Headers and hi flow up pipes

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
looks like the uppipe just slides onto the manifold? wonder how good that seals?

It should work well, but over time I'm sure it may leak. I personaly hate leaks of any sort and will not tolerate them. After spending a week building the motor in my car it leaked 1 drop of oil on the floor over night and I yanked it back out to put a different rear main in it. Oil, coolant, and SOOT make for a nasty looking engine.

Relying on friction and a tight fit to seal something is not my opinion of a good idea. When 2 surfaces slide on eachother long enough they wear out and then you have a gap and that makes for a leak.

Again I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them.....it is a proven method, I just don't care for it :eek:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
It should work well, but over time I'm sure it may leak. I personaly hate leaks of any sort and will not tolerate them. After spending a week building the motor in my car it leaked 1 drop of oil on the floor over night and I yanked it back out to put a different rear main in it. Oil, coolant, and SOOT make for a nasty looking engine.

Relying on friction and a tight fit to seal something is not my opinion of a good idea. When 2 surfaces slide on eachother long enough they wear out and then you have a gap and that makes for a leak.

Again I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them.....it is a proven method, I just don't care for it :eek:

I agree. I hate leaks. Bellows are the way I am going to go, unless I can find another solution. But my build is a ways off...

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
We are netting good results with these, and yes there are gains to be had over stock. :D Obviously the gains modified would be greater. Lotsa dyno work has proven the gains, tow tests will wrap up this saturday.

img1155rl3.jpg

img1156dk3.jpg

img1159op1.jpg

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Those are a darn sight easier to install compared to what I've been dealing with lately. Can't wait for the final results. Any plans to replace the downpipe?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We are netting good results with these, and yes there are gains to be had over stock. :D Obviously the gains modified would be greater. Lotsa dyno work has proven the gains, tow tests will wrap up this saturday.

Do you have anything more to offer other than "good results" and "gains"?

Headers so far are mostly vaporware with very high failure rates, so skepticism is in order.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
As far as I'm told, failure rate is close to 100%, and lifespan is a few months.

I'm sure if there is someone reading who has been running headers for an extended period they will give some input. Most of the those with failures aren't speaking publically, but are speaking privately instead.

For almost 3 years I've believed that log headers and risers that flow 1/3 more than stock will show gains 3000 rpm+. But so far nobody has been able to "whup it out".

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Headers so far are mostly vaporware with very high failure rates, so skepticism is in order.

Vaporware? :rofl:

Your estimate of the gains were way off too. ;)

Looks like your failure rate predictions may be off too. :)

Last edited:

Rttoys

insurance poor
Mar 6, 2008
Houston, TX
Results have been dyno'ed, it's hard numbers on paper.:cool2: 'Real world' towing is coming this weekend, I expect 10x better than the dyno shows........for the 'normal guy'.:)

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
As far as I'm told, failure rate is close to 100%, and lifespan is a few months.

I'm sure if there is someone reading who has been running headers for an extended period they will give some input. Most of the those with failures aren't speaking publically, but are speaking privately instead.

For almost 3 years I've believed that log headers and risers that flow 1/3 more than stock will show gains 3000 rpm+. But so far nobody has been able to "whup it out".

Oh crap, you know how to ruin a fellows day. I've been working weeks to finish the right hand drive to left hand drive header conversion.

I've had mine on for several months but have had a leak or two. These leaks have been there since installation but were due to alignment issues. I've since removed the headers aligned and milled the flanges. I'm hoping to connect the down pipe to the rest of the exhaust and start the testing again.

Too bad I don't have much pre-header information other than logs and a few dyno pulls. But even at that, too many changes at once will skew any and all that information. I will say, the folks in Brisbane Australia that made these headers do a fantastic job. I just had a bastard set-up with left hand drive to deal with. I'll get back in a few months with more information and pictures.

Rttoys

insurance poor
Mar 6, 2008
Houston, TX

So much pesimism. :thumbsdown: When you say "I can't" others say "I can".:D

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Well, I've said enough for a few weeks again. Back into hiding.;)

Pat, come back and visit us again sometime. This time use your name, not someone else's :).

Seriously, you and everyone are welcome there.;)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Kind of like the way some people get treated around here then.:)

Basically you did as much carnage as you possibly could to this board and my shop because you think you invented headers and steel.

I don't run headers, I don't sell headers, and the only folk I ever supplied tech data to concerning headers is YOU and TxChristopher.

Shouldn't you be off squealing on me and spying on me to your cornhole buddies?

Whether your headers are good or bad, I don't give a flying fk.

Your tactics and testing need scrutiny since your morals are lacking.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
PS -

To the readers. After RDL was caught spying on me redhanded, and after he had me banned from TDP, I still offered him free advertising on this site. Not because I think he is a decent human, but because I offered it to his competitors too and wanted to be "fair". Luckily he declined. I'm good with that.

But apparently if you do not suck up absolutely and 100% to Rick, you are "unfair".

He is so full of crap it is to the point of comedy.

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
Do you have anything more to offer other than "good results" and "gains"?

I think we should hold the skepticism, its not proof of anything. ;)

Lotsa measurements and logging and dyno work is what I like, the guesses and skepticism quickly get checked at the door when the facts are brought out. The dyno is a very good lie detector, and a good load cell dyno that can repeat results is a handy tool indeed:

img1142ay5.jpg

img1153yx2.jpg

img1143vc3.jpg

img1206hl1.jpg

Stock manifolds and up pipes is the red curve, our headers and up pipes are the other two curves. If you had to choose, which would you want? Truck is basically more or less stock but with big ass 20" bling wheels that suck major power and the smallest superchips tune to make up for the 80 lb each bling wheels bringing power back close to stock. But the headers and up pipes turned it into a whole new animal, the boost jumps now with the throttle. :D

I don't know about vaporware, but logging things tells me we get boost faster and power much sooner. :hello: We have finally seen some EGT control on the top end too, which was another thing we wanted. :cool2:

Last edited: