Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savagebeast

Sled puller
Jan 21, 2014
NE ohio
Well hopefully this alter fire cam idea will be the fix for me because I've already got a girdle, billet main caps, a partial filled block and all the other good stuff and I'm still breaking cranks.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
Brett just tore his engine apart to find his crank flaking, Idk if he was running alternate fire or not though. Just a fyi

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Main Bearings

Here are some Main Bearings I removed this week that didn't look so hot....:D

Attachments

• 4A_mainbearings.jpg
    4A_mainbearings.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 105
  • 4A_Mainbearings2.jpg
    4A_Mainbearings2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

farmtrucklb7

Duragon
Apr 29, 2012
Meaford Ont Canada
I spent all day working on a truck, was told he went to turn around, lost reverse then would crawl forward for a second and stop entirely, got towed to the shop still idling no issues. Shut it off and he went to restart an hour later and hammer! Something wasn't good. Checked all fluids tried spinning over with a ratchet. It would do about 340 degrees in both directions but has a lock up spot, we pulled glow plugs and scooped all cylinders, no visible damage. Thing we can think of is the crank broke. After talking to my buddy about what we think happened he sent me a video, it's terrible quality so I won't post it until I get the original. WOT around 80 mph and free revs hard! I know what limp mode slip is I've scene plenty this is an entire let go imo, we took the bolts out off the converter just to make sure for a fluke chance it wasnt the converter welded together or something. Truck is 01 stock trans "525" duramax tuner tuning. No lift pump

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I spent all day working on a truck, was told he went to turn around, lost reverse then would crawl forward for a second and stop entirely, got towed to the shop still idling no issues. Shut it off and he went to restart an hour later and hammer! Something wasn't good. Checked all fluids tried spinning over with a ratchet. It would do about 340 degrees in both directions but has a lock up spot, we pulled glow plugs and scooped all cylinders, no visible damage. Thing we can think of is the crank broke. After talking to my buddy about what we think happened he sent me a video, it's terrible quality so I won't post it until I get the original. WOT around 80 mph and free revs hard! I know what limp mode slip is I've scene plenty this is an entire let go imo, we took the bolts out off the converter just to make sure for a fluke chance it wasnt the converter welded together or something. Truck is 01 stock trans "525" duramax tuner tuning. No lift pump

Pull inspection plate on trans and look at the flex plate and flywheel...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Farmtruck, You can tell if it's broke right through by A: You will likely get a code for a crank speed sensor out of range or something to that effect. Or B: put a wrench on the flywheel and rock it back and forth. You should hear a knock. Or using two people you will have movement on the flywheel before the converter turns if you rock it back and forth. At least if your converter and flywheel bolts are tight you will. At least those were the telltale signs mine was broke.

Also likely there will be excessive end play in the crankshaft or a wobbly flywheel if it broke near the front.

Don't count out a bent rod too. The piston could be contacting a counterbalancer.
Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
negative ghost rider. misaligned drive unit. These are from an Ariel recip compressor with a Benshaw 1400hp electric drive. :rofl:

I work with recips.. no ariels but some old coopers and enterprise's.. Our cranks are much bigger though lol... 4k hp drive units. They are huge!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

farmtrucklb7

Duragon
Apr 29, 2012
Meaford Ont Canada
Yeah there is a definite knock. I think it broke the crank but won't know until we get it apart. Regardless the engine has to come out of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.