Duraflite

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
if i remember correct, Buck told me when i asked him about the duraflite on the raod that it can be done but would not be as good as the allison due to gear ratio. now i cant remember if this was for the 6spd only or both.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
In the end it would be to each their own. I have yet to hear an allison shift on any truck running low 10's or high 9's like one does with a duraflite. This debate will go on forever. I guess once the allison runs as fast as one with a durafilte then the argument can somewhat stop. I mean max effort to compare. Maxed out ran 9.70's in Topeka as clean as a stock truck running down the track on one pass on dot tires. Buck has ran 115-117 mph in the 1/8th in the 6.0's range. Neither of these have been ran all out yet this year. As far as holding hp that all depends on the build of the trans too. Has anyone ever sliped a fully built trans on a dyno holding in one gear? Most problems are during a shift. Like Osubeaver stated...if neither will last, might as well get the most out of what you got.

My trans was shifting great the last time at the track 7 passes all above 140 mph
Jmo but from many friends that are hardcore gas drag racers and telling them I want the best trans and then tell them I want to build up a oem to handle this....... I get this look:confused::screwy:

I also ran 117 in the 8th I don't see what that means?
Yes I like the tall gears and it sounds great but I don't buy parts based on how it sounds

A gain in et can be simply from weight reduction... Something to consider
and yes my truck is very streetable just like maxed out is:D

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
Buck ran some great times 8th mile with the ally. it was the 1/4 that was always the trouble. also havnt ran an allison in a few years now so im sure they are better than they were. are they as good as a duraflite remains to be seem. dflight is very streetable but from a dail driving/towing/mileage standpoint, i think the ally is better. the dflight will perform well but not as well rounded as the ally. the dflight will exceed in racing. if you drop .2 by switching trannys the money is hard to justify for,others not so much,however when starting a new build its not that much more exspensive. as far as 60 fts ran better ones with the ally. also running just a hair under 120 in the 8th now fuel only... trying for 5s on fuel then gonna spray it again...

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
Also is it just me but swap the converter is what 400 plus s/h
you can replace Worn clutches for that.

true but this assumes you can rebuild you r own tranny.if not its much cheaper to send off a tc con for refresh than a tranny fir rebuild. whatever works best for the situation i guess....

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
true but this assumes you can rebuild you r own tranny.if not its much cheaper to send off a tc con for refresh than a tranny fir rebuild. whatever works best for the situation i guess....

I don't know anyone running 10s or lower that doesn't either do there own work or have a freind that knows how to replace clutches

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
no not retail. but by the time you ship it both ways,pay for clutches ext and some labor it does add up. i plan to start playing with a core tranny i have and see if its as easy as they claim...

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
My trans was shifting great the last time at the track 7 passes all above 140 mph
Jmo but from many friends that are hardcore gas drag racers and telling them I want the best trans and then tell them I want to build up a oem to handle this....... I get this look:confused::screwy:

Yes I like the tall gears and it sounds great but I don't buy parts based on how it sounds

Lol...what it means is all the shifting the alli does from first gear on in the 1/8th kills et. Arent you really light already?

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Sweetdiesel you need to run the same style setup as I believe his name was Sullivan?? did in Topeka. Or someone does so the dmax can hold or try and get the record for mph and et if possible. Then again god only knows the cost in that.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV

Well I commend you for hanging with the Allison. You had all those passes over 140 and still in the 10's. Switch to quicker shifting and lighter tranny like the duraflite and get into the 9's and be an instant 100 lbs+ lighter. If Mike L or Big Dipper can get one to shift like a duraflite I hang in there. I just don't see it happening. Too much stuff going on in the shifts and the computer way too smart for simple dumb ass drag racing. Jerry got a manual valve body and shifter when he bought his duraflite, I'd really like to see how it would do drag racing, shift light and shift like the gassers.:eek::D Would be interesting.

