I have seen the impossible!

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
It will take you twice as long, and a pita to find all the top end stuff separate, but If you can get it all, go for it. Usually the LLYs I find, have way less miles then the LB7 that's coming out

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
What if I just wanted to swap heads and save some money?

You could swap to LLY heads, injectors, LLY ECM, FICM, wiring harness...and then you would have an LLY...because LB7 and LLY short blocks are identical.

If you have an 03-04 LB7 you'd be a complete idiot to do it this way (keep the LB7 ECM/FICM and make a hacked up wiring harness like the 01-02 guys have to do if they wanna go LLY injectors)....just swap to all LLY stuff....its completely plug and play in 03-04 trucks. Seriously, its a no brainer. LLY ECM's and harnesses can be had for a couple hundred dollars.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Some how I missed this thread by not bothering to read it. So I guess your up and running ?

Also has anyone put a approx number on the cost of this conversion I know depending on the donor vehicle could fluctuate considerably and a parts list.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I also don't understand this

I made my own crank case ventilation lines out of rubber fuel line, tied the two sides together, using a T fitting, and ran one line down the front passenger side of the engine and out just below the oil pan. I installed an inline metal fuel filter in the vertical hose below the exhaust manifold to keep anything from finding its way back into the engine.

What is the need for a filter on the PCV ,last I knew on a LB7 there is none unless I'm confused.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Some how I missed this thread by not bothering to read it. So I guess your up and running ?
Yea, she runs pretty good when the return fuel from the low pressure regulator has somewhere to go.
Also has anyone put a approx number on the cost of this conversion I know depending on the donor vehicle could fluctuate considerably and a parts list.

I paid a considerable amount of money for my build. But it's not a stock motor.

I have approx $5500 just in the heads, injectors, lines, wiring, covers and little things I didn't have (injector hold downs and bolts, o-rings and washers, new glow plugs, etc)

But one can do a decent set of heads for $1500 total. Injectors are still the biggest expense, ranging from $500 for cores that might work to a %100-over Exergy set for anywhere from $1500 used to $4000 new (I'm guessing). Lines can be cheap if you know someone that has a core motor and doesn't get greedy. Same goes for the covers. I bought my wire from Allied Cable, bulk, in the cheapest overstock colors I could find. I figured I was going to loom it anyways, why try to keep all the same color. In the end, I am happy with that method, since I know the reason for having to go back and trace wires was because of my own dumb mistake(s)...since I relocated all my computers at the same time. The FICM wiring was really easy, one pair of wires got mixed up but it was an easy fix at the bale connector. I still am not convinced that an LLY FICM won't work. I really think that I could've made it work had I tried it. I was airing on the side of caution when I decided to use a known-good method.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I also don't understand this

What is the need for a filter on the PCV ,last I knew on a LB7 there is none unless I'm confused.
The original truck that was being discussed was just an 01-02 truck with a full lly motor swap without the vgt turbo

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
It wasn't a LB7 short block with a LLY heads intake and aurora turbo?

Anyway GM should be proud of the guy or guys who figured out a fix for their mistake they dumped on us . Nonetheless it's a DIY to the tune of roughly $6000 dollars or more. Not cheap by no means.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
there's no way it should cost that much! Heck, you can buy complete LLY with harnesses all day long for less than that, swap it out for yours, make the wiring changes needed to run the LLY with the LB7 wiring and sell the stuff you swap out or don't use. I'd say you could do it for half of that estimate which is on par for having a shop replace the injectors in an LB7 I'd say. :D

cole30

Sep 21, 2009
So if you have a late model LB7 (04) what is the best way to swap over to lly heads?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
there's no way it should cost that much! Heck, you can buy complete LLY with harnesses all day long for less than that, swap it out for yours, make the wiring changes needed to run the LLY with the LB7 wiring and sell the stuff you swap out or don't use. I'd say you could do it for half of that estimate which is on par for having a shop replace the injectors in an LB7 I'd say. :D

Anything is possible but I'm being realistic. Most complete drop in LLY's are going from what I've seen are in the 4/5000 dollar range and probably doesn't come with the electrical items needed. Looks like Ben said that you cannot do a complete swap like that anyway. Never gave the exact reason or I over looked it. I'll take his word for it although.

SO IF your not doing a complete swap in (which appears cannot be done) and stripping the LLY for what you need then you have gaskets etc etc etc.
Then someone like me that does NOT know EFI would have to pay someone to get it running. So I pretty much figured you'd have to part it together and a set of injectors alone cost about half of the 6 I say it will cost. As the word gets out about this parts will be in short supply and sellers will have prices that reflect just that! Bastards.

I personally wont be doing it anytime soon and to be honest with you I would rather have enough money ,if I was to do it, to do a budget build up anyway. I'm sure that this would be a whole lot easier to do with the motor out anyway.

I don't doubt you that if you had the patience to wait and dig around for the cheapest parts that you could do it for less but 1/2 I dunno. No one has put a actual dollar amount on this swap even a DIY'er. Eventually someone will.

Only three in this thread , Hawk355,bdubu1986 and juddski88 , have done it and haven't put a number on it. None of these probably will either. Hawks not here much as bdubu isn't and he didn't even respond to Trippen's question. Judd did a bunch of work besides this so it might be difficult to put a actual on it.

I'm still holding out for relentlesscummins new injector design :rofl:
He must be really busy as he hasn't posted much.