good article on the new lml engine

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
nope....you read it right....

there IS going to be a regular cab SHORT bed. It will be 2wd only though. No rc/sb 4x4,

ben
Ya, but unless they do something to further separate the 2500 and 3500 besides overloads and tires, I don't see it will be anything special (at least not to me).

Back to my earlier question, what kind of changes have they made to increase the mileage so much? Is there an article you can refer me to or something? I haven't really seen anything about them.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I agree with new tech. for the better, But there are tards that will put them selves in this situation. The same tards that don't change their oil until the "low psi" light comes on. Or the ones you pass in the middle of no where, walking with a gas can. It has no effect on how the engine operates, so why throw a safety hazard in the picture. Just make it a constant ding, ding, ding (as the wire cutters come out).

Last edited:

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
RC/SB........my dream truck now with a diesel........you guys act like if no one is gonna come up with something to delete all that crap,so we could be left with the good stuff only.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
nope....you read it right....

there IS going to be a regular cab SHORT bed. It will be 2wd only though. No rc/sb 4x4,

ben

i though so! too much stuff on my mind right now :confused:. Well sweet, ill be lookin into it then. Shouldnt be to hard like mike said to put 4x4 in it. could you get a NBS with a manual t-case?

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
So far the only draw back if you buy a new truck is modding it not the urea when it arrives. My friend just bought a 2010 and talked to the dealer where he bought it. They told them that now the dealership has to before ANY work is done read the ecm and send it to GM before any parts can be warrantied. If they see it's been changed they flag your truck and warranty is no longer good. Since the gov got involved with GM they want these steps taken according to that service manager. His brake controller and traction control screwed up and this process was taken before they could order the parts to fix it even though it had nothing to do with the motor or drivetrain and they told him if it was changed they wouldnt/can't fix it under warranty. There are ways around everything if you know the right person at the right dealership. The urea dosen't bother me and could be good as far as keeping the epa off our backs. Technology is a good thing if it keeps advancement going.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I have a nbs work truck with a manual t case. Only reason that I can see for not making a 4x4 reg cab short bed is that with the combined lenght of the allison and a t case there's probably not to much room left for a driveshaft:D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
come on, you're gonna have at least 1000 miles of warning!!!!!!

Doesnt your truck stop when it runs out of fuel? Well shit I guess thats a safety issue too then, if you run out of fuel while crossing a busy intersection...think about it that way. Its not like you are cruising along then whoa holy crap omg im out of urea and stuck in the middle of the desert going 5mph. :rolleyes:
:doh:

Maybe that's fine for you city slickers, but where alot of us work 1000 miles isn't enough. For instance-where Simon is working right now, he's at least 1000miles from the nearest place that might sell this urea crap. Maybe even more. Fuel he can get 25 steps from where he works and it's free. Sure maybe a guy can buy some extra and bring it with but this doesn't always work. Maybe a guy forgets to buy extra, someone else with a urea system steals it out of your truck, etc.....

My point is the de-rating thing isn't ideal for everyone. Annoying light and maybe a ding ding ding is acceptable. Limiting speed to 5mph isn't so therefore shouldn't be added to these trucks!

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
:yup: However, I am sure the new version of PPE and EFI LIVE will be able to take care of that toot sweet. Sure it will limp us home about as much as I have a speed limiter on my truck and my tire size affects my speedo :) lol

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Another thing. Your 500 miles from nowhere NWT/Yukon/Alberta/BC and your level switch for the urea craps its pants. It's -45C outside. Are you going to have to drive 5mph till you meet someone else to help you out? Which might be several hours or even a day or more!!!

:gay:

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
:yup: However, I am sure the new version of PPE and EFI LIVE will be able to take care of that toot sweet. Sure it will limp us home about as much as I have a speed limiter on my truck and my tire size affects my speedo :) lol

Good point, but then there goes your warranty.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Your extra urea got stolen. The jug froze and busted and now is empty in the back of your truck. Your roughy dumped it out so he could fill it with oil to top up engines on lease. Your roughy stepped on the jug and busted it when he was filling up your truck/equipment. One of your guys threw it into the back of the truck to make room in the backseat for gear/guys/beer!

All this stuff can and has happened in the past! I guarantee it will be an issue that many are going to have!!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
yes you can

awesome. that makes the install easier then

I have a nbs work truck with a manual t case. Only reason that I can see for not making a 4x4 reg cab short bed is that with the combined lenght of the allison and a t case there's probably not to much room left for a driveshaft:D

well there are always was to fix that :D

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Maybe if you work on an oil derrick or something like that. I can see what your saying actually happen but its not as common as you would think. Most of the population will not have the problem you will have because your situation is unique.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Me and the other several thousand Chevy owners that work in the patch. Not as unique as you might think.......

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Warranty

Good point, but then there goes your warranty.

Most likely...however, same happens with methanol, twins, most of the gear from our fine vendors, and most things that make having a diesel worth while.

As I always say "If you get warranty, you're not trying hard enough"...well this is the first time I said it...I'll probaby always say it from now on though :D

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Sorry Ben, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. It's just more un-necessary crap. EGR, DOCs, DPFs, DEF, etc are all crap rammed down our throats by the tards at the "EPA" who listen to other tards like Al Gore who are running around screaming "OMG!!! GLOBAL WARMING!!". Global warming is a load of crap. The earth naturally goes through warming and cooling trends. Erupting volcanoes dump more "pollutants" out into the atmosphere in one year than we do in a decade. Are we going to start putting catalytic converters on them :rolleyes:? Emissions standards from 10 or 20 years ago where more than sufficient.

The DPF was a "special" load. Soot is CARBON. It'll settle down, wash away, break down and return to nature. It just looks "nasty" (to the enviro-nuts). BTW, what happens when it regens?? uhhh.... More "emissions"? That soot's gotta go SOMEWHERE! :rolleyes:

Instead of trying to "clean up" what's coming out, let’s try and change what's GOING IN. This country should be taking major steps towards renewable fuels like Ethanol (which does not HAVE to be made from corn for all the naysayers) and Biodiesel, both of which, besides being renewable, burn cleaner than fossil fuels.

Some may ask "what about smog" and point to LA as an example. Sorry guys, but there are reports back in history of the "smog" hanging over LA from long before the internal combustion engine was ever conceived. I don't recall the exact details, but I believe it has something to do with the topography and the wind directions.

All this crap being rammed down our throats (emissions being only one of the things) by the "government" burns me up. You will NOT see me buying another new truck unless it's a gasser (fortunately gassers have had relatively few "emissions" changes in the last 10 or so years), which isn't likely. If I buy another truck, the ABSOLUTE newest it would be is an 07 Classic. I'll drive my truck until the wheels fall off, put them back and continue driving. The only thing I like about the 01/02/03 Federal LB7's is zero "emissions" crap.

Flame away....

Rant off

Last edited: