good article on the new lml engine

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
you guys are all ridiculous. Dont waste your breath bitching and scaring everyone else off from buying them (which loses GM money) when your concerns affect what, 2% of truck buyers? You havent even seen the damn things yet. When they come out, if they prove troublesome in those conditions where only real men work (do you want a pat on the back because you guys think you work harder and burn more sweat and tears than the rest of us? Is that it? Well CONGRADS, and thanks for busting your ass so the rest of us lazy women can sit in lounge chairs all day by the pool). Im sorry life is so tough for you that you regularly have to work in a t-shirt when its -80* when I only do girl work like replacing rusted brake lines in parking lots where its much warmer, like -20*. I hate that when people play that card, im not sure who you are trying to impress.

Overall......Im still in disbelief you guys are already dismissing this new dmax when you dont even bat an eyelash on how much failure prone junk electronics your current dmax's all rely on......drive by wire pedal assemblies, delicate high pressure injectors and pumps, perfectly timed cam/crank sensors, the list is ENDLESS.

Go buy a 12 valve for crying out loud if you dont want crap to break and dont want to rely on technology.

rant off, flame suit on...

ben

dam you were on a roll yesterday ben. i am with you on the give it a chance thing. i do feel like pat on the interval thing. it should be longer between refills.
oh and dont give me that crap about "well if you can afford a 50k dollar truck than you can buy urea" thats bull shit and you know it. what does the cost of something have to do with what people can or cant afford, or for that matter FORCED BY THE GOVT to spend. it is an unnecessary waste of money. if the .gov types really cared about the emissions the trucks were spewing dont you think they would have a more specific test laid out for the diesel world than "OPACITY" of the exhaust at idle. i went last week for my test, i had a .02 reading within the states limit of .40%. how exactly do these new emissions systems being on a truck affect the emissions, or how do we know the added costs to the truck and for the lifetime of the vehicle are actually doing anything. we dont, because they mandate the equipment, but no the testing. it is nothing more than a feel good, liberal/tree hugger policy.

the best bit of info yet, from wikipedia on NOx
"NOx react with ammonia, moisture, and other compounds to form nitric acid vapor and related particles. Small particles can penetrate deeply into sensitive lung tissue and damage it, causing premature death in extreme cases. Inhalation of such particles may cause or worsen respiratory diseases such as emphysema, bronchitis it may also aggravate existing heart disease."
urea is ammonia and carbon dioxide. so we will save the trees and kill the humans making the trees die:)

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
ok I hear of the gasser ones having issues, seeing as its exposed and kind of a ghetto setup, but you dont really hear of the diesel ones having issues.

Im wrong, the LML's are gonna come out and all fail. Dont anyone buy one. The emissions stuff is garbage. Its gonna freeze below 50* and you'll get t-boned by a 120,000lb tractor trailer and die because it went into limp mode. Junk.

ben

you want a pic of the diesel one i just did on saturday? it corroded the sensor tangs right off. there is a reason gm went from selling only complete sending units sensor and all, to selling them separately. the cost for them to warranty the sender vs just the sensor was a no brainer. it only took them 15 yrs to figure it out diesel or gas. gas are just more common because they are sold 10 to 1 against a diesel. maybe even more

Last edited:

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Your not even in the market for a new truck I dont think you can tell me to stop bitchin, I dont care about the stupid urea injection it'll prolly work, I do care about the price tag that comes with it. There comes a point when diesel is no longer a viable option. We'll see when it comes out, I have my limits on what I'd pay for the D/A option just the same as everyone else, the new chassis I can guaranty isn't worth $3-$4K more than a LMM for me anyways, funny how its mentioned a few times in this thread, "If I could afford the new LML i'd buy it" yet nothing about how it just makes it that much harder for you to even be in the market for a new truck.

BTW I thought you blocked me:hehe:

No I haven't blocked you. Good care about the price thats fine and justifiable. Saying what you posted before because you had "facts" is not credible one bit and blaming it on a liberal agenda is not a valid excuse.

