• Yes

• No

• Why?

• Waste of Time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shenadoah75

Aug 27, 2024
FL
Reading your other thread I do think your EGTs are higher than they should be unloaded. What are you seeing empty on cruise for EGTs? This may be putting unnecessary heat into the oil, you also wouldn't be the first one with elevated cruise EGTs with Motor Ops tuning.
Exactly. I finally noticed this connection the other day when digging through every oil temp related post I could find. I will get a revised test on beltway when I can and report back. You have any other params you want enforced? Certain speed/rpm? Assuming tune 4 (sport economy) and letting it lockup in 6th gear is ok?

the fact I had the edge oil temp (in the cooler port) pegged at its max reading most of the drive from AL to central Florida has be worried. I don’t know just how hot above 300 it was. I should have bought an IR gun to check it.

I’ve got so much money into this build, it’s become a case that I have to make it work at this point. In hindsight, not sure I ever would have pursued it. It’s been 1.5 years of frustration and empty promises - great concept - endless execution trying to get there. Anyways…

As to the L5P, I wish I had never mentioned Banks. I bought the kit because I’m lazy to assemble separately and because of the oil temp port. Sorry feel like I took away from the post by mentioning it

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Exactly. I finally noticed this connection the other day when digging through every oil temp related post I could find. I will get a revised test on beltway when I can and report back. You have any other params you want enforced? Certain speed/rpm? Assuming tune 4 (sport economy is ok)?
Honestly you're looking for just some sense of average. I would guess that vehicle to be in the 600-700F area cruising on the flats. Any tune realistically is fine. I will say, SOTF is not helping you on this one. SOTF for an LML (on a high level) is nothing more than a digital throttle stop. A tow tune should have a vastly different timing curve than a max effort file, with SOTF that is not the case.

SOTF for 11-16 is nothing like a DSP5 tune for 01-10 since the earlier generations actually would have different tables.

the fact I had the edge oil temp (in the cooler port) pegged at its max reading most of the drive from AL to central Florida has be worried. I don’t know just how hot above 300 it was. I should have bought an IR gun to check it.

I’ve got a so much money into this build, it’s a case that I have to make it work at this point. In hindsight, not sure I ever would have pursued it.
With an IR gun what is the pan temp and filter canister temp compared to the edge probe?

Personally I think the edge probe is to blame and may not be reading properly as that is very very high oil temp and I would imagine you'd see a major drop in pressure at that point to where it was in the teens. Is it the single wire or dual wire probe?

As to the L5P, I wish I had never mentioned Banks. I bought the kit because I’m lazy to assemble separately and because of the oil temp port. Sorry feel like I took away from the post by mentioning it
Nah, no worries at all!

Shenadoah75

Aug 27, 2024
FL
Personally I think the edge probe is to blame and may not be reading properly as that is very very high oil temp and I would imagine you'd see a major drop in pressure at that point to where it was in the teens. Is it the single wire or dual wire probe?
, no worries at all!
Single wire. I will say now that I have both a sensor in the cooler and in the pan , they seem accurate at start up/ambient and once warmed up, they’re fairly in sync with each other…

But let me get a gun, do some testing.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Shenadoah75

Aug 27, 2024
FL
Reactions: Dozerboy

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/fuel-cooler.38306/page-8

posts 152, 153, 162 (last one is from Chris)

This help? Wasn't kidding, I’ve literally been digging through every post I can find on temps since last year :(
I like the placement in post 152, that may be considered for sure! If so, I bet I'll have to use the larger setrab BUT it would keep things cleaner and out of the way.

Some high quality threaded inserts (rivnuts) and boom done.

All things to think on!

Reactions: Shenadoah75

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
As most of you know, I run monster 3" dia by 24" long liquid to liquid to oil coolers on the marine builds. With the PPE 12AN block adapter, [which I have one that I keep kicking around under my desk if anyone needs] feeding the cooler and HP6 filter head. While I typically don't run stock water pumps, I've always thought that transfer tube assembly and brick left plenty of room for improvement within the constraints of the chassis.

And for size reference, my biggest issue I have now with oil, is getting up to a decent 190F without running the piss out of them. But in boat ya have a unlimited supply of 70F water flow thru the cooler, and no thermostat.

The other trick I've shared and do on any marine oil cooling upgrade is the Fuel Temp to Oil Temp Sensor mod. Somewhere here I posted the part# for off the shelf temp sensor with matching scale to OEM fuel rail sensor. Because fuel temp is not really used in the tunes, only as emergencey line pressure drop on fuel overtemp, yet that temp PID can be observed on any CTS or scan tool. Makes a clean and easy oil temp value on the dash, if ya have the correct hole for this ORB sensor.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/fuel-cooler.38306/page-8

posts 152, 153, 162 (last one is from Chris)

This help? Wasn't kidding, I’ve literally been digging through every post I can find on temps since last year :(
No, because that's different from how Mike did his fuel cooler on the frame. Any way, did some digging and found the images are still up over on DP...

He used the seatrab brackets and just went straight to the frame for the Fuel cooler. In typical fashion the thread is useless but there were 2 images. He also states elsewhere after he stopped trying to offer them, this is the FP920M22I from Setrab.

I suspect An oil cooler could be done in this fashion as well.

HDFP0001.jpgHDFP0002.jpg

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
No, because that's different from how Mike did his fuel cooler on the frame. Any way, did some digging and found the images are still up over on DP...

He used the seatrab brackets and just went straight to the frame for the Fuel cooler. In typical fashion the thread is useless but there were 2 images. He also states elsewhere after he stopped trying to offer them, this is the FP920M22I from Setrab.

I suspect An oil cooler could be done in this fashion as well.

View attachment 125734View attachment 125735
I really like this mounting. I will need to verify space on an ECSB and RCSB but I would love to use the FP360S-M22I from Setrab in this location if possible.

Reactions: 1FastBrick