good article on the new lml engine

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sorry Ben, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. It's just more un-necessary crap. EGR, DOCs, DPFs, DEF, etc are all crap rammed down our throats by the tards at the "EPA" who listen to other tards like Al Gore who are running around screaming "OMG!!! GLOBAL WARMING!!". Global warming is a load of crap. The earth naturally goes through warming and cooling trends. Erupting volcanoes dump more "pollutants" out into the atmosphere in one year than we do in a decade. Are we going to start putting catalytic converters on them :rolleyes:? Emissions standards from 10 or 20 years ago where more than sufficient.

The DPF was a "special" load. Soot is CARBON. It'll settle down, wash away, break down and return to nature. It just looks "nasty" (to the enviro-nuts). BTW, what happens when it regens?? uhhh.... More "emissions"? That soot's gotta go SOMEWHERE! :rolleyes:

Instead of trying to "clean up" what's coming out, let’s try and change what's GOING IN. This country should be taking major steps towards renewable fuels like Ethanol (which does not HAVE to be made from corn for all the naysayers) and Biodiesel, both of which, besides being renewable, burn cleaner than fossil fuels.

Some may ask "what about smog" and point to LA as an example. Sorry guys, but there are reports back in history of the "smog" hanging over LA from long before the internal combustion engine was ever conceived. I don't recall the exact details, but I believe it has something to do with the topography and the wind directions.

All this crap being rammed down our throats (emissions being only one of the things) by the "government" burns me up. You will NOT see me buying another new truck unless it's a gasser (fortunately gassers have had relatively few "emissions" changes in the last 10 or so years), which isn't likely. If I buy another truck, the ABSOLUTE newest it would be is an 07 Classic. I'll drive my truck until the wheels fall off, put them back and continue driving. The only thing I like about the 01/02/03 Federal LB7's is zero "emissions" crap.

Flame away....

Rant off

The DPF thing always made me wonder too. How does burning more fuel to reduce airbourne emissions work when you have to make more fuel to replenish the extra fuel being burnt and in turn adding to emissions released from plants and equipment working in the extraction and production side of things which in turn are also doing the same thing because they too have DPF's.
Someone dropped the ball here IMO!!:rofl:

Last edited:

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Since some of us base our decisions on facts and not made up theories about global warming, I'll take a shot at this, since when has any of the new standard emissons equipment been good? Or for that matter any of the goverment mandated equipment been good? Other than driving up the cost of the base vehicle and hinders fuel mileage. Downside, how much will this drive up the already insanily expensive duramax option due to all the other goverment mandated emissons gargbage? Twin EGR's, DPF, and Urea injection? No, thanks, I'd rather own a gasser, than buy a new LML pay for a bunch of stuff that will create problems for me should I choose to not void the warranty, or pay for all of that just to remove it, let the truck operate the way it should and void my warranty. Cummins sales will increase, because of this, the diesel option will slide back into obscurity, you're going to be very hard pressed to find people that can justify the Duramax/Allison option anymore.

Well then go own a gasser and stop bitchin. ;)

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Sorry Ben, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. It's just more un-necessary crap. EGR, DOCs, DPFs, DEF, etc are all crap rammed down our throats by the tards at the "EPA" who listen to other tards like Al Gore who are running around screaming "OMG!!! GLOBAL WARMING!!". Global warming is a load of crap. The earth naturally goes through warming and cooling trends. Erupting volcanoes dump more "pollutants" out into the atmosphere in one year than we do in a decade. Are we going to start putting catalytic converters on them :rolleyes:? Emissions standards from 10 or 20 years ago where more than sufficient.

The DPF was a "special" load. Soot is CARBON. It'll settle down, wash away, break down and return to nature. It just looks "nasty" (to the enviro-nuts). BTW, what happens when it regens?? uhhh.... More "emissions"? That soot's gotta go SOMEWHERE! :rolleyes:

Instead of trying to "clean up" what's coming out, let’s try and change what's GOING IN. This country should be taking major steps towards renewable fuels like Ethanol (which does not HAVE to be made from corn for all the naysayers) and Biodiesel, both of which, besides being renewable, burn cleaner than fossil fuels.

Some may ask "what about smog" and point to LA as an example. Sorry guys, but there are reports back in history of the "smog" hanging over LA from long before the internal combustion engine was ever conceived. I don't recall the exact details, but I believe it has something to do with the topography and the wind directions.

All this crap being rammed down our throats (emissions being only one of the things) by the "government" burns me up. You will NOT see me buying another new truck unless it's a gasser (fortunately gassers have had relatively few "emissions" changes in the last 10 or so years), which isn't likely. If I buy another truck, the ABSOLUTE newest it would be is an 07 Classic. I'll drive my truck until the wheels fall off, put them back and continue driving. The only thing I like about the 01/02/03 Federal LB7's is zero "emissions" crap.

