Kryptonite Centerlink vs. PPE

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I tested this by lifting up 1 wheel on the truck and pushing in on the front out side of the lifted tire. The CL rotated up and thus magnified the toe in effect. This is how I found it to be the original culprit of causing the serious toeing in without the bending of the tie rods. If everything is tight as you say, toe in has to let the material go some place. Some flexing is granted from the stock CL,,,, but that a whole lot of flexing if something doesn't give or move.

on a stock centerlink sure, on the kryptonite you wont get. Like i was sayin, your leverage point has been cut 1/2 to 3/4 of what a stock link gives which means you need that much more to twist the link. i do not like the fact dmaxstore has to use the cognito brakets as i said cause i dont feel they are up to par with the strenght of all the other peices in the kit. The braces have a much better chance of holding that setup from twisting though than on a stock setup so i can see where they can hold the power of max'd out, my kit uses a 1/2" billet arm that allows NO twisting.

btw, pull your torsion bar out and measure your toe at full droop, at ride height and at full bump. its horrible the change we have and does not help our steering setup. the lower the suspension drops from ride height, the more your tires toe in, this is what im getting at and can magnify any little bit worn out parts you may have to give you really bad toe in or scrubbing that causes the bad wander affect.

They hook up to the back side of the CL on the Kyptonite instead of the straight pointed out end. I will say offset if you prefer that. Geometry is simply geometry. Still the same thing. Being I did all the testing on the straight CL before I made it available in 04, I found quickly that I had no wander whatsoever with boosted launches with cranked T bars. Myself as well as others here have tested this theory time and time again on some of the most powerful dmax set ups out there. The only reason why you have wander with the strait CL during a launch is for the reasons of 1 or 2 tires spinning then getting traction and another tire or 2 spinning. Been there, done that for many years. If all tires spin or all get traction, it's a straight launch even cranked up (which I do not recommend anyway). My truck breaks all 6 loose during a hard launch in 4WD and moves side ways in the lane a little during the launch. I find shredded tire rubber in and outside of the wheel wells afterward. This is how I knew what it was doing. However, it launches very, very straight in line with out hardly any steering wheel input needed. I'm sure there are quite a few here with the same experiences with the straight CLs. Some folks here probably remember how I did the testing and what I've put my truck though. I do not wish this kind of testing on any ones truck.

understandable but your not the only one who has put that kind of effort into a steering system looking for something to work. its been 6 years of testing, running different setups, trying new ideas, looking at how our steering is suffering, once one thing is made to work what the next weak link is, and dumping too much money into my steering to come up with a setup that i found to work, keep me daily driveable with no adverse affects and will hold up to me and my abuse. Im going to have to differ with this statement because i as well have seen the opposite in both my truck and others as well. im looking at this as a whole for the guy who wants to play at the track on the weekends, haul a trailer on monday through thursday, hit the dirt on friday, and clean up again for saturday night drags. Running the kryptonite design has already been proven as well with less cons to the setup. under a straight drag truck, puller a stragiht centerlink like the SD is a great affordable setup that will do all you ask it of. if you want something more, the option is out there.

This is the offset I'm speaking of. I simply call it a dog leg. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

oh i got ya. :D

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
Reading all this makes my head hurt, if I put a solid center link in my truck that has the tbars cranked, with tie rod sleeves will I be able to launch safely? Also will my tires wear weird?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Reading all this makes my head hurt, if I put a solid center link in my truck that has the tbars cranked, with tie rod sleeves will I be able to launch safely? Also will my tires wear weird?

In my personal opinon and experience, no to the first question and yes to the second. Others may differ with that answer

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
if I put a solid center link in my truck that has the tbars cranked, with tie rod sleeves will I be able to launch safely? Also will my tires wear weird?

Not recommended. I did a long time ago, and it wasn't all that fun. You can break CVs much easier too I might add. It can make them wear weird if your alignment isn't correct or even set up as I stated and if you do lots of turning all the time it can too (but my stocker could make my tires wear weird as well as will worn out components).

