Duraflite

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Billet parts is one thing and internal mods is another

flaring past 5000 is a converter issue not trans, IMO tuning can fix it but.it's just a bandaid it's not actually fixing the issue but that is just my opinion

as far as mods goes if you want specs you would have to ask the builders.

I forgot to add the billets parts, Simon was the fins layed over in your old convertor making the stall speed way higher and the no convertor lock issue making problems even worse?

I doubt I would get any specs out of anyone since I'm the type of guy that does everything on my own, plus I understand why limited info is shared since someone in the know how edumacate's someone in the notnohow now has a competitor :eek: I'd rather blow mine up 2-3 times and learn something instead of handing someone my stuff and cash and say fix it. I'm hardheaded :angel:

Line pressure on a full race tranny is surely higher than JoeBlow's (me) off the shelf SC kit i'm sure, 6 speed C-1,2 assembly in a 5 speed, probably getting rid of the cutback issue completely in 5-6 is another, I know larger clearance's slows apply speed as does a wave plate but some of that stuff could be corrected in our limited tcm tuning (tie ups). Bad thing is slower shifts to save parts is slower ET's thats why poeple are jumpin the Ally ship. :giveup: :D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Converter was brand new from suncoast 1053
first time out it did that 5400 stuff second time out I was shifting right around 38-3900 rpm

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Forward clutches Josh, everything else looked like it was just installed. The programming looks good, but there was a stuck pressure valve in the valve body. Caused the problem, or was caused by the problem? That's what I'll find out tomorrow.

Truck is in the trailer and ready to...shoot, I don't know. Hopefully I can put a few gassers on the trailer. Pro tree, so I have a bit of an advantage there.

:thumb:..... Good Luck Rob!! I was sad to see Maxed Out go down in Topeka I was really looking forward to watching ya race that Dodge:( Good to hear it's going again

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
flaring past 5000 is a converter issue not trans, IMO tuning can fix it but.it's just a bandaid it's not actually fixing the issue but that is just my opinion

In White Out's case it's the tranny, it has a SC-5 in it now that was 2 years old with god knows how much beating it took when I bought the truck. It has also been loaned out to a friend when his 6 speed was shipped of to get fixed my Mike L and then in White Out.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Forward clutches Josh, everything else looked like it was just installed. The programming looks good, but there was a stuck pressure valve in the valve body. Caused the problem, or was caused by the problem? That's what I'll find out tomorrow.

Truck is in the trailer and ready to...shoot, I don't know. Hopefully I can put a few gassers on the trailer. Pro tree, so I have a bit of an advantage there.
Awesome, Rob. I hope you do/did well this weekend. Is the trans that failed from SunCoast or Ultimate?

I hate working on Dodge transmissions. They're a PITA!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
So was it sent back and a new/rebuilt one recieved?

It was the same converter that flared the week before!

I'm not at liberty to say more,but Trent helped me with the problom and the fix was cheap!

There is a problom when you get to high hp and that is there are very few that have it and even less that care to share this info! Some people get perks and have a obligation to send certains messages.

I followed Pat for a long time and he posted a ton of info for me to follow for free:) Trent does the same so I take what I can get:angel:

I've been pretty lucky with my motor as it's now on the 4th season and still seems strong... Ted and I will tear it down this winter and see what we find
I afaik am the only person running cunningham rods and 1 of 4 people running arias forged pistons. I've also had my motor balanced different than the norm and actually against the norm:( but so far it's been great!) expensive when you get balancers and fly wheels as I need true custom

I've only been above 750 for this season but compression test are done reg pn Abby and num 6 cyl has always been low? By 50 psi but none of the test have come back less than 5 psi from the first test after break in:)

I have learned a lot along the way and would prob do things different next time. But it's my passion:angel: I have past the point of no return with Abby
but one pass and I forget about all the late nights and money and would not trade that feeling for the world!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
In White Out's case it's the tranny, it has a SC-5 in it now that was 2 years old with god knows how much beating it took when I bought the truck. It has also been loaned out to a friend when his 6 speed was shipped of to get fixed my Mike L and then in White Out.

