GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Well cause the shop that's going to be doing the work on my truck went from Idaho Rob to Justin for tuning and I haven't herd anything about him and I want to know if anyone has his tune. I want to hear what the people think not the vendors getting made b/c I'm not asking them.

I am sure that this one done for price reasons, everyone is out to save $5 regardless, no loyalty anymore in most business relationships....

May have switched due to pricing. Everyone is out to save a buck.

I agree, cheap isn't always good and good isn't always cheap !

My truck is the highest HP truck I have done so far.

and it was 603/1093.

So to answer your question, just average Joe for now. I refer all the big HP trucks to Rob. I will be doing a TT LMM here shortly though.

I have never seen a stock motor, stock trans truck make anything close to that HP/TQ, most stock TC's give up at 800 RWTQ, but if you have a dyno that will produce numbers like that it should be a 12.2 truck on the track to back those numbers up.

Once I get my trans done I will Brian.

It would limp even on the dyno, been there 7 years ago on a Dyno jet with a old school QUAD 215/Hot Juice/VA Pressure Box stack and it gave up at 435HP/800TQ.

So you made 600hp on stock trans eh?

(insert popcorn smiley here)

before i got into this duramax shit i would have never guessed it was so cut throat and such a sensitive topic to discuss tuning.

should have left this damn thing stock

The reason it is this way is because almost all the Duramax Tuners are emailing tunes to end users, its easy, its convenient, it doesn't cost the tuner anything so they maximize profits, they usually sell on low price/higher volume. The problem with that business model is not everyone is trustworthy so you have a lot of people "Sharing" tunes for profit.

Examples:

1) Joe buys EFI-LIVE from Billy Bob's One Tooth Tuning and Joe, Earl, Billy, Johnny, Josh, James, Henry, etc all buy one license, they then go out and rob tunes from everywhere and stick them in their truck for the cost of a license costing everyone who emails tunes business lost due to theft they allowed by emailing their stuff to everyone.

2) Joe buys a V2 and tunes from a tuner with an extensive tune library ( insert proper name ) and then Joe is a $50/email tuner cutting the legs off of the original author of the tunes.

3) Joe is now a tuner, he really isn't but is a copy/paster or script tuner, he has a truck issue and can't fix it so then the exuses come out.

I will say, I have never been involved with a automotive community that is so hush hush about tuning. EVERY other tuning community shares tunes. Everybody gets better from it, and the sport benefits largely.

See above post for answer.

Information used to be shared freely, but since everyone is a tuner now, things aren't shared as openly. That isn't meant as a dig at you, but it is the truth.

The reason nobody shares is because some of us spent years getting where we are and are not willing to give it away, at least I am not.

Nobody in this thread should be surprised that the new guy is getting attacked, he could be a fine tuner, he could be a great tuner, he is now stepping on someone's toe's and maybe cutting into business/profits of some of the established email tuners.

None of those issues effect people who lock tunes.......:thumb:

Justin, good luck to you and get your truck to the track and back that 600Hp up as soon as you can.

4x4Danny4x4

Apr 27, 2011
South Florida
I have Justin's tuning. I have been pleased with what he's done; for starters, he made me a single tune that ran like crap. I called him, told him what was going on, sent a log, and within ten minutes he had a new tune to me. it was better, but still needed some tweaking. I kept telling him the results, and he kept sending me modified tunes. The last single tune ran good, but the mileage sucked, like 13, when I was getting 16-18. I let him know, and figured if he wanted to do something, he would, if not, I was going to go find a better tune, just for the mileage. Next Monday, Justin sends me a new tune, said to give it a try- WAY better, smoother idle, mileage back up to about 18, and that is hand calculated, BTW.
I ordered a DSP2 from Dallas at CFD, and for some reason got the DSP5, and he made the tunes for it at no additional charge. I am running 5 tunes, from a optimized stock to a hot street tune, 45hp- 110hp.
I just drove from Scio OR, where I live, to Prescott and Phoenix AZ, and back, and on the optimized stock tune I made 18.5mpg, and on the way home I had it on the tune just under the hottest, and made 20.5, and that was crossing four passes over 5k'.
The truck is running smooth, the power is great, and the smoke is minimal.
I have seen Justin posting on the Duramaxforum saying that he thinks Rob is probably the best tuner out there right now. I really would find it hard to believe that he would be copying someone else's tuning and pawning it off as his own. I have read too many time how that each truck reacts differently to tuning, and that you can't have a one size fits all, besides that fact that they don't all interchange, ie, LB7 to LBZ won't cross over.
I wonder why people think that there is only room for two or three professional tuners? When Rob or Nick started, did everyone say their tunes were junk that they copying from someone else? I have never run anyone else's tuning, so can't say how it compares, but so far I am pleased with what Justin has done.
And if anyone wants to say that I'm Justin posting as another user, you con do the following research;
My company name is Premier Drywall & Construction, Inc, located in Scio OR.
The state of OR requires all contractors to be licensed, my # is 178532, you can look it up on the Oregon Construction Contractors Board website, which you can google, I'm not gonna type out their crazy long website address.
I also have a DBA Premier Foam Insulation, licensed under the same number.
AND FURTHERMORE, Justin DID NOT ASK ME TO COME OVER HERE AND POST ANYTHING, another member on the DF saw that I had his tuning and sent me the link to this wacko tuner bash.
Have a GREAT day