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Anybody have any experience with these? They use the factory outter tie rod end but heim joint inner:confused: http://www.pure-performance.biz/

The exposed threads where the stock outer tie rod screws on are still unsupported on that set up (close up view shows it). This is our original premier week spot on the steering of these trucks. The CL appears to be straight. I'm wondering if the tie rods hook up to the back side of it (off setting it and creating a pivot point) or in the center of it like a true straight CL set up. The Heim joints will wear like Heims I'm sure. This also can create a situation where you may have a hard time finding replacement parts in a jam. May need to have spares on hand. Going with the solid strait CL as Henry is advertising is still the best bang for the buck when needing the absolute toughest IFS setup with full steering control and with absolute reliability with no toe in (or out) over the entire up and down suspension motion and full lock to lock steering movement. This has been proven for almost 8 years now with this set up. Tried and true on hundreds of the most powerful Dmaxes out there. No one else can take complete or truthful claim of these facts period.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
The thing with most of ones like KRYPTONITE they do not use stock tie-rods and little do you know how bad it suck to have one let go when 500miles away from home. Try and find a KRYPTONITE one at 4PM is some shit hole town. I will keep my sleeves and SCL that use stock GM Tie-Rods. Yes I know the "KRYPTONITE" have a "Lifetime warranty" but that does not help if the truck is down for days as they ship you new ones.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
The thing with most of ones like KRYPTONITE they do not use stock tie-rods and little do you know how bad it suck to have one let go when 500miles away from home. Try and find a KRYPTONITE one at 4PM is some shit hole town. I will keep my sleeves and SCL that use stock GM Tie-Rods. Yes I know the "KRYPTONITE" have a "Lifetime warranty" but that does not help if the truck is down for days as they ship you new ones.

Well if you could break one of those you have a lot more to worry about then just a broken tie-rod. There are a ton of things that will break before you break one of those.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

cant argue with that! another reason i like my exaxt kit, all parts can be bought over the counter at any parts store. BUT like ken said, how often do you hear of people that have busted a tierod end on a trip across country that were not doing something dumb in the truck?

there is always gunna be pros and cons to our steering, we all could go back and forth for days and days and never get anywhere. I think we all have put our facts in with more details than most ever think of which is great. jsut another reason i love this site :D.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Chevy 1925 how have you been performing boosted launches @ track? I dont plan on doing this much but plan on giving her a few tries @ it. With a Billet or solid centerlink sleeves and my procomp lift with the supports will this be a problem? I dont have much of a cv angle it is pretty flat. I could do 80mph in 4wheel drive and the truck drove nice and straight but one time I tried to launch it in 4wd and it was like riding a bull! I am hoping the Straight centerlink and new pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm pivot and weld in bracket will allow this to be launched in 4wd.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I built my own steering kit with the stock center link. Originally had a straight center link with a 1.5" offset where the inners connect. Still had tire scrub so I ended up welding shackles on the stock center link and using the same heim tie rods.

Designed and built my own center link support that removes all twist from the CL at any kind of launch. I would love to post pics of this but as soon as I do my design will be stolen. So simple its ridiculous!

It also supports 2 other weak spots on the front end.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Chevy 1925 how have you been performing boosted launches @ track? I dont plan on doing this much but plan on giving her a few tries @ it. With a Billet or solid centerlink sleeves and my procomp lift with the supports will this be a problem? I dont have much of a cv angle it is pretty flat. I could do 80mph in 4wheel drive and the truck drove nice and straight but one time I tried to launch it in 4wd and it was like riding a bull! I am hoping the Straight centerlink and new pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm pivot and weld in bracket will allow this to be launched in 4wd.

well there is 4 different setups for pro-comp lifts. first, is your the knuckle lift or does it use a UCA drop bracket?

yes i do them every time i run it. the only time i get "steering wheel walk" is when i over power the track and get one front tire spinning, then it grabs and the other starts spinning. I dont see doing what your talking about being an issue other than if you have an older style UCA drop bracket style lift, it wont work as they use a centerlink drop bar, some with supports and some without.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Ya mine must be the uca drop bracket lift. It has some supports that attach to the centerlink. It seem to help a ton in 4wd not darting all over the place. You think this will be troublesome though a?