My turn for a motor build thread

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Kris, I honestly think that the cast .020" over pistons are your best bet. Whether you use fingers' or use Davids lml pistons, you wil be happier without forged and increased ring and cyl wall wear. You most likely wont be able to reuse your pistons as has been said. Trent had that lly top end stuff for sale too, I would also seriously consider that route instead of cupless heads or screw in cups. Lml oil pump conversion too. hx series bearings. Proper machining by RAD. then learning fro my mistakes...you'll be all set bud:thumb:
Tim, Cast pistons make the most sense. I'm most likely wont ever be on the level of needing forged, nor can I see myself tearing a motor down to replace rings that inherently come by going forged. I have lots of phone calls to make and parts to source at this point. I appreciate the guidance thus far :hug: Hadn't thought about going LLY top end though though. Nor going LML oil pump? Lots of learning and head scratching going on here still :eek:
Sorry to hear about the carnage. It's a wake up call to those like myself who are still in a pipe dream of an 11 sec pass with no consequences. Another one from the borrowed time club bites the dust. I'll see you on the other side brother! Oh and wait. Drive ford ranger during winter. Save for parts so you don't buy on credit. Interest payments suck
Dude your not kidding. I thought an 11 was possible for sure before it let go. Lots have been there, but I guess all my passes on the street and all my 12.0-12.1 passes with twins helped the processs along. Triples felt just that much faster. I'm out of the borrowed time club for sure:spit: Hold it down for me in there :D

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpg
Picture 004.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 98

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LUCK! Glad u decided to do the motor, with your resources close to you i wouldnt hesitate do build it either.

I thought you would hit the 11 on the stock motor! after seeing the end result im glad i stopped trying. :hug:

Good luck,

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Trent had that lly top end stuff for sale too, I would also seriously consider that route instead of cupless heads or screw in cups.

That's the way I'd go, LB7 ECM and FICM with LLY heads, LBZ rods, LML oil pump. Not the strongest but it would be fun and definitely budget. :broke:

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Kris, when you sent the text to me that morning with the pictures, i was still drunk from the night before along with continuing the shit show, so beer is okay in my book :thumb: Funny how i still managed to make out what happened :roflmao:

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LUCK! Glad u decided to do the motor, with your resources close to you i wouldnt hesitate do build it either.

I thought you would hit the 11 on the stock motor! after seeing the end result im glad i stopped trying. :hug:

Good luck,
It's all good man. Its the luck of the draw. Thats why they call it team borrowed time:( I know I hammered the shit out of this thing shooting for the 11's, as well as my fare share of street racing. Its awesome to have a great bunch of guys local to me all willing to give advise/helping hand. Thats one of the main reasons I'm choosing to build. Just cuz I broke before I got there, don't mean you should give up :woott:
That's the way I'd go, LB7 ECM and FICM with LLY heads, LBZ rods, LML oil pump. Not the strongest but it would be fun and definitely budget. :broke:
Toying with the idea. I like the thought of easy change injectors and no cup issues. No LBZ rods here though. Going to have to play with the big boys and pony up.

Here's the build List so far (really a wish list as this is over 10g):

Carrillos
Fingers pistons
ARP head/main studs
HX Bearings
New Tig'd water pump
New oil pump/cooler (LML?)
Balanced/keyed crank, cam, oil pump
100 over Exergy injectors
New HG's

The heads will get hamilton/socal/DTS springs. Stock cam. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy new Bosch injectors as mine are the old style. Not going to play with fire and put tips on them even though they are perfect last time I checked. Fogetting anything?

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
Truck was forced into an early hibernation this year! Your right though, I dont drive it much, but now that im dropping stupid money on it, I just may. Forged pistons are really tempting though. At that point, I should look at Fingers pistons though right? So many options and none are the best of both worlds. Damn you monotherms for being rediculously expensive.

