L5P L5P Tuning

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
Looks like he already offers soft tuning and switch already.

Because SOTF is nothing more than an electronic throttle stop that taps into a sensor circuit that he can use as a fuel limiter based on voltage. It is nothing at all like DSP5 from EFI Live where there are actually separate tables for all of the key things in the tuning to completely change how the truck runs at any and all throttle positions. Hell, if you know what the limiting table in the stock tune looks like for the sensor you at tapping into you can set up a switch with resistors to hit voltage set points and limit fuel to what you want, even on a stock tune.

:secret:

Let's just say that something better than that FAKE switchable is coming soon.... Because with these fuel temp limit styles, you might as well just run a single tune. :roflmao:

:popcorn:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ok guys. The DSP discussion seemed to be taking over this thread. I know we're pretty liberal with thread derails here, but the L5P tuning is new enough that it doesn't derve such a massive derail on an active thread. In the interest of keeping the discussion a little more on topic, I moved all the DSP stuff to a new thread. Please see the post here. Carry on!

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
So if the ez link can flash a factory tune into the ecm why does hp tuners need to modify the ecm to accept their tune? Is this like needing an unlock tool for the 13+ Cummins and years later Efi LIVE finally decided they can do it without it?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So if the ez link can flash a factory tune into the ecm why does hp tuners need to modify the ecm to accept their tune? Is this like needing an unlock tool for the 13+ Cummins and years later Efi LIVE finally decided they can do it without it?

I'm going to guess it has something to do with security protocols and code verifications before the ECM will accept a flash. From what I understand, once the ECM is unlocked by HPTuners, the factory equipment can no longer flash it.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I'm going to guess it has something to do with security protocols and code verifications before the ECM will accept a flash. From what I understand, once the ECM is unlocked by HPTuners, the factory equipment can no longer flash it.

So then I wonder if gm can even hook to it and tell if it’s been flashed, of course if not than they would suspect something is up. But can they void your warranty if they can’t pull the codes off of it.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master

The factory ECU Chip is being replaced with a NON GM Controlled chip.

That is part of the reason why the cost is so high for the unlock, IIRC is a 516 PIN EEPROM that is bedded in a hard epoxy like coating, the removal process requires heating it and carefully removing the factory chip without damaging the rest of the ecm and the board, then resoldering a replacement chip.

No JTAG or BOOT Method is possible from GM with this ECU, so once HP Tuners has their own chip on the ecm they shut the door on GM and everyone else................:roflmao:

So that is the current process for this ECU, if someone figures out a way to undo HP Tuners control and then flash it with a process they control then see the fireworks begin.

Last edited:

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
The factory ECU Chip is being replaced with a NON GM Controlled chip.

That is part of the reason why the cost is so high for he unlock, IIRC is a 516 PIN EEPROM that is bedded in a hard epoxy like coating, the removal process requires heating it and carefully removing the factory chip without damaging the rest of the ecm and the board, then resoldering a replacement chip.

No JTAG or BOOT Method is possible from GM with this ECU, so once HP Tuners has their own chip on the ecm they shut the door on GM and everyone else................:roflmao:

Hmmm, that has some ramifications? So who's diagnostic software / hardware will be used?

How can Mike L yell at guys for not reading trans codes with a TECH II, if the door is shut? (On these 2018 and newer trucks will a TECH II even still work, or are they MDI only?)

Or is the plan to put the factory ECM back in whenever diagnostics need to be performed?

Maybe HP tuners has all the same diagnostic abilities a TECH II or GM MDI does?

I sure they have thought of all this, just curious how they plan to do it.

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
Hmmm, that has some ramifications? So who's diagnostic software / hardware will be used?

How can Mike L yell at guys for not reading trans codes with a TECH II, if the door is shut? (On these 2018 and newer trucks will a TECH II even still work, or are they MDI only?)

Or is the plan to put the factory ECM back in whenever diagnostics need to be performed?

Maybe HP tuners has all the same diagnostic abilities a TECH II or GM MDI does?

I sure they have thought of all this, just curious how they plan to do it.

He was close. But not quite.

TIS/GM/dealer flash won't work.

Everything else is a go

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So who's software/firmware is loaded on the new chip? I suspect it is a bootleg GM L5P. I couldn't imagine that HP tuning built one from scratch and managed to get it to talk with all of the other modules in the truck

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So who's software/firmware is loaded on the new chip? I suspect it is a bootleg GM L5P. I couldn't imagine that HP tuning built one from scratch and managed to get it to talk with all of the other modules in the truck

It's probably running GM's stock programming. I could be wrong and these processors could be different, but think of your home PC - your OS, apps and files don't live on the CPU - they are on your HDD/SSD. The CPU just processes the data and makes it all work. The older LS1 PCMs stored their programming on a small flash chip that has no processing capabilities. The CPUs on the new ECMs may have flash memory onboard, but in the end, it's a CPU. My guess is they are replacing it because the 'feature' that does the signature verification (which is what is the tuning 'speedbump') is a part of the CPU that can't be 'turned off' (once it's on, it's on, or the CPUs are made either with it or without it), so they're replacing the CPU with one that doesn't have the 'feature' enabled. As for why GM's tools would no longer be able to flash the ECM, my guess is the flash process is looking for that signature verification, and if it doesn't get it because it's not enabled in the CPU, it'll fail.

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree with Cougar281. My only thought is the new CPU just has a different key loaded, and verifies a different signature. So HPT puts a new CPU on, and signs the stock program with their key, which the new CPU accepts. That would also explain why it won't accept a reflash from GM, since it no longer honors the GM key.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I agree with Cougar281. My only thought is the new CPU just has a different key loaded, and verifies a different signature. So HPT puts a new CPU on, and signs the stock program with their key, which the new CPU accepts. That would also explain why it won't accept a reflash from GM, since it no longer honors the GM key.

That's a possibility too. Hadn't really thought of that one, but that could explain why it can only be tuned by HPT.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
They changed the lock on the door...........locked GM and everyone out, its the same as GM did, kinda funny in a way............there had to be some kind of info gotten from GM IMHO on how to change the lock.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I guess the fact that no reverse engineering of GM's key was done it is as simple as changing the lock but leaving the contents the same..........that is where it gets sticky...........but we can leave that to the lawyers and courts to figure out, if it goes there...............:eek: