LML build finally runs.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
i am running cut lml pistons and they are lighter than the others, so I think this would contribute to not bending rods as earlier engines. Off the top of my head, i think mine pistons weighed around 650 grams.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
This might be a good modest build for people, too bad there wasn't much feedback on it

It would be nice to have more feedback on the LML internals however, I think it's wishful thinking on our part to expect something better.

For the price, it's a cheap way to rebuild

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No idea but a buddy of mine is currently building his LLY with LML rods, delipped stock LLY pistons, and so on. hes waiting on the second gen LML rod bearings to come in to finish it. i think hes going to twin over his stock charger but not sure yet.

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The general consensus was that they were supposed to be....but after people actually testing them at those levels they proved to be about the same as lbz rods

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The thing is if you want to make bigger power and plan to tear into the motor you mise well do it right once, because if you have to tear into it again you will end up paying more than whatever you might of saved doing a budget built motor

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
I daily drive my truck, I put on 105kms a day. I want something reliable, but keep the cost down, this looked like a good route to go, but its starting to sound like its not. :(

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I daily drive my truck, I put on 105kms a day. I want something reliable, but keep the cost down, this looked like a good route to go, but its starting to sound like its not. :(

I was in the same boat as you, that's why I didn't put a cheap rod in. I didn't want to have that as a worry. My only worry now is egt's when towing

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I've posted this picture in just about every "lml bottom end" thread. Mid 700 horse lml...bent all 8 rods..most pistons hit the crank and broke too.

Build it right the first time. For average Joe there is to much time and money tied up in an engine to "test" something or use a product that has not been proven yet. For example there has been quite a few threads pop up with new rod manufacturers hitting the market, offering an "affordable" rod...only to initially save you maybe $300...

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Now the debate of how strong are lml pistons?? If it is a very cheap alternative to lb7 pistons at a fraction of the cost, it would probably be worth it to alot of guys to have a set of corrillos machined to fit an lml piston if you can snag a brand new set for $25 a piece and they will do what an lb7 piston will do. But then we get back into the whole "hasn't really been proven" debate.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
that's what I wanted to see. no one has really posted up hard evidence of how they hold up. guess carillos it is. my thought is there still oem rods how strong can they really be. :confused: and now you just showed me!!

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I still think there is more to that story on the LML pictures that were posted. That's some crazy bends! I bet it was making more than 700hp

but either way, if you want it to live under big power there is no cutting corners. :thumb: