my thoughts after running twins for a while

greif03lb7

cc/lb and lovin it
Dec 9, 2012
Granger, Ia
Cant wait to see what my s475 over the stocker does then Im gonna put 40% overs in it and see how much it improves. I hope to run low 12s but idk.

Benltr

Jan 17, 2012
Torque converter setup might hurt/help in many case. It is very important to choose a good converter for your setup.

When i baby around town, it is a bit sluggish with cold temp but i dont have any issue spooling it and it is pretty fast to spool when WOT. My ET also represent how badass the 475/stocker can be at the track.

greif03lb7

cc/lb and lovin it
Dec 9, 2012
Granger, Ia
Torque converter setup might hurt/help in many case. It is very important to choose a good converter for your setup.

When i baby around town, it is a bit sluggish with cold temp but i dont have any issue spooling it and it is pretty fast to spool when WOT. My ET also represent how badass the 475/stocker can be at the track.
I have a ml converter Its good for a stock turbo but idk about stocker with a s475. When I built the trans I said this one will work I wont change the turbo set up anyway. But I also said I would leave the truck stock when I bought it. I guess I lie to myself alot haha.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
if i put an allison in the truck...the convertor will be tighter then the 1056
in the 1500-1700rpm range..
what ever stall that came stock with the 6.5TD works amazingly well behind the dmax especailly in the heaving towing area..

08liftedHD

Jan 5, 2012
My batmo and race covered S475 over stock spools quick and is plenty snappy, except from a stop to about 10mph. Obviously not an issue with a boosted launch though. Also, I definitely drive it differently because it is smokey as hell below 1600ish rpm. Don't wanna get busted since I just moved to Cali and the CARB is rough with fines.

I'd have gone with a tighter converter, especially since I'm back to stockish height.

05LLY duramax

boostin
Apr 5, 2012
I suggest you be very careful in your tuning if you twin your truck. The bigger tires and added weight from the lift makes it easier to bend rods, me and another guy (hes not on here no mo) bent our rods quickly and were making less than 600hp

I was not aware of that. I do plan on twining the truck in a few months once winter is done for out here. Im only 45 min away from duramax tuner. That's who Im gonna have tune my truck.. What size lift and tires were on the truck that the rods bent on?? What was the HP and TQ?

blue09dmaxx

Too broke for this shit
Jan 15, 2012
The south
Not impressed with my twins for street driving at all. They are just too big for a stock motorred truck and i cant fuel them hard enough on the low end to spool them. I feel twins are a awesome choice for a built motor street truck that wants something cool and fun but if you cant fuel them you are alot better off to run a single with the right amount of fuel. JMO figured i would add it here, my twins will be coming off in the spring to run my s366 again or maybe a s371.

ill buy the rest of your kit

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
This is the same way I felt about my twins and this was part of the reason why I went back to a single turbo. Absolutely love the way my truck drives on the street as a big single VGT. That being said I am going to re-twin my truck this spring for racing becuase of the power and egt's will racing with twins. I'm looking for 1K Hp single pumped with the twins...:spit:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
0 issues running my truck around in the snow or towing, people riding in it think it is stock just driving it around. I run a 1057 converter and Rob's tunes

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I was not aware of that. I do plan on twining the truck in a few months once winter is done for out here. Im only 45 min away from duramax tuner. That's who Im gonna have tune my truck.. What size lift and tires were on the truck that the rods bent on?? What was the HP and TQ?

i was and still am running 37s on a 8" lift and ran a track proven 550hp. couldnt tell you torque as it was never on a dyno but i know it was more than the rods could take. this was all on a 2900pw tune with falling rail pressure so i thought i was well under in hp for hurting the motor..........i thought wrong.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I am pretty happy so far with my triples. They are a little smokier than with the single. I am working on that but I think I will get it all to my satisfaction. The 55 converter is the best that I have tried so far.

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Ive run a few different setups over the years. My first kit was an 475/stock charger. I loved that setup for every reason already touched on in this thread. It spooled prety quick, hit pretty hard, and didnt really sacrafice much. It was enough to hurt the motor pretty sure too. James and I are a testemant to that. Before the rods decided they had enough, I swapped to a 'race' tripple setup from EPR and swaped to a batmo wheel. I have no idea what the batmo did for the setup but I fiduged I was in there so mine as well. The triples spooled a little faster then the S475 by my seat of the pants. It also hit a lot harder too but kept EGT's even more in check. I had NO fuel on tap to drive them harder and I knew they were starved for more fuel. I had a few thousand miles on the setup before the motor had enough. it was a combination of both the twins, and triples and my heavy right foot. There is no doubt that the setup, kept conservative, is a nasty street set up. Im sure the same 'race' kit with a stock VGT (not sure if Trent has this out there) would be the tits as well.

Now that Im not in the stock motor club anymore, and I can comment what 100 overs and dual fuelers feel like, holy FAWK it is a whole different ball game. Not much seat time on the setup, but I was impressed with the street driving maners. It was docile, yet spooled wicked fast with little effort. I want to see how far the stock charger will let me take it, as I dont want to sacrafice spoolup as its downright fun! Im sure Ill have some lag like the bigger twin setups have. Ill have to get some vids up so everyone can see what im talking about. I wouldnt do it any differently

05LLY duramax

boostin
Apr 5, 2012
i was and still am running 37s on a 8" lift and ran a track proven 550hp. couldnt tell you torque as it was never on a dyno but i know it was more than the rods could take. this was all on a 2900pw tune with falling rail pressure so i thought i was well under in hp for hurting the motor..........i thought wrong.

I will definitely be coming to you for advice in the future