L5P L5P Tuning

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
They changed the lock on the door...........locked GM and everyone out, its the same as GM did, kinda funny in a way............there had to be some kind of info gotten from GM IMHO on how to change the lock.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I guess the fact that no reverse engineering of GM's key was done it is as simple as changing the lock but leaving the contents the same..........that is where it gets sticky...........but we can leave that to the lawyers and courts to figure out, if it goes there...............:eek:

Its not any different than any of the DSP or CSP tunes that EFILive claims as theirs yet it's 99.99% OEM Code. And no info is needed from GM. Just an understanding of how processors work. Just think LB7 & LLY locking. No real need to over complicate it.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Its not any different than any of the DSP or CSP tunes that EFILive claims as theirs yet it's 99.99% OEM Code. And no info is needed from GM. Just an understanding of how processors work. Just think LB7 & LLY locking. No real need to over complicate it.

I would argue that is not AT ALL the case - the older ECMs - LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM and probably even LML, would generally accept whatever you tried to flash them (within reason), even if it had issues which caused it to brick - what has been done here is different. With previous generations, all tuning was done on a GM OS. With the DSP & CSP, yes, it was largely a GM (or Cummins) OS that was modified to accept multiple tunes based on specific inputs. But in the end, it was not corrupted and acceptable for the processor, so it ran. With the L5P, the same *could* apply, *except* for the signature verification part. I won't claim to know EXACTLY how it works - whether it's part of the CPU, the flash memory, or some combination, but the fact that they are replacing the CPU suggests that it's part of the CPU.

That being said, what Dave and Tony said makes total sense. They could have replaced the CPU with one that had no keys to the door - but that would have allowed other companies like EFILive to tune any ECM that they unlocked - In my opinion, I think that's a bit overboard, since at this point, they're charging a nice chunk to unlock, but whatever - point being, all they appear to have have done is changed the lock on the door (While I hadn't thought of this, I met Tony a number of years ago, and IMO, he is and was a straight shooter, so if he says that IS what they did, I personally have no reason to doubt him), not what is behind it any more than was the case for non-DSP or CSP OSes from EFILive - where all we did was read what was in the ECM, make changes and flash it back. In the end, I strongly suspect that the HPT L5P tuning is no different from HPT or EFI tuning of LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM and even to a degree, LML tuning, (except for the DSP OSes), with the only exception being the signature verification (keys), which they have changed in their modded processors.

To break it down to the most basic level, it's no different than EFILive's ability to lock ECMs by changing it's seed/key pair which prevents reads and writes (except for the newer ECMs like the LBZ, LMM and maybe LML that allow writes but not reads, however that works). Just a different mechanism is used.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master

My understanding of the process is the lock could not be picked from GM, the method was essentially unbreakable, so instead of trying to pick a lock they replaced the lock...........:thumb:

I do agree that EFI-Live does change the seed key pair for LB7 and LLY and they do change things with respect to the "PATCH" they apply to prevent LBZ/LMM and Cummins Reading of the ecm via OBD.

But GM did not implement a SHA Hash and lock out the boot pin on the previous model ecms, so they probably were not worried about it too much.

I know why they did what they did with respect to the SHA and the method, due to vehicle WIFI and the nanny state controls for crash avoidance measures, drive by wire, as well as autonomous braking and steering by the vehicle its got to be locked down hard.

My new 2019 has a teen mode and a valet mode I can set, so the ecm and the code is pretty advanced, I can assume if you can hack/reverse that method you might be able to employ a factory DSP3 with the tables and code that exists...........;)

I have my spare ecm and tcm sitting here with a new 2019 with 639 miles on it........I will dig into this soon enough.

But I still think GM is not going to sit by on this one........hoping they don't care, but ya never know what they are going to do........:(

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Has anyone on here done exhaust on one yet? I'm curious on how hard the cat is to squeeze out? Will be interesting to see how much it will actually cost to do a full delete.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I remember reading some where on a post from Kory that the turbo needs to be removed to get the cat out.

