my thoughts after running twins for a while

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Just thought I would give my opinion for the guys looking to upgrade. The twins are sick at WOT, when they light it is super smooth and just pulls like crazy on the top end.

I have a T4 366 over T6 S480 and the downside is it can be laggy once you lock the converter and hang below 1800rpm or so. Josh has done some amazing things with the tuning but I think My biggest issue is mentally accepting that the stock charger's almost zero lag is now gone.

for those of you looking to upgrade to potentially laggy setup, think on it a little. stock charger trucks get into the 500-550 range will little effort and good tuning. the stock VVT charger lit so quick on the street it was ridiculous and I miss that part! drift effortlessly and on command, especially with the lockup box!

Do you really need more power on the street? probably not, but hey...we all want more power! I'm just saying that other than WOT performance, the stock charger is a blast on the street!

Don't get me wrong, I love my setup! especially with josh's newest tunes! I just didn't realize how much fun the stock charger was until it was gone. the twins are just different. Super smooth power band when it comes in.

Big plus with the twins is how open the engine bay is with just removing compressor pipe from the 480 to 366. Super easy to get to everything! The stock turbo is just tucked way down in the valley and back under the lmm firewall. The EGR took up a lot of room too! Get that bad boy off of there!

WOT runs on the race tune only get to 1350-1400 deg and she starts to sing like a big boy after 40psi or so. Towed great the other day too, just have to ease into the throttle to build a little heat before rolling in to get on top of the turbos. Just takes a different driving style.

Also the in cab noise level is way down overall! the exhaust tones are super quiet compared to stock. I guess it's the routing and the fact that you are using more of the exhausted energy.

I love my twins!! Josh's tuning is amazing!! but I just miss the stock turbo at times playing on the street. Don't get wrapped up in the "bigger is better" train of though when upgrading your turbo. :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for the feed back Russ! you pretty much answered the battle i had going on in my head about upgrading twins, not happening :D.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Thanks for the feed back Russ! you pretty much answered the battle i had going on in my head about upgrading twins, not happening :D.

a stock over s475 definitely spools better than my setup, no doubt! My cousin's LMM is a stock over 475 so we have it to compare side by side.

I also miss my little bit of exhaust braking using the VVT vanes.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a stock over s475 definitely spools better than my setup, no doubt! My cousin's LMM is a stock over 475 so we have it to compare side by side.

I also miss my little bit of exhaust braking using the VVT vanes.

my issue would be the lag for towing. right now, anything below 1500rpm and cant get the turbo to come up while im towing my trailer which is right about 55mph. i cruise at 1800 at 70mph and it will cruise right up the rolling hills without downshifting. im afraid the 66 would have to kick down alot to get it up and moving. if i re-geared it would probably be fine but theres another 1000 bucks lol

Join my Big Single Club!!!

but why? its always better to have someone else in on the fun than just you all by your lonesome :D

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
once i find my 06 i will be rocking a single just a 68mm vgt with a 10mm stroker pump and bolt ons everything else is going to look stock as can be. Have a twin s480 over s366 reg cab have a ext cab triple turbo need to finish when i come home and want to build a single and sell the reg cab maybe even the ext cab. ;)

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
my issue would be the lag for towing. right now, anything below 1500rpm and cant get the turbo to come up while im towing my trailer which is right about 55mph. i cruise at 1800 at 70mph and it will cruise right up the rolling hills without downshifting. im afraid the 66 would have to kick down alot to get it up and moving. if i re-geared it would probably be fine but theres another 1000 bucks lol

I completely understand! I will be towing the toy hauler in 5th gear which puts me at like 1900-2000 cruising and these turbos are happy there.

I don't really start lighting the turbos good until around 1700 and is coming on strong at 18-1900. At 1500, you might as well just be running a smoke tune! lol it will cruise there no prob but just won't get on top of the turbos to light them good or pull a heavy load at that rpm

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I'm not a fan of big twins. My cuz has 472/5533 with diverter valve, 100s, 2xcp3 and his truck isnt as snappy as my 375 single. His wont blow the tires off while rolling like mine. Once they're lit up the power is redonkulous, but it's just not as fun to drive around town. 475/stock VVT is the most fun compound setup I've been in/drove.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I completely understand! I will be towing the toy hauler in 5th gear which puts me at like 1900-2000 cruising and these turbos are happy there.

I don't really start lighting the turbos good until around 1700 and is coming on strong at 18-1900. At 1500, you might as well just be running a smoke tune! lol it will cruise there no prob but just won't get on top of the turbos to light them good or pull a heavy load at that rpm

Lol yeah that wouldnt go over well :roflmao:. Thank you for the post though russ in all seriousness, nice to see an honest description on what you like and dont like

Last edited:

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm not a fan of big twins. My cuz has 472/5533 with diverter valve, 100s, 2xcp3 and his truck isnt as snappy as my 375 single. His wont blow the tires off while rolling like mine. Once their lit up the power is redonkulous, but it's just not as fun to drive around town. 475/stock VVT is the most fun compound setup I've been in/drove.

exactly, just not as snappy but does make big power once they light.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Lol yeah that wouldnt go over well :roflmao:. Thank you for the post though russ in all seriousness, nice to see an honest description on what you like and dont like

wanted to lay it out there as I didn't really have a good idea of what to expect with this combo. I had a good idea of how a stock/475 performed before doing my 366/480. a stock/475 is a great package for someone looking for more power, cooler temps and still have quick responsiveness.

Should have just proceeded with Everett building my stock/475 kit as we originally planned!!

Josh may be able to get more out of the responsiveness if he had the truck in his hands to drive and tune. he really has done a great job with it through logs and conversation.

The biggest thing is mentally adapting to the different driving style. Best way to describe it is from a stop light, you ease into the throttle till you get a little boost and heat built up and you can continue to roll into it and accelerate. That's basically smoke free and you can roll in heavy after you build just a little boost/heat. same style with the trailer, handles it beautifully if you just give it a second to get on top of the chargers.

If you stab it heavy from a stand still its going to smoke like a race dodge! lol :roflmao: Just ease into it for just a second and all is good! or you can brake boost in 4wd and leave like a mad man, but my wife prefers I ease into it! :angel: