I have seen the impossible!

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
got engine running today doing this swap but im not so sure how to use efi live. and when its idling it sounds like it has a fuel knock or something did yours sound like this

Did you install the LB7 turbo or do you still have the LLY?

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
If I had an LB7 getting on in age it would be high time to just take it sell it, get a LBZ or LMM for instance and go up to a better engine since the used ones in this range of 06' to 09' say are now off hi book and the LB7 will still bring good money for a guy who just will deal with the injectors. This costs to much to screw with on LB7 stuff. I know the newer stuff has whatever on it to but the best part is you don't have LB7 injectors to buy whenever.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The can code is from a short to ground on the signal low wire (green) going to trace it now. Not sure about the 0370 yet. It's not swapped plugs. It's not the ESS wire. According to the pinouts between lly and lb7, it shouldn't even be that I have "lly" plugs on lb7 ckp and cps sensors... ill go to that issue next

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Tony,
Found out my pressure problem was the mitusa was leaking air through oring seal. Put Kennedy pumps on and found out they don't self prime. Lol. I finally got them primed and cranking it builds to 6300 psi. luckily it wasn't the new cp3 or injectors.

U1800 Lost Communication with FICM

U2106 Lost CAN Communications with Trans Control System

P0370 Timing Ref. High Resolution Signal "A"

Sounds like wiring issues and possibly a swapped Cam/Crank sensor plug

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I checked ckp and cmp circuits, all check good with no shorts. the only thing I touched to extend the ficm harness that was related to those circuits was the ficm grounds, which ground the shielded sections of wire.

james13

big black
Oct 7, 2009
lincoln ne.
when you do the swap and useing the 05 lly and trans too do you have to chang the tcm on 02 trucks I have a bad pistonin my lb7 and found an 05 lly and trans with 70000 miles for $3500

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
i don't think it has said anything about anybody swapping the trans? could be wrong though. so far from what i have gathered about this thread its all about getting rid of the lb7 and throwing in an lly for ease of injector maintinance, but still running said lly off of the lb7 brains. i have thought about this many times and am wondering if you can take like an lbz and do this to it? if not why not? i know the injector signal is different but can it be modified?

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
also eagerly awaiting some results from this :) thinking about starting to pick up pieces but like said above if an lbz or something other than lly will also work that will widen up the search!

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The late 04 and 05 valvebody have a g-solenoid. To my knowledge, it cant be used with lb7 electronics and last. My truck is running now. The wiring changes really aren't bad. Lbz injectors will also work in a swap just as lly ones do

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
The late 04 and 05 valvebody have a g-solenoid. To my knowledge, it cant be used with lb7 electronics and last. My truck is running now. The wiring changes really aren't bad. Lbz injectors will also work in a swap just as lly ones do
so does this mean that lbz heads etc, will work as well? as long as you use the lb7 intake/turbo etc. from what i understand there isn't much difference between the lbz heads and the lly heads but i could be wrong. if there is a difference which ones are better to look for?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I would use LBZ heads, because LLY injectors will fit in LBZ heads with a different o-ring. Screw using the stock turbo though man, wrenching on a truck that has bigger than a GT40 or S300 turbo is waaaayyyyy easier!

billdunn83

BAMF
Nov 8, 2011
SEPA
bump. I just wanted to confirm for the 50th time... for this swap we are just using the LLY heads, injectors, rails and injector harness correct? I need injectors in mine now but if I can find a doner LLY cheaper I would like to go that route.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
there is a new thread every day it seems recently, selling LLY parts. I would do it that way. And yes, I used LLY heads, injectors, injector lines, engine harness, and LB7 FICM and ECM. My motor is such a mutt, I also run a LBZ block and crank, LB7 front and rear covers, and LBZ intake manifold and runners. Make sure you use a LB7-LLY reluctor wheel with whatever your build includes.