Paint we are still waiting for your explanation of why you are so troubled by the duraflite controller? Inquiring minds want to know.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Jerry got a manual valve body and shifter when he bought his duraflite, I'd really like to see how it would do drag racing, shift light and shift like the gassers.:eek::D Would be interesting.

If you really want to know, I'll make you a good deal and you can try it out.:D

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
Well if you have ever driven a full out big HP dmax with both then the decision would be easy. Yes both will break, yes the Duraflite likes it's TC changed about every 20-25 passes. You will cut about 2-3/10 at least off your et by going to a Duraflite. We raced one last year all year without issue. This year we have had problems, mainly with the TC. For a full out, yet streetable Duramax I think it's a better option. Look at the quick 50 list. The first 5 are not even real trucks, #6, 7, 10, 11, and 13 are all Duraflites and the last two are just getting started. I have an Allison in White Out. It ran 10.7 with a tranny that was flairing to over 5000rpm on the shifts. If I had a Duraflite in it, it runs 10.5's easy.

If I were starting out and wasn't trying to make a low 9 to mid 10 sec truck, then I have an Allison. If I did and and still wanted to street drive the truck a little then it would be a Durafite.

tuning has some to do with your problems. my truck always flared on shifts until tony tuned my truck. on my 10.7 passes the trans shifted better then it ever did before.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well I commend you for hanging with the Allison. You had all those passes over 140 and still in the 10's. Switch to quicker shifting and lighter tranny like the duraflite and get into the 9's and be an instant 100 lbs+ lighter. If Mike L or Big Dipper can get one to shift like a duraflite I hang in there. I just don't see it happening. Too much stuff going on in the shifts and the computer way too smart for simple dumb ass drag racing. Jerry got a manual valve body and shifter when he bought his duraflite, I'd really like to see how it would do drag racing, shift light and shift like the gassers.:eek::D Would be interesting.

Paint we are still waiting for your explanation of why you are so troubled by the duraflite controller? Inquiring minds want to know.

true, but i really believe we are knockin down the doors on what a allison can do and do well in. Wasnt long ago the alli couldnt do anything near what they are doin today. IMOP and from what i have seen and gathered, i dont think the duraflite has much more to gain in technology or major progression in the sport. though clutches can get better and/or TC's but I think the allison will be the way to go down the road as due to how much computer control there is. I dont know if the duraflite has as much computer control as an allison but with the speed computers are reaching now a days and tuning software that is continually being updated, i see the allison becoming something of a contender in teh next few years. we have already seen the progression of clutch packs and how they have improved over the years, now its what can we do with tuning and making the computer faster and more knowledgable

This is all form what i gathered and could be completely off base but i dont think the allison has been put to its full blown potential yet in a drag truck........IMOP :D

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
true, but i really believe we are knockin down the doors on what a allison can do and do well in. Wasnt long ago the alli couldnt do anything near what they are doin today. IMOP and from what i have seen and gathered, i dont think the duraflite has much more to gain in technology or major progression in the sport. though clutches can get better and/or TC's but I think the allison will be the way to go down the road as due to how much computer control there is. I dont know if the duraflite has as much computer control as an allison but with the speed computers are reaching now a days and tuning software that is continually being updated, i see the allison becoming something of a contender in teh next few years. we have already seen the progression of clutch packs and how they have improved over the years, now its what can we do with tuning and making the computer faster and more knowledgable

This is all form what i gathered and could be completely off base but i dont think the allison has been put to its full blown potential yet in a drag truck........IMOP :D

I appreciate what you are saying. The problem is, if that potential is there, somebody really smart needs to make it available. EFI Live doesn't seem to have any interest in it. I know Destroked has a "stand-alone" Allison TCM (uses reflashed stock TCM I believe). I was going maybe mess around with it until the Ally shit the bed the last time. Already had the Duraflite sitting around so it went in the truck.

I'd be curious if anybody has tried, or will try, the Destroked controller.