discounted prices from Suncoast and priced out what it took to make the equal to their best and it was what I stated earlier. Most guys versions of "built" are not really built. It is throw a after market set if clutches and steels in with some shift enhancements and that's it. Hey, what do I know, this is just a duramax forum. We may be behind times over here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I've got a suncoast built 47re on the shelf here. It has everything suncoast can do to one. Billet shafts... Everything. With a converter it was a touch over 8000. 1000 plus horsepower trans. It was bought several years ago though. Don't know the current pricing.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
47/48's are WAY different from the 68 when your talking build cost and reliability. I have a couple of friends that have built 68RFE and both have had to be RE rebuilt multiple times and both were under 700 HP. With the cost of around 7500 for a built 68RFE, that makes me not think twice about an Allison.

'strokeThis_'07

Oct 2, 2009
Laramie, WY
If you want to replace clutches and minor mods then yes it can be done much cheaper than 7000. If you want to fix all the things that break in a dodge trans it will take much more than most want to pay. They are weak transmissions period. I get discounted prices from Suncoast and priced out what it took to make the equal to their best and it was what I stated earlier. Most guys versions of "built" are not really built. It is throw a after market set if clutches and steels in with some shift enhancements and that's it. Hey, what do I know, this is just a duramax forum. We may be behind times over here.

That's just not true. I've bought two of them, I know EXACTLY what they cost. I also know what I'll be in it parts-wise when I rebuild them myself.

And they aren't "weak transmissions period". :rofl:

It may be a Duramax forum, but if I see obvious misinformation I'm going to call someone on it. Doesn't matter what forum it is, it could be Cummins Forum and I'd still disagree.

And as stated, generally a 68RFE is more expensive than a 47/48re is. And a 68 won't ever hold what a 47/48 will as reliably. The 68 just isn't a big power holder.

Yes, we have tiny shafts compared to the Allison. I believe you guys can go above 800hp range with stock shafts, correct? Isn't a Dodge on the planet that can do that; one launch with 800hp and a stock input and that's all she wrote.:roflmao:

Certainly not here to stir up shit or argue. I pop in and out every once in awhile to see what's going on in your world. I just don't have a Duramax yet so what am I going to talk about with any regularity, right?:D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's just not true. I've bought two of them, I know EXACTLY what they cost. I also know what I'll be in it parts-wise when I rebuild them myself.

And they aren't "weak transmissions period". :rofl:

It may be a Duramax forum, but if I see obvious misinformation I'm going to call someone on it. Doesn't matter what forum it is, it could be Cummins Forum and I'd still disagree.

And as stated, generally a 68RFE is more expensive than a 47/48re is. And a 68 won't ever hold what a 47/48 will as reliably. The 68 just isn't a big power holder.

Yes, we have tiny shafts compared to the Allison. I believe you guys can go above 800hp range with stock shafts, correct? Isn't a Dodge on the planet that can do that; one launch with 800hp and a stock input and that's all she wrote.:roflmao:

Certainly not here to stir up shit or argue. I pop in and out every once in awhile to see what's going on in your world. I just don't have a Duramax yet so what am I going to talk about with any regularity, right?:D

you realize that everything you stated in this post does not disagree with what Shane posted other than you say it doesnt cost that much. what i dont think your seeing is we all here are comparing pricing of these dodge trans to ours via price and what they can hold. to get any dodge trans to hold 800-1000hp reliably, it will need all kinds of billet parts, clutches, VB mods, and good converter. An allison can get away with stock hard parts in the same HP range as long as they run good tuning in the truck and are not the 20-25% that have had bad hardening on the shafts. Even still, if you say your all in at 7k to build a dodge trans to hold said HP, an Allison trans is 4500ish to build with converter done by very reputable shops.

There is a reason i see many many guys swapping the 68 out for a 48 when they want to push any kind of decent hp and have something that some what lasts. At the end of the day, you get a more expensive trans that shifts hard, harsh lock up, and still may break billet parts unless you put bad boy suncoast stuff in.

'strokeThis_'07

Oct 2, 2009
Laramie, WY
All I was saying, is parts to build my 48re to hold power are not $7k (parts, not parts and labor), which would allude to a bill of around $10k from a builder. That was the statement made, I corrected that. I wasn't comparing to anything else. That may have been my mistake, apologies.

I don't have hard shifts, nor do I have harsh lockup. Yeah, at the 1100hp range, anything can break parts, even billet ones. Are Allison's holding north of 1k on stock shafts? I was under the impression you guys run stock shafts to the 800-ish range and go billet for the 900+ range, but I may have been wrong there.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
All I was saying, is parts to build my 48re to hold power are not $7k (parts, not parts and labor), which would allude to a bill of around $10k from a builder. That was the statement made, I corrected that. I wasn't comparing to anything else. That may have been my mistake, apologies.

I don't have hard shifts, nor do I have harsh lockup. Yeah, at the 1100hp range, anything can break parts, even billet ones. Are Allison's holding north of 1k on stock shafts? I was under the impression you guys run stock shafts to the 800-ish range and go billet for the 900+ range, but I may have been wrong there.

You have danced around enough on what it takes to build one enough. Either STFU or post a number of what you think it takes parts and labor. I'll bet Mike is right...

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Firepunk is popular in this area for dodge stuff, and Lavon can do a comp1 trans to hold 800 for right around $6g installed. The setups that cost close to $10,000 are what is behind his engine pushing 1400+HP and running good track times.

The Allison is cheaper, but I don't believe you can get an 800hp trans for $4500 OTD that'll last. If so, prices have come down a lot in the last 3yrs since I was shopping around.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
The Allison is cheaper, but I don't believe you can get an 800hp trans for $4500 OTD that'll last. If so, prices have come down a lot in the last 3yrs since I was shopping around.

Sure can. Less if it's a 6speed that doesn't need a pump rub kit.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Firepunk is popular in this area for dodge stuff, and Lavon can do a comp1 trans to hold 800 for right around $6g installed. The setups that cost close to $10,000 are what is behind his engine pushing 1400+HP and running good track times.

You certainly can but your not getting any hard parts in there ;)