Headers and hi flow up pipes

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I'll stay here and punch it out with you if you want, but it will solve nothing.:( You still only see your one sided conspiracy theories.

On second thought, I will go back into hiding again. You have some really good people here and they don't deserve having to read this BS. Some day hopefully all that happened will be told by someone you will actually believe.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
So much pesimism. :thumbsdown: When you say "I can't" others say "I can".:D

How many Dmax trucks have you worked with running headers?

I know of 6, and all have had problems so far.

That is not good.

Now there are generic claims made that there are headers now that are magic and wonderful.

You will have to be specific since so many claims have been made that were outright lies.

It would be great if they work, but excuse me if I need more data than "it be good!".

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
TX, what diameter tubing are your headers and up-pipes made from?

I realize the headers are stepped up as well, care to share how much difference from start to finish on the diameter of the headers themselves?

Thanks

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I'll stay here and punch it out with you if you want, but it will solve nothing.:( You still only see your one sided conspiracy theories.

On second thought, I will go back into hiding again. You have some really good people here and they don't deserve having to read this BS. Some day hopefully all that happened will be told by someone you will actually believe.

That works for me.

Headers + Rick D Lance + anyothershop = disaster.

Headers are needed.

Not hype, not spying, not ripping folk off.

I wish a mainstream reputable shop would make headers.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I think we should hold the skepticism, its not proof of anything. ;)

Lotsa measurements and logging and dyno work is what I like, the guesses and skepticism quickly get checked at the door when the facts are brought out. The dyno is a very good lie detector, and a good load cell dyno that can repeat results is a handy tool indeed:

img1142ay5.jpg

img1153yx2.jpg

img1143vc3.jpg

img1206hl1.jpg

Stock manifolds and up pipes is the red curve, our headers and up pipes are the other two curves. If you had to choose, which would you want? Truck is basically more or less stock but with big ass 20" bling wheels that suck major power and the smallest superchips tune to make up for the 80 lb each bling wheels bringing power back close to stock. But the headers and up pipes turned it into a whole new animal, the boost jumps now with the throttle. :D

I don't know about vaporware, but logging things tells me we get boost faster and power much sooner. :hello: We have finally seen some EGT control on the top end too, which was another thing we wanted. :cool2:

Wow, all with manifold and riser changes. I hope to see similar improvements. Thanks

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
I don't run headers, I don't sell headers, and the only folk I ever supplied tech data to concerning headers is YOU and TxChristopher.

Ok back up the ridiculous train here, care to elaborate on this statement? Lets talk about the technical data that you provided me on any of this. I would love to hear it. We both know this process you are describing didn't and doesn't exist, so yes I am flat calling you a liar on this period.

Feel free to leave me out of your little personal pissing match, I am uniterested in participating in it and wouldn't have if I had known this was where this thread was going (quickly into the dumper). :mad:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I think we should hold the skepticism, its not proof of anything. ;)

Lotsa measurements and logging and dyno work is what I like, the guesses and skepticism quickly get checked at the door when the facts are brought out. The dyno is a very good lie detector, and a good load cell dyno that can repeat results is a handy tool indeed:

img1142ay5.jpg

img1153yx2.jpg

img1143vc3.jpg

img1206hl1.jpg

Stock manifolds and up pipes is the red curve, our headers and up pipes are the other two curves. If you had to choose, which would you want? Truck is basically more or less stock but with big ass 20" bling wheels that suck major power and the smallest superchips tune to make up for the 80 lb each bling wheels bringing power back close to stock. But the headers and up pipes turned it into a whole new animal, the boost jumps now with the throttle. :D

I don't know about vaporware, but logging things tells me we get boost faster and power much sooner. :hello: We have finally seen some EGT control on the top end too, which was another thing we wanted. :cool2:

Can you explain why the HP gains are falling as RPM goes up? Why does an LLY have peak power at 2800? Normally peaks 3000-3200.

If you open up the intake or exhaust, gains increase as a function of RPM.

Not to nit pick, but I spend over 100 hrs a year on the dyno. Probably closer to 200, so I know what I'm looking at.

Rttoys

insurance poor
Mar 6, 2008
Houston, TX
How many Dmax trucks have you worked with running headers?

I know of 6, and all have had problems so far.

That is not good.

Now there are generic claims made that there are headers now that are magic and wonderful.

You will have to be specific since so many claims have been made that were outright lies.

It would be great if they work, but excuse me if I need more data than "it be good!".

I work on these trucks for a living, but in this instance I'm simply a 3rd person in this test to give a non-biased opinion. I could care less if they work or not. I rather have my truck more reliable than 'sporty'. If it work in the long haul, then good, if not, that's fine too.:)

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
Wow, all with manifold and riser changes. I hope to see similar improvements. Thanks

You are welcome Mike. We changed one thing at a time then hit the dyno for lots of pulls. It took longer to do and cost a lot more money but it was the only way to see what was doing what. There is definitely power to be had there, you will see. I have a lot more info but I am not sure this is the place to post it. I thought this was the top duramax performance board but with the attitude around here I am not so sure anymore ... . .