Flame away....

Rant off

You really have no clue about what its going to be like, none of us really do until people start driving the truck and realize its limitations and good points.
Don't buy a diesel then in 2011 if you think its all bad, I for one if I could afford to would buy one. Everything these days is an agenda for something so to say its only about the environmental area is not 100 percent accurate by doing the improvements and changes more than the environmental crowd are going to be pleased.

I really don't understand some of you guys, GM is reconstructing itself and trying to come out and make a good product and they have addressed some of the things that people have complained on prior trucks so I don't get why there needs to be bitching just yet...

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
The DPF thing always made me wonder too. How does burning more fuel to reduce airbourne emissions work when you have to make more fuel to replenish the extra fuel being burnt and in turn adding to emissions released from plants and equipment working in the extraction and production side of things which in turn are also doing the same thing because they too have DPF's.
Someone dropped the ball here IMO!!:rofl:

Maybe the new LML is an improvement on the theory you present. They could have figured that people were not too impressed with the REGEN cycles and figured out how to improve upon it. I am not directly saying they did that but every year they are going to come out with something better and this is a start. Sorry that the climate you live in is not conducive (sp?) to owning this truck it will definintly present you some unique challenges. However several thousands of people do not represent the majority last I checked. :)

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You really have no clue about what its going to be like, none of us really do until people start driving the truck and realize its limitations and good points.
Don't buy a diesel then in 2011 if you think its all bad, I for one if I could afford to would buy one. Everything these days is an agenda for something so to say its only about the environmental area is not 100 percent accurate by doing the improvements and changes more than the environmental crowd are going to be pleased.

I really don't understand some of you guys, GM is reconstructing itself and trying to come out and make a good product and they have addressed some of the things that people have complained on prior trucks so I don't get why there needs to be bitching just yet...

The idea behind the DEF isn't completely horrible in and of it's self, aside from the limitations GM is putting on it when it runs out, it's all the OTHER crap that's added on and DOES affect performance, longevity and economy (DOC, DPF, EGR). You won't find me buying a LMM, let alone a LML.

You're right. I don't have a clue what DEF is going to be like. I DO, however, know what EGR, DOC and DPF is like, and they all suck and are useless. EGR ie worse than uselss, you might as well run an abrasive throug the engine. They reduce economy to a dismal level and have questionable benefit. I find it funny that there are truck out there with NO DOC and NO EGR (that should have them) that are passing the sniffer test with flying colors. Kinda says something about the effectiveness of the "emissions" crap on the diesels, if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned, any emissions crap on a diesel is bad.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Maybe the new LML is an improvement on the theory you present. They could have figured that people were not too impressed with the REGEN cycles and figured out how to improve upon it. I am not directly saying they did that but every year they are going to come out with something better and this is a start. Sorry that the climate you live in is not conducive (sp?) to owning this truck it will definintly present you some unique challenges. However several thousands of people do not represent the majority last I checked. :)

I think your probably right on the REGEN thing. That had to have caught someones attention.

We may not be the majority, but if it goes the way it's speculated to, then GM may have just engineered themselves out of alot of sales in Canada.:( Like I posted earlier though-hopefully it will work with straight water to get by in an emergency. Then it won't be so bad.

Ten_Bucks

Wears a tinfoil hat
Jul 29, 2008
Placerville, California
www.facebook.com
I like everything about it except the urea injection and the independent front suspension. But I've gotten used to the IFS so I can deal with that. I wonder how long it will be before any of the tuner companies figure out a way to delete the DPF/EGR/DEF systems. I know suspension lift companies will already have lifts available for the truck by the time they start hitting the dealer lots which is what they usually do anyways. The new front end looks good but like what was said earlier, that chin spoiler has got to go.

Scott

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Won't be much longer after its release the aftermarket companies are dang good at getting products to the market for consumer use.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
I think your probably right on the REGEN thing. That had to have caught someones attention.

We may not be the majority, but if it goes the way it's speculated to, then GM may have just engineered themselves out of alot of sales in Canada.:( Like I posted earlier though-hopefully it will work with straight water to get by in an emergency. Then it won't be so bad.

I agree Canadian sales could suffer, and that sucks that a truck can't make everyone happy, but then what can?

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
The idea behind the DEF isn't completely horrible in and of it's self, aside from the limitations GM is putting on it when it runs out, it's all the OTHER crap that's added on and DOES affect performance, longevity and economy (DOC, DPF, EGR). You won't find me buying a LMM, let alone a LML. The fuel economy is supposed to better than the LMM I have no idea why you think its going to be worse because they added urea injection and some other things.

