L5P L5P Tuning

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I thought kidturbo said he had seen an l5p in person running in something, but it was running on a bosch e35a ecm.

Yes I've seen it done in a stand alone format, but haven't personally looked into it any further. I think the turbo control is slightly different, but all the other important sensors like crank/cam and FP related are SSDD far as I can tell.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I heard there are lawsuites in the air.

;)
That wouldn’t surprise me

There are many legal issues with that unlocking process, as in swapping the ecu processor.

Its not illegal to swap the processor, what is most likely going to be the issue is what are they programming back onto the processor ??

If you think in simpler terms as an example, it would be like purchasing a bootleg download of all songs on an album, and then burning that download to another device, but either adding a few words to one song or removing a few words to a song.............its not a new song or new album.

So as Mike stated, who will be in legal trouble ??

I am going to sit on the sidelines and see where this goes, this is quite different than any other process in place for tuning, its not like GM is going to be happy and if the new processor runs their code I am not sure how GM is going to defend that in court as its probably not legal what is being done due to intellectual property rights.

I could be wrong, but nobody has the money or lawyers GM has, so they can bury you with not much effort.

I am happy they are tunable, but I fear the process will be under intense scrutiny, I hope I am wrong, but for now the water isn't safe to dive into, too many things lurking to dive into that mess right now.

:eek:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
As long as they don’t sell it or share it, whoever alters the ecm physically, programs it with different settings, paints flames on it, whatever it’s their choice and hardly see them being sued and it holding up in court for doing so.

I don’t recall signing anything when I bought my truck or any parts that says I promise not to alter it or them in any way.

Once they start selling these changes though, the game changes a bit......

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
;)

There are many legal issues with that unlocking process, as in swapping the ecu processor.

Its not illegal to swap the processor, what is most likely going to be the issue is what are they programming back onto the processor ??

If you think in simpler terms as an example, it would be like purchasing a bootleg download of all songs on an album, and then burning that download to another device, but either adding a few words to one song or removing a few words to a song.............its not a new song or new album.

So as Mike stated, who will be in legal trouble ??

I am going to sit on the sidelines and see where this goes, this is quite different than any other process in place for tuning, its not like GM is going to be happy and if the new processor runs their code I am not sure how GM is going to defend that in court as its probably not legal what is being done due to intellectual property rights.

I could be wrong, but nobody has the money or lawyers GM has, so they can bury you with not much effort.

I am happy they are tunable, but I fear the process will be under intense scrutiny, I hope I am wrong, but for now the water isn't safe to dive into, too many things lurking to dive into that mess right now.

:eek:

Everyone said no one had the money or lawyers to push back at the EPA and that’s been proven wrong more then once now. On that note though for guys that actually don’t I’ve been hearing weekly of even smaller name tuners getting visits and decent sized fines so hopefully all of you have decent lawyers anyway :)

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Lets look at the big picture. How many people are actually deleting these trucks? Maybe 2% at the vary most. I doubt GM is worried about it. Especially when people are voiding the warranty. People are even thinking this way to much.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Lets look at the big picture. How many people are actually deleting these trucks? Maybe 2% at the vary most. I doubt GM is worried about it. Especially when people are voiding the warranty. People are even thinking this way to much.

Way more than 2% once out of warranty. I know of entire fleets that are deleted, these are nation wide companies...

Hell, the city busses here are deleted...

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Everyone said no one had the money or lawyers to push back at the EPA and that’s been proven wrong more then once now. On that note though for guys that actually don’t I’ve been hearing weekly of even smaller name tuners getting visits and decent sized fines so hopefully all of you have decent lawyers anyway :)

Its the way things are.

Nobody can predict what is or is not going to happen, some may be assured there is no problem, while others are told there are some problems.

At the end of the day its good news that they are finally tunable, it will depend on what GM decides to do, my guess is they may not even care or they may be very upset especially if FORD and DODGE we going to go down the same path, this may be something they take serious, and again they might care less knowing its good for sales.

:thumb:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
l5p tuning means more sales of new trucks, IMHO. GM should STFU and smile. They did all they could to protect the terrible hackers from shitting on their emissions compliance :D The EPA is the real threat.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They may not care all that much. They may have put this in it just to please the EPA. Just to say they did all they can to stop it. In the end if it helps with sales at the same time reducing warranty claims they should happy.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Way more than 2% once out of warranty. I know of entire fleets that are deleted, these are nation wide companies...

Hell, the city busses here are deleted...

A lot of my fleet companies delete their trucks as soon as they start having emissions issues. Pretty common process around here also.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Again, doesn’t surprise me. With the other things happened a few months ago, I had a feeling it would go there

Can you elaborate please? PM is fine also. Not trying to start anything just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Well motor ops is selling tuning now. Aren’t they out of Canada and doesn’t Duramax tuner do the tuning? Here’s the ad.
b26dbae3a8b24a57a1cd09ddf8cbb895.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well motor ops is selling tuning now. Aren’t they out of Canada and doesn’t Duramax tuner do the tuning? Here’s the ad.
b26dbae3a8b24a57a1cd09ddf8cbb895.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if he does or not but I do know he doesn’t offer delete tuning but motorops does so whatever that means......