Last edited:

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
you want a pic of the diesel one i just did on saturday? it corroded the sensor tangs right off. there is a reason gm went from selling only complete sending units sensor and all, to selling them separately. the cost for them to warranty the sender vs just the sensor was a no brainer. it only took them 15 yrs to figure it out diesel or gas. gas are just more common because they are sold 10 to 1 against a diesel. maybe even more

Well good luck in your new gasser. :thumb:

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
No I haven't blocked you. Good care about the price thats fine and justifiable. Saying what you posted before because you had "facts" is not credible one bit and blaming it on a liberal agenda is not a valid excuse.

The blame falls somewhere and the last I checked, Tree hugging was not on the republican's platform. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
The way this is headed it is sure to turn into a tech thread in a page or two.:D We will probably end up with a couple of the LML's. Everything gm has done so far to the duramax has improved it so I will trust in their judgment.

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa
Better get used to this shit because you're going to be seeing it on everything diesel. Cars, trucks small & large, tractors small & large, generators, pumps, lawn mowers, etc, etc. You will find urea in every convenience store and anywhere you find diesel. I don't think I will celebrate and I sure won't be cumming all over my keyboard like some here.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I don't know. They fixed a few things that we have wanted for a long time. Might hurt cognitos sales:angel: I just wish that we would have gotten the big bad allison they were talking about before they went belly up. Maybe with a dpf delete they won't use any urea:thumb:

DallesDuramax

Aug 22, 2014
The Dalles, OR
Have put about 1000 miles on mine since August and had to add 2.5 gallons of DEF after I got back from Glacier National Park. Have a picture of the DIC showing 20.1 (regen) on the phone but it had been running about 22.1-22.3 or so and it was within .2 MPG doing the math.

As for B20 diesel, my mileage went from 18.5 to 15 for that whole tank out on the freeway. This is the same thing that happens when you add ethanol to gas. It takes twice as much alcohol to run a gasoline engine as it does gas. Seems to me that biodiesel has less btu's per gallon than dino fuel.

At 10MPG in my muscle car that is 5 mpg on E100. And by the way the emissions are not deemed any better, they are just different. I do not see how adding biodiesel is doing anything for anything if your relative fuel consumption is increasing/mileage decreasing the same percentage as the biodiesel it is cut with. The emission signature just changed, it did not necessarily get better. The truth is in the tailpipe, not what the political arena has told you it is.

Lead is gone, but MTBF is as bad or worse than lead for the environment, but here we still have it in the unleaded we burn. Not to defend the car makers, but they have to find a way to comply with all the F-tard politico's to stay in business. Want to effect change, vote out every dumbazz that has a self centered agenda. That would be pretty much all of them... Has to do with that I get paid to be an idiot thing while I serve you, bend you over, well however that game goes.

My big gripe with urea is the shelf life. If they are using true "clear" water I would think it should last longer than a year. As for the "too urea or not urea" I have a truck that uses it so I will play the game. After 1000 miles that tail pipe has no visible carbon on it at all, and it only smells like a diesel when you fire it up cold and that is only for a minute or so. After that I smell nothing at all. I just feel heat on my hand. I was actually impressed when I looked at the pipe the other day.

It gets better mileage than my dads old 98 GMC K2500 with a 454 in it, and over twice the horsepower and torque. Not to mention the 10MPG thing with it. Change is here, I think we are just going to have to deal with it in our own ways.

Soap box will not hold my 204lbs, both my feet are now up my azz.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
My big gripe with urea is the shelf life. If they are using true "clear" water I would think it should last longer than a year.

1 year shelf-life for ANYTHING is pretty darn good if you ask me. Why do you need to keep it on the shelf for >1 year anyways? They sell it at every auto parts store and wal-mart now. When the truck gets low, stop by any auto parts store, grab a couple gallons, and fill'er'up.

DallesDuramax

Aug 22, 2014
The Dalles, OR
It just forces me to drive the truck a little more often than I had intended for the next 2 years. I put in 2.5 gallons a couple of months back and probably should have only added 1. When I bought the truck I did not realize the shelf life was that short on the DEF. There is probably not enough in there now that I would have a problem. It is just that it will set for at least a month or so in between use. If I was already retired it really would be a non-issue. That is my real concern over shelf life.