Last edited:

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
Can you explain why the HP gains are falling as RPM goes up? Why does an LLY have peak power at 2800? Normally peaks 3000-3200.

If you open up the intake or exhaust, gains increase as a function of RPM.

Not to nit pick, but I spend over 100 hrs a year on the dyno. Probably closer to 200, so I know what I'm looking at.

Yeah, I sure can explain. Its mostly because you know so much and are so sure that you know what you are looking at that you think the torque curve is the horsepower curve and vice versa. I wish I were as expert as you. ;) Look again oh self proclaimed expert, horsepower peaked at 2950-3000 thank you very much. :D

But what do I know.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
Well, I've said enough for a few weeks again. Back into hiding.;)

Pat, come back and visit us again sometime. This time use your name, not someone else's :).

Seriously, you and everyone are welcome there.;)

McRat is being really nice and tolerating you. Why would they want to go back to you after how you treated them. That would be like a dog going back to it's vomit.

You and your people can go back to www.shaddygrayrainbowcolorednon-enthusiastduramaxcentral_landfill.com and leave the enthusiast to the enthusiast sites.

Notice McRat didn't say that the header's weren't needed.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
That works for me.

Headers + Rick D Lance + anyothershop = disaster.

Headers are needed.

Not hype, not spying, not ripping folk off.

I wish a mainstream reputable shop would make headers.

I see your Love for me has grown and your colors are showing again.

I just spent 15 minutes typing up a long explanation to all Pats claims against me. Explaining once again what happened and why.

I deleted it because I'm sure it would have done no good. It would only sidetrack this thread more.

Sorry folks for stirring him up. :(

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
You are welcome Mike. We changed one thing at a time then hit the dyno for lots of pulls. It took longer to do and cost a lot more money but it was the only way to see what was doing what. There is definitely power to be had there, you will see. I have a lot more info but I am not sure this is the place to post it. I thought this was the top duramax performance board but with the attitude around here I am not so sure anymore ... . .

He didn't say he didn't think the headers weren't legit, he just wished he could buy them from someone who hasn't previously done him wrong. Maybe IDK shit.:eek:

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I see your Love for me has grown and your colors are showing again.

I just spent 15 minutes typing up a long explanation to all Pats claims against me. Explaining once again what happened and why.

I deleted it because I'm sure it would have done no good. It would only sidetrack this thread more.

Sorry folks for stirring him up. :(

No sorry needed by me. One day all headers will be perfect and on everyones trucks. Threads like this one is what make headers better.

Thanks Rick.

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
Well this was next to a complete waste of time, I regret sharing anything here about it now. A total waste of two pages of posting with accusations and a bunch of whiney adults who are more like kids pointing fingers and calling each other names.

I had rather hoped for a good technical discussion. I apologize to those who were genuinely trying to participate and asked valid honest questions, but the info train was too quickly derailed and the haters came cruising too fast for my liking. This is only the beginning of the game for Duramax headers but it doesn't look like Durarat Diesels is a place interested in progress.... later! :hello:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Well this was next to a complete waste of time, I regret sharing anything here about it now. A total waste of two pages of posting with accusations and a bunch of whiney adults who are more like kids pointing fingers and calling each other names.

I had rather hoped for a good technical discussion. I apologize to those who were genuinely trying to participate and asked valid honest questions, but the info train was too quickly derailed and the haters came cruising too fast for my liking. This is only the beginning of the game for Duramax headers but it doesn't look like Durarat Diesels is a place interested in progress.... later! :hello:

Now this sucks. You, as well as others, bring more to this site than headers and now this. Darn, well I understand. I've left a few sites for a while till I calmed down. Hope to see you back soon Chris. I for one would like to see how your manifolds play out. Any chance of that now?

Thanks again.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Basically, if you want to do an infomercial on your new headers, do it right. Prices, availability, HP gains with a tuning only truck, with a big charger truck.

No "DAMN DESS IZ GOOD!!!" and expect nobody to question it.

If some readers think I'm a bit harse to Rick+TxChris, I'm OK with that too. No more claims. That is getting old. Let's see the beef.

I've been waiting on headers forever and a day. And I do not run free parts on my truck. But nobody as of June 25, 2008 can deliver, or I'd have them. Hence my claims of Vaporware.

As I told Rick and Chris. 33% more cross-sectional area. Log style headers, tapered or stepped.

noproblem

Mar 23, 2008
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I find it quite comical how sensitive people get about headers :rofl: But when people accuse others of of not being original, that is serious. This BS why you will never see a talented person mass produce them. The agrivation isn't worth the money. I personaly know of a large header builder that was interested in making them but changed their mind after speaking with me and viewing threads on the internet. And I quote them "I don't have to deal with that much BS building cup car headers lol"