Modied 4094

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
I should be lol. Been spending some much needed quality time with the wife and kids. Still siting at 20 miles lol. Headed home to get it now though.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
X3 on it being a journal bearing turbo. Its just good practice to be easy on them for a little bit; what I'm referring to is not doing any WOT runs right after you put it on, haha.

It was nice talking about the turbo Kevin but said to hear about the tranny issues. I'm very excited to hear it spools really well/similar to stock and breaks the tires loose in 2nd-3rd gear when you give her some gas. I'm sure you're done with having tranny issues!!:mad:

Yellowchevy

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Yeah she was running like a raped ape for a lil but. I believe it may be the p2 that let loose. I'll know once I get it pulled. But yes sir impressed sith the turbo!

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
I have to say.... I met Russell online a long long time ago... he told me when he lived in Canada that he was going to start doing this kind of work. We talked about a lot of ideas. Got to know him through many long phone calls. Good man. Glad to see you finally doing what you wanted to! I am just now finally coming out of my diesel exile... Drove my truck for the first time in almost 2 years as of yesterday... felt great.. i missed it a lot... I have a stock turbo in the garage im going to play with. I have zero cash to spend but a lot of time and a mill to play with! so im sure ill be calling russell when i screw it up!! Great work man!! very very happy to get on here after all this time and see you doing well man!!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Do you have a chance to take a couple pics of the down pipe Installed? Mostly want to see how it hooks up to the exhaust.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
I will when I can get over to do it. It is actually 2 piece and you trim it to fit. The part shown in the pictures he posted and another section with a 90 in it. You cut your reducer off your existing lead pipe, cut the 90 to fit then clamp it all together. Very easy to do and took about an hour, 30 mins of that was fighting to get the lead pipe off the truck.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I will when I can get over to do it. It is actually 2 piece and you trim it to fit. The part shown in the pictures he posted and another section with a 90 in it. You cut your reducer off your existing lead pipe, cut the 90 to fit then clamp it all together. Very easy to do and took about an hour, 30 mins of that was fighting to get the lead pipe off the truck.

Thank ya! I figured that's what it was but I wasn't 100% sure. Me and Russell are cooking something up

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Thank ya! I figured that's what it was but I wasn't 100% sure. Me and Russell are cooking something up

Be very careful.... that sounds like a steep slippery slope with a bad ending lol. Hahaha seriously though I thought the hx40 would be a pain to deal with but it actually wasn't bad at all. It actually went in very easy. I did have to slightly flatten, and I mean very slightly, the dp where it passed by the up pipe to get it to mate to the turbo. I am running ppe manifolds and their up pipes with Levis blanket so that doesn't help the tight fit. He is making the snout a little longer on the housing to cure this. There is plenty of room between the back of the turbo and the fire wall.

You will probably have to invest in a drivers side trans dip stick. I made my passenger side work but it's not to my liking and I will install a drivers side once I get the trans sorted out.

All in all I believe it's worth the investment. I mean why do a 4" or larger exhaust and all these up grades to improve flow and leave the choked down 2 3/4 housing outlet. Just my opinion though.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Be very careful.... that sounds like a steep slippery slope with a bad ending lol. Hahaha seriously though I thought the hx40 would be a pain to deal with but it actually wasn't bad at all. It actually went in very easy. I did have to slightly flatten, and I mean very slightly, the dp where it passed by the up pipe to get it to mate to the turbo. I am running ppe manifolds and their up pipes with Levis blanket so that doesn't help the tight fit. He is making the snout a little longer on the housing to cure this. There is plenty of room between the back of the turbo and the fire wall.

You will probably have to invest in a drivers side trans dip stick. I made my passenger side work but it's not to my liking and I will install a drivers side once I get the trans sorted out.

All in all I believe it's worth the investment. I mean why do a 4" or larger exhaust and all these up grades to improve flow and leave the choked down 2 3/4 housing outlet. Just my opinion though.

