Mod to turbo intake horn

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Just what we need. We need some trucks with a stock BIG tune program do some dynos too. Then they need to add the moded intake horn and a moded reg for the LB7, and redyno. This could make things interesting for the stock looking LB7 Dmax crowd. We would need a few different flavors as well. Maybe one with even a moded down pipe? (TheBac)

Last edited:

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Just what we need. We need some trucks with a stock BIG tune program do some dynos too. Then they need to add the moded intake horn and a moded reg for the LB7, and redyno. This could make things interesting for the stock looking LB7 Dmax crowd. We would need a few different flavors as well. Maybe one with even a moded down pipe? (TheBac)

this would be awesome i wish i had a dyno around here though:(

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
just what we need. We need some trucks with a stock big tune program do some dynos too. Then they need to add the moded intake horn and a moded reg for the lb7, and redyno. This could make things interesting for the stock looking lb7 dmax crowd. We would need a few different flavors as well. Maybe one with even a moded down pipe? (thebac)

how about someone with twins?:d

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I was already planning on dyno'ing end of this month at Baker.
I promised Nick I would get him some numbers on his race tune. Was already planning on buying an hour of dyno time, so it should work out ok. Is it easier to replace the CP3 regulator with the turbo horn out of the way? I could do a stock run, then shut her down and replace both at the same time.
Also need to ask Baker if they'll allow for parts to be replaced to do back-to-back runs.

As for the downpipe.....Im now taking a "wait and see" attitude on that. I've got some ideas cooking, just have to figure out what to do.
I could go back and dyno the entire setup later if we ever change the exhaust side.

Do you think 600rwhp is possible with a stock turbo? Wouldnt that be crazy?

Last edited:

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
i think 600hp would be very hard to get with a stock turbo but not saying that it couldnt be done, maybe if the stars align :D but yes that would be awesome

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
600rwhp? I'm not sure about that one with an Allison (6 speed man. are easier because of much less drive loss). The down pipe at the flange (the one coming off the turbo) is the worst area of the exhaust. It's about an 1/8" larger than the turbo outlet. This, I would like to see fixed at a min to keep EGTs down on such an attempt (BD driver side maifold would help too but not absolutely needed). Second, the intake horn mod, moded regulator, shimmed up FPRV. and a moded CP3 suction pump (the ribbed one mounted to the back of the CP3). A good lift pump and some opened up rail feed ports. One last thing. A removed IAH from the intake tube. I think this would be about the most that could be done to a stocker to retain the totally stock look and get a high dyno #. This would of course not be mod stock now, wouldn't having moded stock parts be basicly stock? Just maximized stock parts? This would no doubt be the max available at this time for a stock LB7 Dmax. And it would be so cool to know it was done realisticly and that's the capabilities. I will help with the moded reg and suction pump if any is available for this quest for those willing to try. We will need accurate data collection for this too.

Also, becareful. A compression check needs to be done (about $35-$50 for compression tester) before the big power quest and after to make sure nothing was harmed, if going to or above 575hp or 1100fpt. We need info on this too.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I have just about all the mods and then some!, you stated:D Except a slipping ally:(
Like 03 said, if he stars align??? I bet I could get that 600hp mark with the M/W injection goin (granted transmission) ! Now ya thats using "drugs", IMO meth/water just dosnt seem like a drug:rofl: but none the less...

Tom, have someone with a bottle of nitrous or CO2 fog the hell outta the intercooler before and during the run! Gettin 600hp worth of fuel isnt too much issue, its that damn turbo! If we max out everything turbo assosiated, i think ya can get her there!

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
i could do before and after dyno tests, but i would have to replace me injectors first.

michael would you need the core back asap?

ASAP is needed. However if a dyno was pending, and comparison was on the line, then this would be an ASAP situation. Finish what you need to do first. The findings are needed. Even a baby steps dyno comparison is good, meaning, premoded intake and moded intake. Later could be moded intake premoded regulator, and moded intake w/moded regulator, and so on and so forth and such.

Last edited:

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
my pump is good, but i need injectors. i would like to get them fixed dyno it and then swap horns and dyno it again see what that does, or even try it at the track. but lots of stuff happening in the next month weekends will be booked.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wow. Not my intention to start a shitstorm over the possibilities. Guess there's quite a few LB7 guys who are in the same performance boat I am? Dont want to be stock, but cant quite step thru that next perf door (rods, pistons, turbo, studs, etc) yet.

Last edited:

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
Wow. Not my intention to start a shitstorm over the possibilities. Guess there's quite a few LB7 guys who are in the same performance boat I am? Dont want to be stock, but cant quite step thru that next perf door (rods, pistons, turbo, studs, etc) yet.

fasted stock lookin truck is what im goin for here.

i want to hit 12's with the stock turbo, and the engine lookin as stock as possible

Last edited:

Blueox03

Aug 12, 2006
Jackson County, MS
Michael, If you can get one to me by Thursday, I'll do a dyno comparison at Suncoast...

From what I hear JK is claiming this and BD manifolds are snake oil over on the place....

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Michael, If you can get one to me by Thursday, I'll do a dyno comparison at Suncoast...

From what I hear JK is claiming this and BD manifolds are snake oil over on the place....

Even if it gains only 10rwhp its still worth the effort. A bunch of little gains will do the same thing as one dramatic gain. Thats the point.

I found the thread you're talking about. INAspaceman set JK right in his place. Theres an alterior motive to threads like that. Quit letting guys who bitch about such things bother you so damn much. Closed minded people are the ones who hurt the sport.

Last edited:

Blueox03

Aug 12, 2006
Jackson County, MS
Even if it gains only 10rwhp its still worth the effort. A bunch of little gains will do the same thing as one dramatic gain. Thats the point.

I found the thread you're talking about. INAspaceman set JK right in his place. Theres an alterior motive to threads like that. Quit letting guys who bitch about such things bother you so damn much. Closed minded people are the ones who hurt the sport.

I agree...dimes add up to dollars....I need to set a new IP or get unbanned so I can see this stuff instead of hear it second hand....

Killerbee

Got Honey?

His mother left him at the mall alone when he was six.

diamondshocks

crash skippy racing
Feb 15, 2009
Fargo, NS
www.diamondshocks.com
hey guy did this mod iwth huge success today. spools up 150RPM's sooner, boost is 2-5 PSI higher at same RPM's all the way up deppending on tune, much smoother power transition with no surge like before, way more whistle.

Attachments

• 368516079_1270661144_0.jpg
    368516079_1270661144_0.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 368515811_1270660162_0.jpg
    368515811_1270660162_0.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 368515402_1270658658_0.jpg
    368515402_1270658658_0.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 100