MPI Twin Owners, Come in!

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I BUILT MY OWN TWINS FOR LIKE $1600 BUCKS- IT CAN BE HAD FOR MUCH CHEAPER THAN 5 GRAND:eek:I USED A S472 WITH THE JOHN DEERE RACE COVER AND THE STOCK IHI. I ALSO UPGRADED THE 72 INTO AN 80 FOR $200 MORE.

How about posting up some pictures of you set of twins, I sure everyone would be courious to see them.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
what do you guys think about relocating both batteries to the back of the bed for weight transfer , i dont know if 4wd trucks like weight to be transfered to the bed or not i know 2wd's do i would run 2 battery boxes bolted to the floor of the bed . figured i have to relocate 1 for the twins any way why not do a good setup to maximize the weight ratio of the truck , clean up the engine bay and maybe get some traction too .

I had my second battery on my LB7 in the bed in a water proof box. I had a slider cover on the bed that would lock so I didn't worry about it being stolen by the casual thief. Not sure the weight transfer made any difference, didn't go anywhere unless you were in 4 wheel drive anyway.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Not really. A larger aspect ratio would be useful if he were starting to run it off the map.

I thought that was his problem??? Sorry if im mistaken. I thought I read that he was overspeeding the top charger before the GT55 made any boost.

In post #73 pat stated "my biggest concern is overspeeding the small charger"

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I thought that was his problem??? Sorry if im mistaken. I thought I read that he was overspeeding the top charger before the GT55 made any boost.

Just have a sensor on the little one. That means it's running at about 1.7 PR and in the center island of it's map, or most efficient area.

I highly doubt either charger is even close to overspinning at 40psi. I belive Pat said the 42 was spinning at 60k.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I was not talking about making 40 psi I was talking about him trying to make big HP, since I was referring to post 73 I should have quoted that one.:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I was not talking about making 40 psi I was talking about him trying to make big HP, since I was referring to post 73 I should have quoted that one.:rolleyes:.

OK understandable. IMO, now this is just a guess but I don't think housings will do enough if he does overspin it. A gate would be the correct solution. Even if a larger housing fixes the problem it can cause the turbo to be laggy on the bottom end. A tighter housing will help spooling and the gate will give you the top end of a large housing.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Just got home from a week with Rob and Nathan, the big LB7-LLY set up look awesome, you boys and girls will be very happy. :rockon: I'm waiting like everyone else cuz Nathan has to finish these before he can work on the really big twins for the race truck. I've had/have both LB7 and LBZ twins using the stock turbos. Both kits work great, the mechanical waste gate on the stocker LB7 was not easy to tweak, lost a good pair of jeans and almost my boys :eek:adjusting it on the side of I-5 on the way to the BD Dyno day a couple of years ago. The new set up is great, and Rob really knows how to tune the twins. Drive pressure stays close to boost after the inital spool up and EGT's stay well in the safe zone. I drive the same tune I race with, Rob calls it a hot street tune. It's very consistent, and very quick to spool, I keep my boost around 45psi. If I drive 65 or slower on cruise control I can get 22mph. Winter fuel and around town closer to 17. Rob says it's high 500's RWHP, I have never dynoed it. ET's and MPH in the quarter would suggest that is correct.

I'd like to see a $1600 set of twins, for the do-it-yourselfer that sounds great. I can't weld, don't know crap about turbos so it's not an option for me. I know if you like a high performance truck, low EGT's, Incredible steet manners, a beautiful engine bay, you can't go wrong with Nathan's set up. Like I said, you big boost boys are really going to like what he as done to the big boost sets.;)

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
agreed, a wastegate is the best solution, but a housing could help slow the top charger and still route maximal energy to the bottom chargers exhaust housing.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
thanks for the update subman i cant wait :D shouldnt be more than a week or two for me you didnt happen to get a test ride in nathans truck hes fitting them on did ya ? i am really curious how the kit drives/ performs .

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
i told my wife i am going with twins so she will still ba able to drive my truck :) not like she drives it now as it is any ways. i cant wait to get started with my build should make for a fun truck.

BLACKLBZ

Speed Junkie
Dec 6, 2008
Cincinnati
I should have my truck finished tonight!!!! The kit looks very nice, Thanks goes out to Steve, Rob, and Nathan for all your help.