Thanks man. Sounds like you'll be better off then I am when the time comes. Having parts for a build set aside is the way to go for sure.

I did think about that long and hard, but heres the thing...my truck is put away and stored for the winter so I am already not driving it the next 4-5 months. I dont 'need' it running as its a toy. So dropping 3500 on a running motor that I know for a fact that I will not be able to control myself with and keep the power down doesn't seem logical. But then again, neither does spending 10g's on a built motor. :confused:

Do you work for beer? ;)

yes

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Haha good to know Greg. I'll be sure to let you know when the motor pulling party happens!
Kris, when you sent the text to me that morning with the pictures, i was still drunk from the night before along with continuing the shit show, so beer is okay in my book :thumb: Funny how i still managed to make out what happened :roflmao:
Haha well as long as your willing to have another one of those nights pulling the motor, we should be all set! As you've experienced first hand, nothing with my truck wants without a fight. This is slowly turning into a keg party isnt it? :eek:

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
before you know it, everyones passed out on the lawn and the princess is still under her pretty little cover :roflmao:

i say we just do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCHkAL1ybQo

Dude I have seen this vid a LONG time ago...but holy sh*t I almost fell out of my chair laughing again. Damn I can see it now "Hold my beer and watch this"...those words have come out of my mouth more then a few times :rofl:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It's all good man. Its the luck of the draw. Thats why they call it team borrowed time:( I know I hammered the shit out of this thing shooting for the 11's, as well as my fare share of street racing. Its awesome to have a great bunch of guys local to me all willing to give advise/helping hand. Thats one of the main reasons I'm choosing to build. Just cuz I broke before I got there, don't mean you should give up :woott:

Toying with the idea. I like the thought of easy change injectors and no cup issues. No LBZ rods here though. Going to have to play with the big boys and pony up.

Here's the build List so far (really a wish list as this is over 10g):

Carrillos
Fingers pistons
ARP head/main studs
HX Bearings
New Tig'd water pump
New oil pump/cooler (LML?)
Balanced/keyed crank, cam, oil pump
100 over Exergy injectors
New HG's

The heads will get hamilton/socal/DTS springs. Stock cam. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy new Bosch injectors as mine are the old style. Not going to play with fire and put tips on them even though they are perfect last time I checked. Fogetting anything?

Welcome to Team Time's Up!!
Sorry to hear your engine ate the green wiener.
At least you were close to home not like I was-500 miles away!

Your build plans look good and similar to mine.
I would really consider the LLY heads. Much better injector set-up-no cups to deal with and easier to change the injectors if you have to. You will have to buy a set of injectors, but at least you know they have been gone through with the new tips.
I would have liked to try Finger's piston's but pulled the trigger on Mahle Cast Race pistons before Finger's offered them to me. Actually kind of forgot about them as last I heard they were still being tested not for sale as a production item. Serves me for not paying attention!:eek: I would like to see some more miles on a set to prove longevity although Jon doesn't figure this will be an issue. Time will tell.
Talk to Henry, he can hook you up with a gasket set including HG's and everything is in it-no messing about.

What's the deal with the LML oil pump? Better? More oil flow? Cheaper?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
There is a tsb report still out on the lml oil pump Tom a buzzing noice. Also need mid oil pan and timing cover from lml for swap. Would also have to make sure about water pump I forget if it changed or not. But for the normal build I would stay with a Lbz oil pump to get away from the lb7 pump.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
a buzzing noise? Lol I would never hear it if there was one...my truck is too damn loud. 11% more flow sold me. And the fact that it only cost me $300 to upgrade everything

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
a buzzing noise? Lol I would never hear it if there was one...my truck is too damn loud. 11% more flow sold me. And the fact that it only cost me $300 to upgrade everything

There not sure but at this point the buzzing is thought to be a vibration in the pump from Gm but there not fixing at this point. I'll post the TSb later or if Ben sees this I think he saw the thread and posted also on DF.