thanks for ur info

Feb 14, 2009
You didnt, no, your friends told me though, so kinda sorta same thing? Not really? Dont run circles Justin, dont make me gett out the lets play Jepordy game for the tuners name.. :rofl:

Most of also know how SOME folks just like to stir things up with little comments....
:sarcasm:

Seriously...

On a brighter note, I saved $1.12 by switching to Geico.

I saved $800 a year with 21st century! Geico sux...:thumb:

I used Amsoil and we all know that Amsoil will give a truck 1000hp and make it run 8s stock. :roflmao:

NOW you are REALLY gettin' under Bryan's skin! Petro-Canada is proven to make 1500ho and helps trucks run 7's, so THERE. :rofl:

I say hats off to ANYONE who puts the time in to learn tuning, but more so to anyone who decides to do better for themselves in life with their own business, there are already WAY TO MANY freeloaders living off of those that do this, WAY TO GO JUSTIN! Keep up the good work.
:yourock: :beer

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Just seems like a coincidence to me both threads on both forums were started within 1 minute of each other. The "tuner" in question already has free advertisement form another vendor anyways.

And yea, I dont take anything serious about amsoil threads, I know im running better oil for far cheaper and thats the only thing I care about ;)

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Just seems like a coincidence to me both threads on both forums were started within 1 minute of each other. The "tuner" in question already has free advertisement form another vendor anyways.

And yea, I dont take anything serious about amsoil threads, I know im running better oil for far cheaper and thats the only thing I care about ;)

If it makes you feel any better, he was sending me messages a few days before he started these threads.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Amsoil....only the misinformed would buy it.

Back on topic...I have never seen the kind of disregard for intellectual property in any other automotive niche as I do here. I used to sell tuning commercially until I got screwed several times and just quit doing it. You would too if you spent countless hours perfecting something only to receive no compensation in any form.

I don't know if it is done simply to save a dollar or out of selfishness, but it is horrifically disrespectful on the most basic moral level.

Sent from my iPhone.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

When you change your oil every 1-2k, i dont think it matters that much brian lol. :D

mackyoudip

Jun 23, 2010
Your not talking to someone that doesnt know that already about tuning. Let me ask you this, what trucks have you tuned with built motors, dual fuelers, big twins or tripples, atleast a set of 60% overs that daily drive and have great street manners?

I had to log back into this site after I swore I never would again because you are a total jackass. He never said his tuning is the "best" he didn't advertise anything, and I know him a little better than you through the DF, not on a personal level however. The people that have his tuning are happy. I am not using his tunes so you can't say I'm a fan boy or whatever, but he does his own tuning on his own truck and decided to start with others from what I have seen. Is that wrong? He doesn't have the time and money to tune a truck like that. If he can tune a stock turbo truck well and sells it for less than Rob then he in my opinion is a much better choice of tuner for most. Most people don't have the things you have listed.;)

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
To clarify, I don't think there was a lot of value for the OP to post a thread on a forum of people that haven't tried Justin's tuning asking for feedback. Justin is a fairly new tuner to the industry and contacting guys running his tuning on DF would have been more effective IMO.

Obviously the OP couldn't have anticipated the onslaught of bashing and messages to follow.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It's the new Diesel Reality Show:

TUNA WARS!!

I really got a kick outta the "Gas Guys Aren't That Way!"

Guess it was before your time, LS1 Tunas put all our whining to shame.

But just so you know... I Am The Master Tuna!!! :D