Well I've got a manual trans so no dipstick for me

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
This damned p2s I just destroyed one recently myself and a input shaft
I should have replaced it when I had it out. Better yet I should have just sent the damn thing to Evan and let him work his magic. I'd been ridding a month ago. But noooo, mister "I can do it" had to do it himself......... lol ok I'm done ranting.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I should have replaced it when I had it out. Better yet I should have just sent the damn thing to Evan and let him work his magic. I'd been ridding a month ago. But noooo, mister "I can do it" had to do it himself......... lol ok I'm done ranting.

Thats what happens when you're a stubborn boilermaker!!!:D:hug:

Yellowchevy:hug:

Last edited:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I have to say.... I met Russell online a long long time ago... he told me when he lived in Canada that he was going to start doing this kind of work. We talked about a lot of ideas. Got to know him through many long phone calls. Good man. Glad to see you finally doing what you wanted to! I am just now finally coming out of my diesel exile... Drove my truck for the first time in almost 2 years as of yesterday... felt great.. i missed it a lot... I have a stock turbo in the garage im going to play with. I have zero cash to spend but a lot of time and a mill to play with! so im sure ill be calling russell when i screw it up!! Great work man!! very very happy to get on here after all this time and see you doing well man!!

Thanks for the kind words Cory :thumb::thumb: It's about time you got that thing running again.
I'm sure you won't screw it up, unless you have Scott help you!!:roflmao:

Yellowchevy

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Update: Don't have time to wrench on it anymore (took too much time off already) so I sent it up to Tony Rizzi in Washington Ga, originally wanted to send it to Evan but he's swamped anyway. He just got back with me. Trans stripped the hub and planet then spit metal fragments so the planet gears on the p2 chewed them up. The c4 is also toast, clutches were glazed. Waiting on billet parts and sungear to show up.

Still unsure as to what made it shift so hard but spinning in 4th when I eased into it then catching traction didn't help the situation. He hasn't broke the vb down yet so maybe a stuck valve?

Last edited:

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Update:
Picked the truck up today and have since put about 300 miles on it. My impression so far.

Performance. Overall it performs well. It lights fast but doesn't fall on its face like the stocker. It maxed out my insight fairly quick at 35psi and held it strong. Drivability is almost identical to the stocker except I don't feel like I have to stay on top of it as much as the stocker. Pretty much hit it and it comes alive.

EGTs. They stayed lower than factory and dropped super fast once I let out. I mean 1500 wide open to 500 almost instantly. I think the down pipe and port has helped alot there. Wot on my kill tune nets 1500 to 1550 on flat grade at the end of the 1/4 mile pull. Stays around 1450 then creeps up to that. Highway driving at 75 to 80 pulling long grades I hit 1000 to 1100 TOPS is my 4 tune. Usually stays around 600ish driving around the flat grades.

Sound. It sounds awesome! Several truckers gave me a thumbs up when I passed them on the interstate. I definitely noticed alot more looks than I have ever gotten in it. It screams under boost. At idle it has a low whistle tone like that of a old fueled up big rig. Buzzing through town it's a distinct sound and yes I roll the windows down so when I pass by buildings I hear it lol.

All that being said I think it's an awesome replacement for a drop in (kinda) turbo. I also believe it would make a great valley on a twin setup. I'm not sure how long I will keep it yet before trying a s468 or s472 but it's been a blast so far. And on a side not I was worried about my 1058 being too tight to stay on top but it's a great combination so far.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Missed this Kevin!!
It sounds like it's working fairly well and has similar driving manners to your stock turbo. I was expecting it to be fairly doggy due to the larger comp wheel but your 100 over injectors help light it I'm sure.

Really glad to hear you got the pickup back and can enjoy it now. Put some miles on it and get a good feel for your new motor, tranny, and turbo!!!:woott::thumb:

Yellowchevy