My trans took tons of beatings the only thing I don't do is burn outs!
Nothing IMO in the trans will stop a flareing shift jmho

you get above 750 hp and there are a lot of combined things that Need to be adressed. But for flaring shifts it has nothing to do with the actual trans. Jmho

hopefully mike will fix your issue.:)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

you get above 750 hp and there are a lot of combined things that Need to be adressed. But for flaring shifts it has nothing to do with the actual trans. Jmho

Simon, I disagree with this statement. In my experience, flared shifts are more often than not a transmission problem. Most of the time it is caused by the TCM not being learned after a new ECM tune or changes in the transmission (i.e. new clutches or valve body parts), but I have personally never seen a converter cause flared shifts.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Simon, I disagree with this statement. In my experience, flared shifts are more often than not a transmission problem. Most of the time it is caused by the TCM not being learned after a new ECM tune or changes in the transmission (i.e. new clutches or valve body parts), but I have personally never seen a converter cause flared shifts.

Well I do agree with your statement and perhaps could of worded it differentl
it's not a typical flared shift.

Quite possible I'm wrong but I don't believe I am.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Josh also your dissagreeing with me. I said to ken that mike or Bd rebuilding his trans still won't help. and your right as it won't! The tcm is going to freak even more.

But I know what you where trying to say and that is the converter ain't the issue.:)

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Simon, thanks for the reply. I totaly understand that more can't be said that's just the way it goes. I would never survive as a business person because I'm to eager to help and give stuff away for free.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
It is possible to cure the flared shift problems but is not just as simple as A+B=C , its a lot of little details , tunning , trans , TCM being learned , converter lock up , ect , in this vid i see no point where the trans cost me anything ET wise , the 60ft was soft ( 1.6 -1.7 ) from leaving a little too hard , and the turbo's took a bit to light from the leaking header which can be heard plain as day while i'm staging .

[YOUTUBE]Kslsg7m58wk[/YOUTUBE]

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
It is possible to cure the flared shift problems but is not just as simple as A+B=C , its a lot of little details , tunning , trans , TCM being learned , converter lock up , ect , in this vid i see no point where the trans cost me anything ET wise , the 60ft was soft ( 1.6 -1.7 ) from leaving a little too hard , and the turbo's took a bit to light from the leaking header which can be heard plain as day while i'm staging .

[YOUTUBE]Kslsg7m58wk[/YOUTUBE]

I would say very nice. Couldn't even really tell it was defueling to shift.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I'd say those Allison shifts are pretty f'n good...I have NOS stuff in the garage when you're ready...Heck, I'll even drive if ur scared;)

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008

agree 100%. ken when i made my post about tuning i wasnt trying to step on toes but simply tell you what ive encountered. ive ran a lot of different tuning from different people, my trans always shifted like shit on wot runs in big hp tunes until tony tuned it. i had no flaring on my 10 second runs. and that was only the 2nd and 3rd time the trans had ever seen that tune.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

I missed this one , I agree Simon , but that is assuming the trans was built right to begin with setup with big power in mind.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Guess I didn't make myself clear enough. The tranny that is currently in White Out is the old untouched SC-5 that is now almost 4 years old that came with the truck when I bought it, and has never been touched. I don't know how much it was beat on before I bought the truck. The tranny that was build to be White Out's race tranny has never been right from the get go. It was one Rob bought from a guy and then it was built with billet shafts etc. It has something fatally flawed in it somewhere and we can't seem to find it. It locks up over heats and snapped the billet input shaft just driving it down the street on street tires.

It will go back in to White Out as soon as we think it's fixed. Rob put the old SC-5 in the truck because it, (white out) had something else going weird in it, which turned out to be a bad ECM. He fixed it, took it to the track and ran the 10.7, 130+ on the old tranny and it was flairing bad (5000+rpm). Yes it could have been a number of things all which have been mentioned above. It doesn't alter the fact that the Allison doesn't shift as quick as the duriflite, (Jerry will attest to that), and is 100 lbs lighter if you care about weight. I'd like to keep the Allison in White Out because it is a street truck and I plan on driving it to some of the closer events next year.

I'm glad that strides are being made with the Allison and I'm all ears if some of you tranny guru's care to share.:D