• Yes

• No

• Why?

• Waste of Time

Results are only viewable after voting.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Oh it’s been fine and leak free. I just don’t have a need to have it in the truck.

I’m getting to the point I want this thing back “original” to an extent. Might as well do it while I can still get some OE parts
You feeling ok???

Hate2Looz

Jul 31, 2020
Michigan
I could be interested in one of these, if they were to mount up in front of the rad somewhere. Not a fan of another cooler under the truck. In the rust belt, it most likely will not last long.

Shenadoah75

Aug 27, 2024
FL
Johnmyster pointed me to this thread. I’m interested and would happily offer to be a tester. I’ve read every post I can find on this topic dating back years. Malibu’s summary of his dual cooler experiments was great but his pics are gone.

Hiowever, im concerned the fluidyne isn’t going to be large enough for situations like mine:

The edge oil temp sensor had maxed at 300 sustained on occasion, including a trip home from FL to AL. Coolant never broke 195 from what I recall. EGTs were 10-1300+ but 1200 range is most common. I’ve seen them hit 1450 once but quickly learned to put in tow haul and 5th gear to knock that back a bit.

Ive seen my idle/ just above idle psi drop in the 20s-30s. At those levels. I’m a little reluctant to rely on sandwhich plate and stock oil pump/path. I am all put sold on tapping the pan, adding a turbowerx pump for a seperate circuit. Yes this would be well out of your price range, but the btus required to drop temps like I’m seeing is only available like setrab’s FP980M22I-4P or slightly smaller models like the FP948M221. The first would allow using the Dakota digital fan controller to activate the pump + 1 fan at say 215-220
and kicking on second stage fan at another threshold 230-240?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I could be interested in one of these, if they were to mount up in front of the rad somewhere. Not a fan of another cooler under the truck. In the rust belt, it most likely will not last long.
I thought about it. My concern is that only makes the issue worse for 01-05 vehicles. The OEM radiator is already marginal in hotter climates with added power, as such I do not want to add any more heat to the cooling stack. I can put them in-between the frame horns behind the splash shield but then I am getting into baffling/directing airflow. It's not hard, just another step. This also makes it impossible for customers to purchase the cooler towing aux radiator kit in the future as they mount their cooler in this location.

I too live in the rust belt. Seeing that most fuel coolers I've dealt with on OEM trucks are 20yrs old and still in service I think the concern is real but not highly likely to be a problem. I've already planned on making brackets out of stainless using stainless hardware for this reason.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Johnmyster pointed me to this thread. I’m interested and would happily offer to be a tester. I’ve read every post I can find on this topic dating back years. Malibu’s summary of his dual cooler experiments was great but his pics are gone.

Hiowever, im concerned the fluidyne isn’t going to be large enough for situations like mine:

The edge oil temp sensor had maxed at 300 sustained on occasion, including a trip home from FL to AL. Coolant never broke 195 from what I recall. EGTs were 10-1300+ but 1200 range is most common. I’ve seen them hit 1450 once but quickly learned to put in tow haul and 5th gear to knock that back a bit.
I don't doubt this coolers ability to pull heat but that is the joy of testing parts! It's actually close to the FP948M221 at 176.25in2/~528.75in3 vs 207.12in2/379.04in3. The Fluidyine has more core volume but slightly lower surface area in a 2 dimensional view. The Fluidyine cooler I spec'd also has a higher flowing fan at 1375 CFM compared to the 1242 CFM of the Setrab unit. Long story short, there's many ways to skin a cat! Setrab is another cooler I was looking at but in a smaller size depending on packaging.

I'll be curious to see how the thermal performance of this setup is once I get the brackets finished up.

Ive seen my idle/ just above idle psi drop in the 20s-30s. At those levels. I’m a little reluctant to rely on sandwhich plate and stock oil pump/path. I am all put sold on tapping the pan, adding a turbowerx pump for a seperate circuit. Yes this would be well out of your price range, but the btus required to drop temps like I’m seeing is only available like setrab’s FP980M22I-4P or slightly smaller models like the FP948M221. The first would allow using the Dakota digital fan controller to activate the pump + 1 fan at say 215-220
and kicking on second stage fan at another threshold 230-240?
I think that's a bit overkill. I say this because James (@Chevy1925) is probably one of the hardest guys on his truck and has higher oil thermal load than probably anyone. He ran a the 2020 cooler and a smaller external cooler than I spec'd and did not have many oil related issues at ~600-650whp towing file with compounds, big tires, and more weight. James lives in Arizona which is just about the "worst case scenario" as it's very hilly and one of the hottest states in the USA.

