I have seen the impossible!

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Have anybody else done this yet? Complete engine swap or just the heads?

I'm just about done replacing my injectors and this has really sparked my interest down the road.

great job Hawk and thank you for sharing on the board.:thumb::thumb:

yellowchevy

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Have anybody else done this yet? Complete engine swap or just the heads?

I'm just about done replacing my injectors and this has really sparked my interest down the road.

great job Hawk and thank you for sharing on the board.:thumb::thumb:

yellowchevy

Juddski is doing this on his LB7 right now...LLY heads and injectors run off of LB7 FICM and ECM and stuff. Ill let him comment on it once hes done.

Sounpopular

Need more power! :D
Feb 16, 2010
Silverton, Oregon
Subscribing as well! I'm at about 110,000 and the injectors seem to be fine this far but if I ever do replace them, I'm defiantly gonna consider this route!

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
2. I’m using the stock LB7 ECM and FICM

4. The voltage to the Injectors may be different. This is why I’m using the FICM from a LLY

that doesnt make sense

littlejeepr

Nov 8, 2010
became a member after the read of the post, glad to have found it linked from another forum, It was something that i was wondering was possible i was even wondering if it could be done with a LBZ. I am subscribed now and looking for more good reads.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
LLY FICM uses CAN protocol to communicate with the ECM.
LB7 FICM uses J1939 serial protocol.

You can't interchange the two.

Last edited:

kappelmd

Nov 23, 2010
First post on this Dmax site. I am definitely subscribing to this thread. You may want to post on dieselplace.com also.

bdubu1986

Dec 5, 2010
lb7 to lly swap issues

i have an 02 2500 that had a blown up lb7 i put a lly engine in it and tryed to use the lly harness and vvt. i used the ecm and ficm out of the lb7 and it starts and idles and thats all it will do. im thinking i need to switch the turbo and up pipe can this be done with the motor in the vehicle or does it have to come back out. why did you switch the harness wires was it because of the glow plug relay hot wire

Observer

Newbie Diesel-holic
Dec 30, 2009
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
BUMP for any updates ...

Juddski is doing this on his LB7 right now...LLY heads and injectors run off of LB7 FICM and ECM and stuff. Ill let him comment on it once hes done.

Any word on juddski88 LLY head swap to an LB7?

If my injectors go, then this would be my preference.

I'm eagerly awaiting updates on this thread/subject!!!! :grd:

Observer

Newbie Diesel-holic
Dec 30, 2009
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Once I finish this semester this week, it will be priority #1

Thanks juddski ... looking forward to your write-up (i.e. the good, the bad, and the ugly).

I'm tired of screwing with LB7 injectors, I picked up a LLY top end and I'm going to do this. is anyone out there able to tune this?

Car RamRod ... might want to read post #69 ... might answer your question.

The misc. questions I have regarding the LLY to LB7 head-swap has to do with component parts, such as:

• head gaskets (i.e. use LLY or use LB7);
  • pushrods;
  • fuel lines;
  • headbolts, etc.
That's my WISH LIST for now!

Hopefully Juddski can accommodate ... hint, hint!!! :thumb:

Car RamRod

Right Meow!
Apr 12, 2009
Just west of Mobile, AL
Thanks juddski ... looking forward to your write-up (i.e. the good, the bad, and the ugly).

Car RamRod ... might want to read post #69 ... might answer your question.

The misc. questions I have regarding the LLY to LB7 head-swap has to do with component parts, such as:

• head gaskets (i.e. use LLY or use LB7);
  • pushrods;
  • fuel lines;
  • headbolts, etc.
That's my WISH LIST for now!

Hopefully Juddski can accommodate ... hint, hint!!! :thumb:

ah, I missed that.

the fuel lines on the engine are specific to the engine version, the truck side lines are the same.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Yes, lly top end is exactly that, an entire top end: heads,gaskets, covers, fuel lines, wiring, injector hold downs and bolts, injectors, pcv reroute. O yea, and I suggest the van thermo housing.

Observer

Newbie Diesel-holic
Dec 30, 2009
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Yes, lly top end is exactly that, an entire top end: heads,gaskets, covers, fuel lines, wiring, injector hold downs and bolts, injectors, pcv reroute. O yea, and I suggest the van thermo housing.

Thanks!

Now you know ... what you are about to embark on is something that hundreds, if not millions (just kidding), of us LB7 owners will be eagerly following ...

NO PRESSURE THOUGH! :happy2:

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
There are always guys scrapping out LLY engines in DP and some here. There has to be a way to eliminate the LB7 injectors from a guy's truck picture. GM should have given out redesigned units and junked the stuff that just goes out so easy. Then it's LBZ pistons that sure have alot of negative attention next.

bdubu1986

Dec 5, 2010
got engine running today doing this swap but im not so sure how to use efi live. and when its idling it sounds like it has a fuel knock or something did yours sound like this