Also, when using the HP tuners software. Are tuners able to lock there files? Kory just posted up something on Facebook stating if anybody steals his files, he will be able to trace them rather quickly.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I remember reading some where on a post from Kory that the turbo needs to be removed to get the cat out.

Also, when using the HP tuners software. Are tuners able to lock there files? Kory just posted up something on Facebook stating if anybody steals his files, he will be able to trace them rather quickly.

Isn't that like calling the cops when someone steels your drugs? Lol

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Korys Post from today. Sounds like someone already has something.

L5P stuff is ready to rock out to the public. Shipped some orders today! I am not sending out toooo much right before SEMA, but there are going to be some wicked L5Ps rocking some sweet PPEI tuning!!!!! The files freaking run amazing... by far best work yet.

**PUBLIC "TUNER" WARNING**
I know who those are running and selling our stolen base files on earlier models...I fact check everyone and everything... It is how the industry works. These L5P files have more potty stains in them than I can count and I put them together in such a way that it will be VERY obvious when they are stolen - if they ever are. Be noted - anyone that jacks these files I will do all I can to expose everything I possibly can of you from beginning to end. I have TONS of time and money in this platform and I will go to the full extent to make it known not to take our stuff without serious repercussions and damage to a reputation. This will be the only time I talk about it and now we can all go enjoy our happy lives! :)

Rock on folks!

P.S. ** - Anyone waiting on me for things... I'll have ya filled early AM!

Photo: Sal Pietrandrea (Your ECU shipped today :) )

#PPEI #PSA

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Korys Post from today. Sounds like someone already has something.

L5P stuff is ready to rock out to the public. Shipped some orders today! I am not sending out toooo much right before SEMA, but there are going to be some wicked L5Ps rocking some sweet PPEI tuning!!!!! The files freaking run amazing... by far best work yet.

**PUBLIC "TUNER" WARNING**
I know who those are running and selling our stolen base files on earlier models...I fact check everyone and everything... It is how the industry works. These L5P files have more potty stains in them than I can count and I put them together in such a way that it will be VERY obvious when they are stolen - if they ever are. Be noted - anyone that jacks these files I will do all I can to expose everything I possibly can of you from beginning to end. I have TONS of time and money in this platform and I will go to the full extent to make it known not to take our stuff without serious repercussions and damage to a reputation. This will be the only time I talk about it and now we can all go enjoy our happy lives! :)

Rock on folks!

P.S. ** - Anyone waiting on me for things... I'll have ya filled early AM!

Photo: Sal Pietrandrea (Your ECU shipped today :) )

#PPEI #PSA

Ahhh. Coming from the guy who stole the trans tuning from spartan. Lol

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I keep seeing that pop up. I just don't know where the info of that actually happening is.

Snipesy

Mar 5, 2016
Ah yes. Tuning. The only industry based on stealing other people's work. And then calling out the people that steal other people's work. Rinse repeat lets do it again. :confused:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Lol.. very funny and well stated...

Why us old hackers just tagged things with, FIRST !! Saved all the crying down the road.

Maybe he's inserting his phone number into a torque table as a watermark. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Well looks like things remain in a grey area. No full exemption was granted today for onboard ECU hacking. IE: still can't reflash your radio.. lol

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/...a-section-1201-are-welcome-dont-go-far-enough

EFF proposed to expand the exemption for vehicle maintenance and repair to cover all devices that contain software, and to cover legal modification and tinkering that goes beyond repair. We cited a broad range of examples where Section 1201 interfered with people’s use of their own digital devices. But the Office expanded the exemption only to “smartphone,” “home appliance,” and “home system, such as a refrigerator, thermostat, HVAC or electrical system.”

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I doubt it. Once you amertise in costs with loss of warranty it's retarded to even consider it...

Couldnt be more wrong people are lined up waiting for it. Just did a trans for a tuned L5P. Most people who can afford an L5P can afford to fix it. No ones even balked at the tuning price they just want it. I’m getting calls almost daily for people ready to build their trans to hold the tuning and just had another website order for tuning Friday so...with the money everyone spends on these trucks on performance parts it might be a lot for some people but $5000 isn’t really much money at all to most of them.

Last edited: