Duraflite

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
tuning has some to do with your problems. my truck always flared on shifts until tony tuned my truck. on my 10.7 passes the trans shifted better then it ever did before.

Rob is my tuner and he's is on par or better than anyone out there. It not tuning, it a the tranny and to it's credit, it's an old Suncoast 5 that has beeen around since 2008 at least. Other tranny had been problematic at best. Sorry guys these Allisons just flat don't shift near fast enough, how else can you explain the instant 2 to 3 tenth's gain in et with damn near the same MPH??

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I appreciate what you are saying. The problem is, if that potential is there, somebody really smart needs to make it available. EFI Live doesn't seem to have any interest in it. I know Destroked has a "stand-alone" Allison TCM (uses reflashed stock TCM I believe). I was going maybe mess around with it until the Ally shit the bed the last time. Already had the Duraflite sitting around so it went in the truck.

I'd be curious if anybody has tried, or will try, the Destroked controller.

completely understand, guess what i was gettin at is that major computer control over the trans will be the next thing over the minimal computer control the duraflite has. I overstepped in sayin teh allison may not have reached it full potential but more that its started on a new path where i think the future is for the diesel trans. came about that the wrong way lol

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
My one post on this subject;

If someone is really serious about the pros and cons of a duraflite, talk to the ones that have run both.

Remember both can have problems as humans put these things together. People really like to point fingers when something fails and say "ha, I told you so"

Getting big MPH is very commendable as this shows HP. Getting that power to the ground and making good ET's is what wins championships and breaks national records. I'll take the ET over MPH anytime.

The are some smart people on this site as well as others, anyone can look at the top 50 list and compare ET with MPH and then see who is putting the hard earned power to the track and finishing first.

Just my .02, have fun.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I appreciate what you are saying. The problem is, if that potential is there, somebody really smart needs to make it available. EFI Live doesn't seem to have any interest in it. I know Destroked has a "stand-alone" Allison TCM (uses reflashed stock TCM I believe). I was going maybe mess around with it until the Ally shit the bed the last time. Already had the Duraflite sitting around so it went in the truck.

I'd be curious if anybody has tried, or will try, the Destroked controller.

DESTROKED's set-up uses a stock 03-04 TCM from a GM truck, and a PCS XFC box to communicate with it. Basically they use the PCS XFC to send the J1939 signals to the TCM for TPS, tow/haul, and OD/LO. This in turn disables the torque management on the shifts and dumbs the TCM down some. What I think needs to happen probably never will as ALLISON has a pretty tight hold on the software for programming the TCM's. EFILIVE barely scratches the surface of what all is in there, and until you can crack it and access more of it you will be stuck with what GM requested from them for stock trucks.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
My one post on this subject;

If someone is really serious about the pros and cons of a duraflite, talk to the ones that have run both.

Remember both can have problems as humans put these things together. People really like to point fingers when something fails and say "ha, I told you so"

Getting big MPH is very commendable as this shows HP. Getting that power to the ground and making good ET's is what wins championships and breaks national records. I'll take the ET over MPH anytime.

The are some smart people on this site as well as others, anyone can look at the top 50 list and compare ET with MPH and then see who is putting the hard earned power to the track and finishing first.

Just my .02, have fun.

The ET will come........ Not with the allison or a duraflight for me though
and the HP will go hgher:D

I could of should of left harder but had just changed suspension and was focusing on that. If im reading correctly this post was directed at me?

personally i agree to get HP to the ground, but HP still rocks:happy2:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Well I commend you for hanging with the Allison. You had all those passes over 140 and still in the 10's. Switch to quicker shifting and lighter tranny like the duraflite and get into the 9's and be an instant 100 lbs+ lighter. If Mike L or Big Dipper can get one to shift like a duraflite I hang in there. I just don't see it happening. Too much stuff going on in the shifts and the computer way too smart for simple dumb ass drag racing. Jerry got a manual valve body and shifter when he bought his duraflite, I'd really like to see how it would do drag racing, shift light and shift like the gassers.:eek::D Would be interesting.