The Banks "cooler upgrade" is nothing but a 30%-40% marked up GM cooler, nothing more or special to it. They are a MAJOR improvement over the 01-16 coolers and a decent upgrade over the 17-19 coolers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shenadoah75

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
7d3ab48784e0564588baaeead56c0dfb.jpg

Shenadoah75

Aug 27, 2024
FL
👍 a few follow ups:

With sandwich plate, could this work with amsoil bypass? Or could the ports on the cooler be offered as an option if not?

For those of us with the L5P cooler upgrade, would Sandwich plate would maintain m22 or adapt to 13/16 for better oil filter comparability with correct bypass psi.

I’m assuming you’re looking at 30613? Only option I see on their site is 1/2 NPT, that’s equivalent to -an8 / 1/2” I.d. hose?

Thx again

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
👍 a few follow ups:

With sandwich plate, could this work with amsoil bypass? Or could the ports on the cooler be offered as an option if not?
With an Amsoil system you’re on your own. They’re an extremely limited use case that doesn’t offer much benefit over a high quality synthetic media filter.

I don’t know what you mean by the ports on the cooler being offered as an option?

For those of us with the L5P cooler upgrade, would Sandwich plate would maintain m22 or adapt to 13/16 for better oil filter comparability with correct bypass psi.
I will be keeping them M22 on the 20+ cooler kits. GM has already done the R&D to determine this works for oil flow.

All kits will come with an Amsoil synthetic media filter.

9/5 Edit: Looks like 20+ filter (EAO17) is 18-24psi on the bypass where the 01-19 (EAO52) is 11-17psi. I doubt this will make much of a difference as the new L5P runs this filter without any issue.

I’m assuming you’re looking at 30613? Only option I see on their site is 1/2 NPT, that’s equivalent to -an8 / 1/2” I.d. hose?

Thx again
While the cooler is correct, that assumes I’m not modifying the cooler or having them build me a run of coolers.

Current plan is to modify the cooler at low production volumes. If volumes are large enough they’ll be a special run at Fluidyne. This was an initial concern I had as well. I need to get my calipers but last time I compared a 1/2 NPT to a 12 JIC, the JIC was larger but not my an insane amount. A -12 Parker steel fitting is real close or possibly larger than the ID if the oil filter nipple.

I planned on tackling that issue later after the brackets are completed.

Last edited:

Shenadoah75

Aug 27, 2024
FL
I don’t know what you mean by the ports on the cooler being offered as an option?
Sorry meant using oil ports on the block instead of sandwich plate. I think some tap those for 2nd turbo feed? Would still have the diameter restriction I voiced so probably not a good idea ?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Sorry meant using oil ports on the block instead of sandwich plate. I think some tap those for 2nd turbo feed? Would still have the diameter restriction I voiced so probably not a good idea ?
I've seen the oil cooler/oil filter relocation parts from PPE and a few others. This would work if someone wanted to mount their filter elsewhere and is certainly an option but I think that's not needed at all for 99.99999% of customers.

To me, that is needed when there simply isn't space for the OEM cooler/filter mount to be present.

I also can't say I've seen someone use those ports for a turbo oil feed, everyone typically uses the main galley ports that are plugged and run down each side of the block.

Reading your other thread I do think your EGTs are higher than they should be unloaded. What are you seeing empty on cruise for EGTs? This may be putting unnecessary heat into the oil, you also wouldn't be the first one with elevated cruise EGTs with Motor Ops tuning.

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The Banks "cooler upgrade" is nothing but a 30%-40% marked up GM cooler, nothing more or special to it. They are a MAJOR improvement over the 01-16 coolers and a decent upgrade over the 17-19 coolers.
The only benefit of his kit is that they come with a fitting that is already screwed in for a sensor. Hardly worth the markup for a fitting though...

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Wasn't the FP920M22I from Setrab the cooler that Mike L was using as a fuel cooler in the past?
I believe so.

Setrab FP360S-M22I is the other cooler I want to try. It's easier to fit and could be mounted parallel to the frame similar to how Mike mounted the fuel coolers. I do wish I could find some images of how/where Mike mounted them..........

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I believe so.

Setrab FP360S-M22I is the other cooler I want to try. It's easier to fit and could be mounted parallel to the frame similar to how Mike mounted the fuel coolers. I do wish I could find some images of how/where Mike mounted them..........
Yeah they have all but disappeared... the only possibility is to find a thread that had the pictures and try the wayback machine to see if it has a capture with the pictures still present.