Headers and hi flow up pipes

Jerod Jardine

Vendor Status on HOLD
May 6, 2008
Yes and no. I never got a chance to do it on the DMX. I did alot more testing on the Cummins. We dropped that to 1-1 ratio or a little less. We have a few dodges here so they get the brunt of the testing. On the dyno with the cummins the header reacted better and better the more fuel we added. Stock fuel levels we lost about 100# torque. As we added fuel the engine liked the header more and more. When we were done we didn't gain any but we wern't losing any. We dropped 200deg and built the same power with about 4# less boost. This was a stock turbo on an '05. The only fuel we added was via EDGE. We ran that header on that truck for about 30000 mi before it started to crack. It was made of 16 gauge mild steel.
I was bringing some tubing home with that truck out of Long Beach, 36000# gross. I damn near burnt the truck to the ground on the Baker Grade in mid August. Luckily I had a gallon of water. The header caught the insulation on fire. I'm sure Pat is familiar with the grade, It's a B

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I take it there was no coating on that header? As soon as the headers went on my truck a fire ext. went in as well :D Fire was my biggest fear. Although I havent had any probs I have always been a big advocate of carrying a fire ext in my cars...and now truck. And not mounted to the a-pillar like in the zippy cars :rofl:

Jerod Jardine

Vendor Status on HOLD
May 6, 2008
The insulation actually fell down of the fire wall. It wasn't resting on the header but it was close enough. We do carry a fire ext. in the truck but their too messy:cool2:. We mesured the drive pres right in the exhaust hsng.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
We do carry a fire ext. in the truck but their too messy:cool2:.

I have a CO2 one so theres no mess :D Same for the kitchen, makes ya much less reluctant to use it. But I know what your talkin about...I learned that the hard way with one of my cars when I was 16. I should have let it burn, it took forever to clean that stupid white powder up :mad:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
haha yes a fire extinguisher is nice, but not when you zip tie it to the a pillar of your gutted civic that runs 13.00s at 105MPH. So will turbo housing choice be effected by whether or not you plan to run headers and uppipes? sorry guys i dont know much on this topic and would like to hear from those of you with knowledge.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
haha yes a fire extinguisher is nice, but not when you zip tie it to the a pillar of your gutted civic that runs 13.00s at 105MPH. So will turbo housing choice be effected by whether or not you plan to run headers and uppipes? sorry guys i dont know much on this topic and would like to hear from those of you with knowledge.

I'm not sure, but I do think that someone who knows what they are doing could really make my truck run better with some diff vane settings. The headers or up-pipes deff did something because it wanted different settings and made more boost without them (the vane new vane tables).

I tried to do the best I could...but I'm a welder, not an efi guru

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
I run a 1.28 housing and my DP is just barely over 1-1 on a GT42.
Pat, IIRC you told me you were running over 100psi DP with the 1.15. Do you think the 1.28 would drop it near 1-1?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
How hard would it be to get the housing properly matched to a non VVT turbo? Or can you just slap well built pipes on and they will perform well?

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
How hard would it be to get the housing properly matched to a non VVT turbo? Or can you just slap well built pipes on and they will perform well?

Hey Reno, Rick doesnt hang out here any more but he could set you up with some pipes that will make an improvement. I've seen him on a few forums but you can usually find him at dmaxcentral.com

My headers should be back soon and hopefully leak free:)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Funny, Rick PM'd folk here to go to DieselTowingResource.com, myself included.

Rick Lance is not banned from this site, nor even been given a time-out. When I asked him to resist slamming other header makers, he decided that was an unacceptable restriction.

He is welcome to come back as soon as he gets the glass belly button installed.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
me curious, 03 LB7, stock turbo adjusted to approx 30-32psi @ WOT. My drive pressure is about 45 psi at this time. drive psi is from a port i welded to to the elbow at the the top of the driver side up-pipe. Dose this seem a little on the high side? Would some bigger up-pipes give any benifit? I'd like to build my own and use some Burns Stainless slip joints instead of bellows, whatch think!

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
me curious, 03 LB7, stock turbo adjusted to approx 30-32psi @ WOT. My drive pressure is about 45 psi at this time. drive psi is from a port i welded to to the elbow at the the top of the driver side up-pipe. Dose this seem a little on the high side? Would some bigger up-pipes give any benifit? I'd like to build my own and use some Burns Stainless slip joints instead of bellows, whatch think!

I'm about 43-45 psi DP at 40 psi boost. My gauge is plumbind in the rear of the passenger manifold normally where you would have your egt gauge plumbed in.