Ken it took a long time to get the shift nice....I had the same issue with flares of up to 5400 rpm

If you seen the log from the last time at the track the shifts where nere perfect a little higher than i commanded but i lowered them knowing it wouldnt shift at the exact RPM i wanted

the fix for getting rid of the 5400 rpm shifts was cheap;)

To me this argument is no different than running lb7 rods in a lbz...Ya there better, But they aint built for racing! Yes some people get away with them but the cost is great and the gain is small JMHO

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Well I commend you for hanging with the Allison. You had all those passes over 140 and still in the 10's. Switch to quicker shifting and lighter tranny like the duraflite and get into the 9's and be an instant 100 lbs+ lighter. If Mike L or Big Dipper can get one to shift like a duraflite I hang in there. I just don't see it happening. Too much stuff going on in the shifts and the computer way too smart for simple dumb ass drag racing. Jerry got a manual valve body and shifter when he bought his duraflite, I'd really like to see how it would do drag racing, shift light and shift like the gassers.:eek::D Would be interesting.
QUOTE]

Ken it took a long time to get the shift nice....I had the same issue with flares of up to 5400 rpm

If you seen the log from the last time at the track the shifts where nere perfect a little higher than i commanded but i lowered them knowing it wouldnt shift at the exact RPM i wanted

the fix for getting rid of the 5400 rpm shifts was cheap;)

To me this argument is no different than running lb7 rods in a lbz...Ya there better, But they aint built for racing! Yes some people get away with them but the cost is great and the gain is small JMHO

We all will be watching to see how your truck performs next year. I hope it all turns out the way you are hoping. Really want to see your truck run in person, any idea what races you plan on running next year? I think we'll be at Mission and Edmonton for sure. Good luck. Ken

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
We all will be watching to see how your truck performs next year. I hope it all turns out the way you are hoping. Really want to see your truck run in person, any idea what races you plan on running next year? I think we'll be at Mission and Edmonton for sure. Good luck. Ken

Ill be working my ass off to get to Mission cant let Malcom and Donovon have all the fun:D

I know it wont be out of the box fast but my truck never has been.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I could of should of left harder but had just changed suspension and was focusing on that. If im reading correctly this post was directed at me?

personally i agree to get HP to the ground, but HP still rocks:happy2:

I wasn't, truthfully Sweet.

Many on that list have looked at et vs MPH wondering. Doesn't matter if it's a 12 second truck or a 10 second truck 140mph +.

I sell many allison parts and very very few duraflite parts, so I have nothing to gain posting honest opinions except to share my experiences with those that are like minded.

I'll be here in the shop tonight until after 1AM fixing a failed Duraflite so I can race in a NHRA quick 8 against some of the fastest street gassers in the northwest tomorrow.

At this level, everything fails and needs to be made better.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Jesus just off the phone with Rob, he just got the tranny replaced and is filling it with fluid now. Will run the piss out of it this weekend in the quick 8. Man is a drag racer. Too much for me...I think I'm off to bed and will be dreaming on how to get the 12 valve dinosaur's feathers, check that scales worked up some more.:D

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Forward clutches Josh, everything else looked like it was just installed. The programming looks good, but there was a stuck pressure valve in the valve body. Caused the problem, or was caused by the problem? That's what I'll find out tomorrow.

Truck is in the trailer and ready to...shoot, I don't know. Hopefully I can put a few gassers on the trailer. Pro tree, so I have a bit of an advantage there.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Forward clutches Josh, everything else looked like it was just installed. The programming looks good, but there was a stuck pressure valve in the valve body. Caused the problem, or was caused by the problem? That's what I'll find out tomorrow.

Truck is in the trailer and ready to...shoot, I don't know. Hopefully I can put a few gassers on the trailer. Pro tree, so I have a bit of an advantage there.

Awesome Rob , glad to see the truck up and running so soon , you cranking it up any more this year ?

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii

good luck :thumb:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
What is so special about today's allison versus 5 years ago? I know the C-2 got a wave plate and now there's the Gmax kits (diferent clutches) but what else is so special? Are the Gmax kits that much better? I have a SCIV that I put in 5 years ago and havent killed yet because I stayed at 500hp since. I didnt want to fork out the cash to build a motor then.

I know most vendors won't say much because it's hard earned lessons on their part and thats what keeps them in business. But really what is so special? You guys that are flaring shifts past 5000rpm what did you do to fix them? :baby::D

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Just put a Danco in it.... then you dont have to worry about the converter issues with a duraflight :D. I sure would like to put a triple disk clutch infront of my allison this winter...:D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
What is so special about today's allison versus 5 years ago? I know the C-2 got a wave plate and now there's the Gmax kits (diferent clutches) but what else is so special? Are the Gmax kits that much better? I have a SCIV that I put in 5 years ago and havent killed yet because I stayed at 500hp since. I didnt want to fork out the cash to build a motor then.

I know most vendors won't say much because it's hard earned lessons on their part and thats what keeps them in business. But really what is so special? You guys that are flaring shifts past 5000rpm what did you do to fix them? :baby::D

Billet parts is one thing and internal mods is another

flaring past 5000 is a converter issue not trans, IMO tuning can fix it but.it's just a bandaid it's not actually fixing the issue but that is just my opinion

as far as mods goes if you want specs you would have to ask the builders.