You're right. I don't have a clue what DEF is going to be like. I DO, however, know what EGR, DOC and DPF is like, and they all suck and are useless. EGR ie worse than uselss, you might as well run an abrasive throug the engine. They reduce economy to a dismal level and have questionable benefit. I find it funny that there are truck out there with NO DOC and NO EGR (that should have them) that are passing the sniffer test with flying colors. Kinda says something about the effectiveness of the "emissions" crap on the diesels, if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned, any emissions crap on a diesel is bad.
I disagree, I have some of the emissions equipment you are talking about on my LLY and have had no disappointments in fuel consumption or anything else. Like it or not emissions equipment on a car/truck is here to stay and whether or not you agree with it is a moot point. You would rather buy a car? Ok well best of luck to you on that. :)

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Economy was "supposed" to be better on the LMM too (or at least not worse than the LBZ) but that didn't quite pan out, did it? I'll belive the "better economy" on the LML when I see it. As has been statedm the DEF won't have any impact on economy; it's everything ELSE, DPF in particular..

I disagree, I have some of the emissions equipment you are talking about on my LLY and have had no disappointments in fuel consumption or anything else. Like it or not emissions equipment on a car/truck is here to stay and whether or not you agree with it is a moot point. You would rather buy a car? Ok well best of luck to you on that. :)

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I think the energy ya'll are wasting on here about this BS could be spent better. Like maybe writing you elected officials or GM, but then bitching about it here is easier.:thumb: I sure that with a lot of diesel going with Urea isn't going to be hard to fine even out in the patch. Pat makes a good point about the range, but then your looking for a spot to hide a 10 gal tank.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I think the energy ya'll are wasting on here about this BS could be spent better. Like maybe writing you elected officials or GM, but then bitching about it here is easier.:thumb: I sure that with a lot of diesel going with Urea isn't going to be hard to fine even out in the patch. Pat makes a good point about the range, but then your looking for a spot to hide a 10 gal tank.

Yeah, but bitching about it here gets us about as far, if not farther, than writing GM or our "elected" officials.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
you guys are all ridiculous. Dont waste your breath bitching and scaring everyone else off from buying them (which loses GM money) when your concerns affect what, 2% of truck buyers? You havent even seen the damn things yet. When they come out, if they prove troublesome in those conditions where only real men work (do you want a pat on the back because you guys think you work harder and burn more sweat and tears than the rest of us? Is that it? Well CONGRADS, and thanks for busting your ass so the rest of us lazy women can sit in lounge chairs all day by the pool). Im sorry life is so tough for you that you regularly have to work in a t-shirt when its -80* when I only do girl work like replacing rusted brake lines in parking lots where its much warmer, like -20*. I hate that when people play that card, im not sure who you are trying to impress.

Overall......Im still in disbelief you guys are already dismissing this new dmax when you dont even bat an eyelash on how much failure prone junk electronics your current dmax's all rely on......drive by wire pedal assemblies, delicate high pressure injectors and pumps, perfectly timed cam/crank sensors, the list is ENDLESS.

Go buy a 12 valve for crying out loud if you dont want crap to break and dont want to rely on technology.

rant off, flame suit on...

ben

Last edited:

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Well then go own a gasser and stop bitchin. ;)

Your not even in the market for a new truck I dont think you can tell me to stop bitchin, I dont care about the stupid urea injection it'll prolly work, I do care about the price tag that comes with it. There comes a point when diesel is no longer a viable option. We'll see when it comes out, I have my limits on what I'd pay for the D/A option just the same as everyone else, the new chassis I can guaranty isn't worth $3-$4K more than a LMM for me anyways, funny how its mentioned a few times in this thread, "If I could afford the new LML i'd buy it" yet nothing about how it just makes it that much harder for you to even be in the market for a new truck.

BTW I thought you blocked me:hehe:

Last edited:

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
Yep! I guess thats just what you're going to have to do! Sorry about your luck. :D

You real men can stick to your 12-valve dirt simple LMM and older trucks. I know Id buy an LML in a second if I had the money. I trust GM tested them in cold places (oh but probably not as cold as you badass rugged eskimos)

Or how bout just DONT SHUT THE TRUCK OFF. Im sure all the pessimists glossed right over the part that said it wont suddenly go into limp mode while driving if you run out of urea (or if the level sensor craps out...which, really, how likely is that...whens was the last time you heard of a GM fuel level sensor crapping out???)...it will say "speed limited upon restart".

ben

i really hope you arent serious about this part in red. i could go get the billing history of JUST the silverado level sensor for the last year.....

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
i really hope you arent serious about this part in red. i could go get the billing history of JUST the silverado level sensor for the last year.....

ok I hear of the gasser ones having issues, seeing as its exposed and kind of a ghetto setup, but you dont really hear of the diesel ones having issues.

Im wrong, the LML's are gonna come out and all fail. Dont anyone buy one. The emissions stuff is garbage. Its gonna freeze below 50* and you'll get t-boned by a 120,000lb tractor trailer and die because it went into limp mode. Junk.

ben

Last edited: